UV Install on Waterbox 220.6

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefer Friends!

I'm a little stuck... just ordered a Pentair 40W UV Sterilizer for my Waterbox 220.6. I'm stumped on the best way to plumb it - it's too big to fit under the tank, so I'll likely mount it vertically next to the tank. Do I run it through one of the manifolds on the sump and then into the display? Hard plumbing or soft plumbing? Help!

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too long to fit over the sump? You could run it from the manifold into the display, yes - or power it with a separate pump.
Yeah, it's too long for the sump. I'm trying to figure out if I connect it to the manifold, where do I plumb it out to? Just a separate line back up the tank? Because I can't drop it back into the sump, right?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's too long for the sump. I'm trying to figure out if I connect it to the manifold, where do I plumb it out to? Just a separate line back up the tank? Because I can't drop it back into the sump, right?
I have an AquaUV 57-watt, and the reason I went with the 57-watt model is so I could fit it horizontally over my sump in the tank. I utilize a separate Sicce SDC 6.0 pump so I can fine-tune flow through the UV. The intake is in the media chamber (right after filtration through my fleece roller) and output is into the skimmer chamber. This ensures that the UV-treated flow isn't "looping" endlessly through the sump.

If you do utilize the Waterbox manifold you may have to run a separate line into your display tank. Otherwise if you drop it back into the sump you're running a portion of the UV-treated water back through the UV again. Note that depending on your flow this may not be that significant, and the ability to utilize the existing manifold and empty into the sump may be far easier to implement.

I used braided hosing for my UV setup, but since it can augment vibrations/noise I'd recommend just running a good quality silicone hose with barbs and plastic clamps.

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AquaUV 57-watt, and the reason I went with the 57-watt model is so I could fit it horizontally over my sump in the tank. I utilize a separate Sicce SDC 6.0 pump so I can fine-tune flow through the UV. The intake is in the media chamber (right after filtration through my fleece roller) and output is into the skimmer chamber. This ensures that the UV-treated flow isn't "looping" endlessly through the sump.

If you do utilize the Waterbox manifold you may have to run a separate line into your display tank. Otherwise if you drop it back into the sump you're running a portion of the UV-treated water back through the UV again. Note that depending on your flow this may not be that significant, and the ability to utilize the existing manifold and empty into the sump may be far easier to implement.

I used braided hosing for my UV setup, but since it can augment vibrations/noise I'd recommend just running a good quality silicone hose with barbs and plastic clamps.
Oh, that's a good idea. I currently have my carbon on a Sicce... maybe I'll plumb that to the manifold and use the pump on the UV. Do you have a pic of your setup?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that's a good idea. I currently have my carbon on a Sicce... maybe I'll plumb that to the manifold and use the pump on the UV. Do you have a pic of your setup?
Yes I do! Yes, the manifold is setup perfectly for a carbon/GFO reactor.

This is the whole sump setup so you can see everything. From right to left: the overflow/emergency overflow pipes (and the flexible hose from the main overflow snaking out to the ReefMat), the RO reservoir (below that is the main Sicce SDC 9.0 return pump and the dual return pipes in the upper left), the ReefMat 500 in the center, various MarinePure and Polyp Labs bio media, the Sicce SDC 6.0 pump (lower left behind the MarinePure spheres) and the Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer and a pair of Nyos Torq 2.0/1.0 reactors adjacent to it.

B3D102A8-9417-4334-99D7-063E1D228773.JPG

Here's one showing how I have the UV sterilizer setup. Note that mounting it inverted is not the recommended setup (while it works, you do have to cycle the pump at various speeds for a few minutes to work any air pockets out). Input is on the left and output is on the right (it just empties behind my skimmer and reactors). I mounted it like this so I'd still have room in the rear chamber for all my devices as well as being high enough that I could still remove anything for cleaning or maintenance.

8B1EE5C7-D122-4483-B04F-7A73B81E30A4.JPG

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate!

OP
OP
annablankenheim

annablankenheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I ended up soft plumbing it with the UV mounted outside the sump. I plumbed from the skimmer chamber into the UV and then have it dumping in the return chamber (which then goes to the display). I am using my COR-20 to pump to the UV, and since I'm aiming to start with killing off ice, I'm running at the recommended 157 gph by doing math - 8% on the pump is 157gph since it technically runs at 2000 gph if it is at full speed. I know it's not perfect, but do you guys think that gets me close?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back