Using Bleach (NaClO) in a reef tank

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's an update. So last night I dosed 30 ml no problems that I can see. This morning I increased the dose to 35ml as my actual water quantity is likeky 600 gallons. So far the only noticeable difference is some of the green algae I have on rocks is starting to die and the ich seams to be clearing up. My small powder blue was near death and just coated. Now it only has a few spots left. There's been enough hatchs now that there should be new hatches every day now too so this is promising. Risky stuff but could save my fish so it's worth it. More updates to come as the days go on. I plan on holding my dose at 35 ml

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is valuable for the simple reason that bleach use gained enough traction to be statistically significant for its targets, threads show. doesn't matter about preferences for alternate method, this method was chosen by many and needs the details in these types of threads to build it as a legit tool. peroxide got ten times the kickback, and its a staple now.

back alley reefing techniques that upset the status quo are dandy fun and they don't require anyones formal scholar links to allow the practices etc. these approaches come about because formal methods weren't working.

these reefing techniques that build solely upon post feedback and follow up discussions and pics are gold findings the hobby w use forever most likely, and the pushback is very important to shape them and keep claims within control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
edosan

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much have you been adding to that reef and for how long?? Looks stunning

10ml in the morning
10 ml in the evening

2 days on, 2 days off (something like that), on the days off I add bacteria (WasteAway) and food for corals

I havent been too consistent, since I did treat with Fluconazole for Bryopsis. So I suspend the bleaching for 2 weeks or so...Bleach is more safe (at 1ml x 100ml) than fluconoazole (IME), a lost a few pieces with Fluconazole.

I lost the Powder Blue (in the hospital tank, no bleach, just cupramine) :(

Velvet is contained! and no more dies on the tank... I lost 3 fishes so far only (of about 30) Copperband, PowderBlue and Mandarin Dragonet.

Last edited:

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallon tank? Dosing this does affect the ich for sure some. I'm only on day 3 so it's early to give results but it's definetly having an effect. I'm thinking the initial blast of it knocks it back but it disipates pretty quick. I'm thinking I'm going to try dosing smaller amounts throughout the day and watch.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about bleach I realized that it is more or less like dosing ozone. I still didn't try it personally, as still the tank is cycling, but I'm definitely going to give it a shot. But here is what ozone and bleach have in common, according to people who tried bleach:
Increased Water Clarity
Increased ORP
Decreased yellowness
Decreased Algae Growth
Decreased Pathoginic Bacteria
Decreased Circulating Toxins

It will defiantly not kill parasites like ich or marine velvet. It will kill the fish and corals before being able to kill these parasites, but it will definitely reduce their numbers (possible damage to parasites?), especially when kept dosed in the system, allowing the fish to have a chance to develop immunity.
Note that bleach is dosed at rate less than 1 ppm, while you need 50 ppm+ to kill the parasites.

So basically bleach is similar to dosing ozone, both are oxidizers and both can be using to increase ORP while maintaining crystal clear water and controlling pathogens.

OP
OP
edosan

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread is valuable for the simple reason that bleach use gained enough traction to be statistically significant for its targets, threads show. doesn't matter about preferences for alternate method, this method was chosen by many and needs the details in these types of threads to build it as a legit tool. peroxide got ten times the kickback, and its a staple now.

back alley reefing techniques that upset the status quo are dandy fun and they don't require anyones formal scholar links to allow the practices etc. these approaches come about because formal methods weren't working.

these reefing techniques that build solely upon post feedback and follow up discussions and pics are gold findings the hobby w use forever most likely, and the pushback is very important to shape them and keep claims within control.
Thanks for your comments.

People is scared and Bleach is almost a mith in Aquaria in general, but several others are experimenting successfully with it, and literaly I am risking a lot of money (if you see my tank you will get it), so I am pretty sure it is ok for my tanks. (I have been experimenting a lot before getting this conclusions).

Of course is not scientific (Never intended to be). Just sharing the experience.

Sorry for my errors in english, I do not have much time to practice, but I do my best! (Please let me know if I write something weird jeje, beside using bleach in a reef tank of course jaja)

HAPPY TO HELP (if you think it will help)

Last edited:
OP
OP
edosan

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallon tank? Dosing this does affect the ich for sure some. I'm only on day 3 so it's early to give results but it's definetly having an effect. I'm thinking the initial blast of it knocks it back but it disipates pretty quick. I'm thinking I'm going to try dosing smaller amounts throughout the day and watch.

300g

Let us know how it works.
I am now thinking about adding bleach in my doser.

Not pretty sure how Bleach work in salwater tanks (or what chemical reactions it triggers), but I belive that it get desintegrated due the organics in the water column pretty fast. Adding small amounts during the day might work, but I think it might be desintegrated before any damage to the things we do not want is made. Not 100% sure tho, that is why your insides and comments (from all participating, even those that are against) help a lot (to others and me).

Last edited:
OP
OP
edosan

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading about bleach I realized that it is more or less like dosing ozone. I still didn't try it personally, as still the tank is cycling, but I'm definitely going to give it a shot. But here is what ozone and bleach have in common, according to people who tried bleach:
Increased Water Clarity
Increased ORP
Decreased yellowness
Decreased Algae Growth
Decreased Pathoginic Bacteria
Decreased Circulating Toxins

It will defiantly not kill parasites like ich or marine velvet. It will kill the fish and corals before being able to kill these parasites, but it will definitely reduce their numbers (possible damage to parasites?), especially when kept dosed in the system, allowing the fish to have a chance to develop immunity.
Note that bleach is dosed at rate less than 1 ppm, while you need 50 ppm+ to kill the parasites.

So basically bleach is similar to dosing ozone, both are oxidizers and both can be using to increase ORP while maintaining crystal clear water and controlling pathogens.

You are probably right.
I have try Ozone via skimmer (few years ago), do no if I made it right tho, and the effects where not very similar.

I will add benefits with bleach:

- Better Polyp Extention after 30 minutes of dosing on SPS. I did not expect that, but is consistent in time.

Last edited:

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to give you an idea of how bad things were getting. Here's a pic of my small powder blue. It even got worst.
4cb099814e2177b090e59f922f11a181.jpg

It still has spots but they are smaller now. I've been thinking of what could possibly be the mechanism that's making the improvement....cause I'm seeing major improvements now, and I think the chlorox could be causing the fish to slime up more maybe or it could be affecting the parasite itself. But I'm positive it's helping A lot now.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a quick update. So I was dosing pretty heavy for a few days and noticed my euphillia looked stressed so last night I set my doser up to dose 2ml an hour. I think it's off a little and dosing more like 3 ml an hour but anyway I got home from work tonight and my coral looks crazy good. The next positive is my fish are looking better too. My Achilles still has spots but they are smaller and don't seam to be bothering it as much. The powder blues are still infested pretty good but I think this new regiment is going to be more effective. I can say without a doubt that this is helping and I am starting to believe that dosing small amounts per hour is actually Beneficial as I believe it is neutralizing coral toxins. I'll keep updating but definetly this is helping.

OP
OP
edosan

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to read, yep I agree
Bleach is overestimated in the destruction (Oxidation) power it has, IS ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT DOSING

I have nothing but good experience with it, BUT I must say that all my instincts say: S T O P !!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! jajaja but when I see the results...whow..I already solve a big Dinno Issue (in less than 2 weeks!)...and I should have an almost a full wipeout on my DT a week ago, but fishes are still good.

Now I follow you! I was thinking about hour dosing...I think this weekend I will start. I only have doubts about concentration and duration of oxidation and killing the parasites. I will add 1ml x hour, so in 24 hours will be 24ml...will see (I dose now 20ml)

Last edited:

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we take carbon reactor offline while doing this

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beneficial as I believe it is neutralizing coral toxins. I'll keep updating but definetly this is helping.

What makes you think you have "coral toxins" in the water?

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chemistry isnt up to this. I have always regarded anything which could release Chlorine such as (Sodium Hypochlorite) sold in Aust as 12% Chlorine at time of manufacture... to be fatal to the organisms in the tank. How does the content of this discussion relate to the effort we go to to remove Chlorine from out top up water with RO/DI treatment..?. (I am sure my opening sentence is reflected in my question.)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot wait to find out if the bound up form of ammonia in tap is amplified, more dangerous to aquarium life, than straight unbound right from the bottle (in the dilutions everyone is using)

you've pointed out a great confound I cannot wait to hear. Google scholar had myriad articles on bacteria surviving tap chlorination as well under varying conditions

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back