VARIOS-6 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus CalReact 220 calcium reactor. The pull has failed four times. The impeller is waring out. Every two months like clock work. I would like to change to a different pump. Any suggestions for anyone WHO HAS CHANGED PUMP PREVIOUSLY. Pic of pump and impeller in thread.
20220821_190711.jpg
20220822_083255.jpg
20220821_202318.jpg
20220821_202334.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-093002_Samsung Internet.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue is how hard calcium concentrate is on this style of pump. Exact same issue with pumps in kalkwasser. I'll never understand the thought behind them (and alot of other companies) using such high dollar pumps for such corrosion liquids.

Using an external style (iwaki, dart, even little giant or generics, etc...) is a lot more intelligent of a decision.

I had a refugium/sump dwelling serpent star decide to plug the water inlet on my VarioS 6S skimmer pump melting a hole in the rear interior of the pump where the little circulation holes are (he lived but figured out the dry run protection from Reef Octopus is absolute bs).

One thing I will say is though to answer your question, you can easily replace the original with a jebao dct or similar style pump. I'm 90% the sure any of the 4000 series will be a direct replacement inlet and outlet size and a ton cheaper. A jebao dct-4000 (I believe) is what I replaced my VarioS 6S with because if I remember correctly the dct-6000 uses a longer impeller causing to error out when I tried to use the needle wheel impeller because the size difference caused awkward rotation of the 6S impeller. The dct-4000 was a direct fit and has been on the skimmer over 18months without issue.

OP
OP
Victor Guyton

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue is how hard calcium concentrate is on this style of pump. Exact same issue with pumps in kalkwasser. I'll never understand the thought behind them (and alot of other companies) using such high dollar pumps for such corrosion liquids.

Using an external style (iwaki, dart, even little giant or generics, etc...) is a lot more intelligent of a decision.

I had a refugium/sump dwelling serpent star decide to plug the water inlet on my VarioS 6S skimmer pump melting a hole in the rear interior of the pump where the little circulation holes are (he lived but figured out the dry run protection from Reef Octopus is absolute bs).

One thing I will say is though to answer your question, you can easily replace the original with a jebao dct or similar style pump. I'm 90% the sure any of the 4000 series will be a direct replacement inlet and outlet size and a ton cheaper. A jebao dct-4000 (I believe) is what I replaced my VarioS 6S with because if I remember correctly the dct-6000 uses a longer impeller causing to error out when I tried to use the needle wheel impeller because the size difference caused awkward rotation of the 6S impeller. The dct-4000 was a direct fit and has been on the skimmer over 18months without issue.
Thank you. I tried the dcp 8000. It wasn't even close. So dct-4000 or dcp-4000?

kenjung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SRO should stick with try and true wave blaster pump for calcium reactor. I am still using SRO5000 calx for 8 years, I have to replace the wave blaster pump impeller eventually after 5 years of use. I am sure you can replace your controllable with wave blaster unit. Coralvue should have the fitting to make it work. By the looks of it the grey fitting will work with a wave blaster.

OP
OP
Victor Guyton

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SRO should stick with try and true wave blaster pump for calcium reactor. I am still using SRO5000 calx for 8 years, I have to replace the wave blaster pump impeller eventually after 5 years of use. I am sure you can replace your controllable with wave blaster unit. Coralvue should have the fitting to make it work. By the looks of it the grey fitting will work with a wave blaster.
What size wave blaster pump? I need the model to order.

kenjung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same 9 inch calx but old model with Wave blaster 5000 and 2-1/4 inch adapter for inlet and 1 inch out.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim 1048 or Eheim1250 are the workhorses of CaRx.. cheap and relaible. Not DC pumps though.

You don't need an expensive pump for reciculation within CarX - any pump would do, the longer the pump lasts - the better.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back