OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, but I LOVE your photos!! The design of this system is simply incredible. #stillfollowing #lovinit
Thanks for the view, comment and follow!

This is freaking amazing!!!!!
Thanks!

Look forward to seeing how your build progresses. [emoji3][emoji106]
Thank you. Like all projects in the past, it's been a fun one.

Epic build. Unique and beautiful
Thank you. I like your screen name. I just finished a bar top made out of old Hemlock.

Quick question - will you put any sort of screens on the tanks to keep the fish from Jumping? These tanks have such a clean look that I can't imagine what that would look like.
I'm kicking around the idea. I want to get a Pygmy Wrasse and they are jumpers.

another incredible pic. I'd love to see a few more of the fish in their new home!
Thanks. More on the way soon.

Clown looks like it is having a poop, ... nice toilet! ;)
Great pic as always. :)
Hadn't made that connection.. Thanks for the view and comment.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 5th, 2017 - Update on Hemlock Bar Top
If you've been following along, you know that I recently moved. In fact the move was a downsize for us. Our oldest son went to college and our 2nd is a year from his departure to college. My wife and I wanted to get into a smaller house, with less maintenance, no pool and new everything.
default_smile.png
One of the trouble that we ran into when moving is that furniture that we really loved didn't work in our house. One such piece was a project table that use to sit next to the 250g tank. In fact, you can see the project table in it's first life sitting in front of the old tank.

Not willing to give up on old table, we decided we'd reconfigure it to work with the new house. This would require building a new top for the table. I knew I wanted to do something reclaimed but wasn't set on the lumber. I made my way to Porter Barnwood where I came across some nice 2.5" thick pieces of Hemlock. After talking with the folks at Porter, I came to learn that the boards were used as flooring in a cattle barn. It's fun to think that I'm building a table out of a board that was used as a bathroom for cattle. Here is the shot I took at the lumber yard of the lucky piece of wood that was going to get a new lease on life.

Two quick chain saw cuts and the once long board is now able to fit in the car. Take note of the dirt, grime, hay, etc that are embedded into the wood. This should be fun.

I didn't take may photos during the build but here are a few to walk your through the process

In this shot, I had strait lined one edge on each board and started cleaning up the top each board with the planer.

Here are the boards after I got them glued and clamped

This was a shot I took during the sanding process. I wanted to leave the worm holes, knots and cracks pretty raw. The table has a story to tell and I wanted to make sure it could still tell it.

Another shot taken after I had put a coat of pre-stain on the wood. Hemlock is a type of pine so it really soaks up stain and will blotch on you if you don't pre-stain.

Here's the final product with 2 coats of stain and 4 layers of top coat

Stain is General Finishes Antique Walnut over Nutmeg. Top Coat is General Finishes Armor Seal (Satin)

Another shot of the table with a few of my other fun projects (Bonzai that needs a trim, Kokedama and Terrarium)

Now this is a thread on my aquarium build so here are some shots of the room so you can see how the table ties into the room. You will also notice that the old project table base has been reconfigured and reused in our new house.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude,

This is like **** for me. Not sure if I'm more into the wood or the aquariums but either way, I just had to smoke a cigarette :) Simply awesome. Quick question. Did you use a hand planer of have the wood planed through a large machine? I'm gluing up a massive sapele board for a dining table and I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle planing it. Keep up the amazing work!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man this is so awesome!

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far! Love the back lighting.
As much as I'll miss your previous tank, I can't help but get excited about a new urbaneks build. :)
Great photos, as usual, too.
Thanks for stopping in to have a look. With all you've had going on with your tank, I'm surprised you've found time to create and read other threads. I hope the reboot goes well for you.

I dig the Hemlock
Thanks! The Hemlock turned out to be a good choice for me.

Dude,

This is like **** for me. Not sure if I'm more into the wood or the aquariums but either way, I just had to smoke a cigarette :) Simply awesome. Quick question. Did you use a hand planer of have the wood planed through a large machine? I'm gluing up a massive sapele board for a dining table and I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle planing it. Keep up the amazing work!

My planer will only accept 12.5" pieces of wood therefore, the two pieces were ran through prior to gluing. This got them close enough for the glue, once they were joined, I used a combination of sanders to get it the way I wanted it. Oh how I wish I had a larger planer but when you work out of the garage, you have to make sacrifices.

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Urbaneks your setup is SICK[emoji4], such a great idea with the 3 tanks.I am in the phase of redesigning my tank after a tank crash makes my plans look like a preschooler design lol.

Pardon me if I passed it but what are you using for dosing ?

OP
OP
urbaneks

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Urbaneks your setup is SICK[emoji4], such a great idea with the 3 tanks.I am in the phase of redesigning my tank after a tank crash makes my plans look like a preschooler design lol.

Pardon me if I passed it but what are you using for dosing ?

Thanks for the kind words. I dose 2 part with a dosing pump. The tank is a bit new and empty to need much dosing but once things get going, so with the dosing. Unless you run a tank that's 200+ gallon, I think dosing is more economical, it takes a lot of two part solution to offset the cost of a reactor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back