VCA Random Flow Generator vs Wave maker???

kLoRRn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval evo and was looking to differentiate flow a little bit better. I have the fluval circulation pump but thats just a constant flow and I simply hate the look of it in the tank plus my clowns keep trying to host it when I put it on the back wall where the filter is as to not distract from the tank. I was looking into wave makers and found the VCA random flow generator. I love how it doesn’t add anything addition to the tank, no worry of fish or future anemone getting caught in it.

Looking for any advice on if the VCA random flow generator is worth it or if I should stick with the good wave maker

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan on putting in the tank besides what’s listed?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval evo and was looking to differentiate flow a little bit better. I have the fluval circulation pump but thats just a constant flow and I simply hate the look of it in the tank plus my clowns keep trying to host it when I put it on the back wall where the filter is as to not distract from the tank. I was looking into wave makers and found the VCA random flow generator. I love how it doesn’t add anything addition to the tank, no worry of fish or future anemone getting caught in it.

Looking for any advice on if the VCA random flow generator is worth it or if I should stick with the good wave maker
A wavemaker will augment (increase) your flow while a RFG will just vary the flow of the return pump. So they sort of accomplish the same thing but you do get more flow and have placement options with a dedicated wavemaker.

If you don't like having extra cables, a RFG is perfect for the Fluval Evo.

OP
OP
kLoRRn

kLoRRn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wavemaker will augment (increase) your flow while a RFG will just vary the flow of the return pump. So they sort of accomplish the same thing but you do get more flow and have placement options with a dedicated wavemaker.

If you don't like having extra cables, a RFG is perfect for the Fluval Evo.
I think I’m leaning more towards the RFG and if its not enough flow then upgrading the return pump

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFG might be enough. The corals will let you know.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RFG does do what it says it does. Just be sure to get a size appropriate to the max flow of the pump you're running (check the site for recommended and optimal flowrates). It will "soften" the flow a bit, so you may want to move the return pump upgrade up the to-do list as well.

Nothing you want to add requires crazy flow, but if you find you're wanting more after an RFG/pump upgrade, the Jebao ELW-3m is the perfect size wavemaker for smaller nanos.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Good to know. I’ll keep that in the back of my head
I had the same tank and you want to grab the sicca syncra 1.0 return pump or for under 20 bucks the vivosun return pump
Personally if I had to do it again id just grab the Vivosun pump because its cheaper and there is no noticeable difference in flow. Plus the Vivosun you wont have to wrestle it in the return chamber like the Sicca pump. Its whisper quiet and just works great! As for the RFG from VCA its a no brain er. Just get the VCA RFG kit for the Fluval tank and your rocking!
The RFG's work amazingly well in the Fluval and you wont regret it. ;)

vivo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kLoRRn

kLoRRn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will "soften" the flow a bit, so you may want to move the return pump upgrade up the to-do list as well.
I had the same tank and you want to grab the sicca syncra 1.0 return pump or for under 20 bucks the vivosun return pump
I did notice that it softened the flow, the GSP doesn’t seem to mind so far. The fish are definitely interested in the change in flow. I also purchased the vivsun pump. I’m worried it won’t be enough disruption to the surface. I noticed consistently despite having a skimmer on 24/7 that I get a little bit of a film on top of the water

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice that it softened the flow, the GSP doesn’t seem to mind so far. The fish are definitely interested in the change in flow. I also purchased the vivsun pump. I’m worried it won’t be enough disruption to the surface. I noticed consistently despite having a skimmer on 24/7 that I get a little bit of a film on top of the water
You're still using the stock return pump?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the kit for the Evo. Took me a little while this morning to pop off the standard flow nozzle but I was able to get it on
Yeah I was a little confused when I got my kit, the owner that makes these random flow generators was talking to me on the phone when I called and said I can't install this onto the bulkhead fitting. He said just remove it from the tank and put it on a hard surface and press really hard and it will pop right on.

You'll like how the rfgs will dance around a lot more with higher flow. Tomorrow when the pump arrives you're going to stare at it and go, and this size is supposed to put out more flow LOL.. that was what I thought and was I ever surprised. ;)

OP
OP
kLoRRn

kLoRRn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was a little confused when I got my kit, the owner that makes these random flow generators was talking to me on the phone when I called and said I can't install this onto the bulkhead fitting. He said just remove it from the tank and put it on a hard surface and press really hard and it will pop right on.

You'll like how the rfgs will dance around a lot more with higher flow. Tomorrow when the pump arrives you're going to stare at it and go, and this size is supposed to put out more flow LOL.. that was what I thought and was I ever surprised. ;)
My clowns host the back wall 90% of the time and I definitely scared them. It took a lot more force than I thought it was going to
I’m excited. I think I’ll need to find a new location for my pulsing Xenia or change the way the nozzles go. It’ll be a fun project tomorrow

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns host the back wall 90% of the time and I definitely scared them. It took a lot more force than I thought it was going to
I’m excited. I think I’ll need to find a new location for my pulsing Xenia or change the way the nozzles go. It’ll be a fun project tomorrow
Oh absolutely it'll be a fun project! A little advice, try and make sure both of the lok lines have the same bent between each knuckle. That will make sure you have even flow coming out of both nozzles. Say you're looking at the side of the tank and the chambers are to the right.. aim the one line and nozzle so it shoots down the side of the glass and the other line I would point the nozzle a little bit downwards and towards the back left corner if that makes any sense. Those nozzles are designed in a way that you will see VCA etched into the side of the nozzle, make sure they are pointed directly upwards to the surface of the water as if you were looking down over top and you can read VCA. It's kind of the way they're designed so you can get proper randomization out of them. I'll check in tomorrow and see how you're making out. Kind of like this if you can see in the photo.

Screenshot_20230709_193812_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back