UV Sterilizer poll

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine 24/7 on my return pump and replace the bulb yearly. Got for dinoflagelets and they are gone since installed. Even under the microscope i cannot find one!

OP
OP
hroberge

hroberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light caused a massive algae bloom meaning all was green! Water changes was green, glass cleaner green, I brought a UV sterilisar and cleared my aquriam within 46 hours, no more green now brown, definitely worth the money as it cleared my aquriam, my aquriam is small but definitely done the job, I only use when lights are on
Thanks

OP
OP
hroberge

hroberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know UV has many purposes (dinos, fish parasites, bacterial blooms)

But I personally feel like it’s just an extra chore. Especially since I switched to ich eradication. There’s no need for it anymore.

Plus, corals naturally consume free floating bacteria. I think a healthy mature tank will not have a UV sterilizer. I personally enjoy running 1 micron filter socks for the stubborn algae blooms, and Dino’s.
How can I eradicate ick ? QT ?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an 80 watt on my system 24/7 for many months. An honest appraisal followed by looking at my tank at night with a flashlight confirmed I was running an almost sterile system. There was nothing moving at night.
So I took it out.
The system has recovered and I have pods, tiny brittle stars, worms and sponges again.
I have it stored and could put it back in 10 minutes if I ever need to.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system has recovered and I have pods, tiny brittle stars, worms and sponges again.
I have it stored and could put it back in 10 minutes if I ever need to.
You can never UV sterilize anything on the rocks or in the substrate, so you'll never be able to completely sterilize a system (otherwise we could completely eradicate ick or velvet simply by adding a UV). And in truth, your filtration system is going to filter out some beneficial stuff as well.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never UV sterilize anything on the rocks or in the substrate, so you'll never be able to completely sterilize a system (otherwise we could completely eradicate ick or velvet simply by adding a UV). And in truth, your filtration system is going to filter out some beneficial stuff as well.
I think it destroys the bottom of the food chain which effects a lot of things you don't directly feed.
IMG_4096-L.jpg

IMG_4097-L.jpg

and perhaps a lot of people dont see the effect because they haven't sized the UV big enough and got the flow right so it can kill ich.
I dont strain my water through filters. I have 2 skimmers and some reactors.
Anyway I am happier since I removed it and the fun little things came back.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back