Vermetid snail killer

IAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of vermetids that snuck in on some frogspawn a while back. They spread all over. Someone recommended bumblebee snails a few months ago, so I put 3 in a Nuvo 40, and now I don’t see any remnants of the vermetids snails. All are gone. Just a heads up to anyone battling them!

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat vermitid snail spikes/stalks too or just killing them?

OP
OP
I

IAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat vermitid snail spikes/stalks too or just killing them?

Stalks gone too... Was worried they would eat all the Coraline but it’s good and growing. The 3 bumblebee snails are still in my tank. Sometimes I see them all grouped up attacking something, but it’s never been a coral

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any before and after pics? I see these recommended all the time but never saw anyone say they actually worked! That’s great! I have vermetids too and they’re getting worse

OP
OP
I

IAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any before and after pics? I see these recommended all the time but never saw anyone say they actually worked! That’s great! I have vermetids too and they’re getting worse

I never took pics of them. I can post an after pic tomorrow, lights are off for the night. When I first noticed them, it was just around the base of frogspawn. Then they were everywhere. If I fed anything I’d see spiderwebs of their strings catching the food. I smashed them with needle nose, surgical dental picks, and they just reproduced. 3 simple bumblebee snails in my 40 gallon took care of it.

kkoranda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tip, definitely beats busting them off of rocks or injecting the openings...

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty bad outbreak of these right now and I bought bumblee bees. I think I currently have between 4-6 snails. Ive only ever seen one over a vermitid spike? There are however a few spikes that no longer seem to be casting webs. Does this mean they have been killed?

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate these dang snails, they irritate the zoas big time.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen one 1/4” in diameter? Length yes, but definitely not diameter

These are the ones that cause all the problems. I just pulled them out of my overflow.

DMSwTyul.jpg

I never had a problem with the thin ones. They stayed in the shadows and were great at filtering the water. The larger ones cast a wide net irritating everything around it.

Andy’s180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just giving my opinion, I have 180 gallon display 210 gallon total volume. And I have been having a problem with vermited Snails for close to a year now. I have try the glue thing I have try breaking them off myself but they just keep coming back more and more and more. Is nearly impossible to be able to sit there and break them or glue them all. I even found them growing on an Acro that I have. About three months ago I heard the same thing about the bumblebee snail. I bought nearly 30 of them and Till this day I haven’t noticed them eating or killing or doing anything with the vermited snails. I did notice that my Coraline algae on my rocks have lost their color. I’m not sure if it’s from the bumblebee snails but that’s just something that I have noticed in the time Since I added the bumblebee snails.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones that cause all the problems. I just pulled them out of my overflow.

DMSwTyul.jpg

I never had a problem with the thin ones. They stayed in the shadows and were great at filtering the water. The larger ones cast a wide net irritating everything around it.
These drive me crazy! They don't bother my corals but they do grow inside of my pumps and skimmer which is very annoying

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that there are different types of what we call vermetid snails. I have thousands of the little ones. Annoying and ugly but basically harmless and don't interfere with any corals. Other people have bigger ones which obviously do. There are some that bumblebee snails eat and others that they won't touch.

The thing is, I have seen next to nothing about how they reproduce and how they get around the tank before they start to encrust their shell. If we knew that then maybe we'd find a way to control them.

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem i had in the past with them is that they will encroach coral tissues and eventually grow under the skeleton as the coral tissues recedes and dies. they reproduce and just keep spreading taking over the colony until it dies. actively removing the coral colonies and frags to scrape off the snails helps but is tiresome.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that ran across my mind the other day was that they cast that mucus net to trap food and then collect the net. I wonder if the power heads were increased and blows away the mucus it would eventually starving them out...
It would be difficult for those of us with sand, but maybe those with bare bottom can test it out.

And to be clear I'm not talking about the cute little ones that are the thickness of a pencil let... I'm talking about the thicker ones.

Now it's your turn to poke holes in my theory...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back