Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with you on that. After buying a Viparspectr and upgrading the board your not far off the price of the new AI 32HD or the 26HD on clearance.
I also agree with that if I was buying the lights new I definitely would go that route, I already had the black box’s so I listed wanted to upgrade them

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning to purchase one of these lights for my 29 bio cube, was thinking of using them on my 12g jbj nano cube till I have the biocube up and running. Do you have a recommended height and setting for the 12g cube which is 14inches wide by 16 long and 12inches deep?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am very close to ordering 2 of the 165w Vipar lights after all the postive reviews. I just need a little push I guess. I will be replacing 2 250w metal halides with the Vipars on a 75g mixed reef palnning for a good amount of acros and other sps. Good choice or no? I will be dialing in the par with the new lights to match my current lights before ramping them up.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am very close to ordering 2 of the 165w Vipar lights after all the postive reviews. I just need a little push I guess. I will be replacing 2 250w metal halides with the Vipars on a 75g mixed reef palnning for a good amount of acros and other sps. Good choice or no? I will be dialing in the par with the new lights to match my current lights before ramping them up.
I can't comment as a comparison to metal halides as I have never used them. But the power of the viparspectra lights should be more than enough to light it. If you tune them in with a par meter you should be fine. Also depending on how high you mount them from the tank you might find some hotspots closer to the surface, just make sure to map your scape with par readings to help you add corals in the future.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am very close to ordering 2 of the 165w Vipar lights after all the postive reviews. I just need a little push I guess. I will be replacing 2 250w metal halides with the Vipars on a 75g mixed reef planning for a good amount of acros and other sps. Good choice or no? I will be dialing in the par with the new lights to match my current lights before ramping them up.
From a photon standpoint you'll need at least 3...
Those Vipars really run around 105W each and you are trying to replace 500W of light..

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current MH setup is providing 200-230 par at the top of my rock work where most of my acros will be or already are. I am thinking the Vipars can can do better than that.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had 2 165 Vipers on my 90 gallon mixed and had great growth out of acros, birds nest and rest of sps and lps . I was actually amazed ! I think they have a 3 year warranty too.

A99C26A9-8CCF-403A-A6F7-FD6E59362565.jpeg A5AF71D6-21CD-4BE0-8978-49DEE72C565F.png

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current MH setup is providing 200-230 par at the top of my rock work where most of my acros will be or already are. I am thinking the Vipars can can do better than that.

The Vipars can do way more than that, and I’m surprised that’s all you’re getting out of your MH. What kind of reflectors/ballasts/bulbs are you using?

I replaced 3 250w Radiums running on the super lumen setting of 250w select a watt ballasts with 3 Vipars. 14” off the water, I’m running B:45% W:18%. Not sure about the par, but my lux increased from 30,000 at the surface to 45000, directly under each fixture. I’m growing SPS all over the tank, even on the bare bottom. No need for a fourth fixture at the moment, but I did buy one just in case shading becomes and issue. I’m also still running 2 of the old school 6’ VHO actinic bulbs (until I run out of them next year).

2 will be fine for a 75. The higher off the water, the better. I say 14” as a minimum for best color blending.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a photon standpoint you'll need at least 3...
Those Vipars really run around 105W each and you are trying to replace 500W of light..

That all depends on how you use them. I replaced 825ish watts of Radiums with about 120 watts of Viparspectras, and have seen no negligible difference so far, even in growth of SPS on the bottom of the tank (standard 180). The higher you can hang the lights, the better the color blending you get in addition to getting light reflected off the inside of the glass.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share any QUALITY images of acropora frown under these lights. Colonies preferred but large frags are fine. I feel like for an sps guru the biggest problem with light reviews are people either posting images of fresh frags they just purchased, somehow giving the lighting credit which isn’t actually deserved, or lots of pictures of bargain bin euphyllia, monti caps, and birdsnest. No offense at all to those who have softy dominant or easy sps tanks. It’s not a knock. I just want to see if anyone is growing any knockout looking acropora with these

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share any QUALITY images of acropora frown under these lights. Colonies preferred but large frags are fine. I feel like for an sps guru the biggest problem with light reviews are people either posting images of fresh frags they just purchased, somehow giving the lighting credit which isn’t actually deserved, or lots of pictures of bargain bin euphyllia, monti caps, and birdsnest. No offense at all to those who have softy dominant or easy sps tanks. It’s not a knock. I just want to see if anyone is growing any knockout looking acropora with these
Maybe people just get tired of it..;)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe people just get tired of it..;)
My question wasn’t for competitive reasons or debate. I’m in the market. Not for a replacement, but for expansion/experimenting

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question wasn’t for competitive reasons or debate. I’m in the market. Not for a replacement, but for expansion/experimenting

Then do a search.. There are prob dozens of threads on it at various reef sites..

I was trying to be mildy funny/sarcastic..

I understand you sort of want "current" standing but the prob. is ..see this one.. oh it's not quite as purple as under MH blah blah blah..and away it goes...

So sometimes I wonder why the question is still asked..

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then do a search.. There are prob dozens of threads on it at various reef sites..

I was trying to be mildy funny/sarcastic..

oh I understood it I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t going to be steered toward another debate. While I enjoy them, they can get distracting from a specific question. Like when someone asks for a recommendation between two specific products and what follows is hundreds of replies of other products not asked about

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quality as in high-res pics of growth? Check out @trido and his 210 thread, grown multiple times over with modified CBBs. Pics of coloration? I find that one hard since things are typically so blue heavy that it requires some sort of filtration or post processing. I have things that have colored up better under Vipars than Radiums, and some (specifically purples and blues) that aren’t quite as good; but I’m not so sure that isn’t an issue of trace elements on my part.

I was die hard Radium/VHO. After one month of using these, I was so confident and happy with them that I’ve bought about $1k worth of SPS frags from varous vendors.

There are times that I think I can see or remember a difference between what the radium and Vipars looked like (I ran the two side by side and tuned the Vipar to look like the radium) but I’m not so certain that it isn’t just that urge we all have to tinker with things. I still run the VHO, but will probably switch them out for blue plus next summer, after I’ve used my last set of bulbs.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Quality as in high-res pics of growth? Check out @trido and his 210 thread, grown multiple times over with modified CBBs. Pics of coloration? I find that one hard since things are typically so blue heavy that it requires some sort of filtration or post processing. I have things that have colored up better under Vipars than Radiums, and some (specifically purples and blues) that aren’t quite as good; but I’m not so sure that isn’t an issue of trace elements on my part.

I was die hard Radium/VHO. After one month of using these, I was so confident and happy with them that I’ve bought about $1k worth of SPS frags from varous vendors.

There are times that I think I can see or remember a difference between what the radium and Vipars looked like (I ran the two side by side and tuned the Vipar to look like the radium) but I’m not so certain that it isn’t just that urge we all have to tinker with things. I still run the VHO, but will probably switch them out for blue plus next summer, after I’ve used my last set of bulbs.
ll check it out. I tend to feel like high res pictures ARE those of good color. I generally scroll right past orange filtered blue pictures. The more extravagant they look the faster I scroll. They’re dishonest. You’re trading one misrepresentation with another when you take images like that.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09CA8DF8-574F-4BAE-B5E5-AE1DCD5FCD66.jpeg

The white channel is off right now, but the circled areas are just two instances of growth I’ve had over the past couple of months. Left is what I think is ORA Joe the Coral, Right is WWC Yellow Tip Austera.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the blue heavy pic, @Bpb. Just read your post. I’ll see if I can post some more this afternoon after I clean the glass and the whites are on. I do tend to run my whites heavier than most people I see on here.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vipars can do way more than that, and I’m surprised that’s all you’re getting out of your MH. What kind of reflectors/ballasts/bulbs are you using?

I replaced 3 250w Radiums running on the super lumen setting of 250w select a watt ballasts with 3 Vipars. 14” off the water, I’m running B:45% W:18%. Not sure about the par, but my lux increased from 30,000 at the surface to 45000, directly under each fixture. I’m growing SPS all over the tank, even on the bare bottom. No need for a fourth fixture at the moment, but I did buy one just in case shading becomes and issue. I’m also still running 2 of the old school 6’ VHO actinic bulbs (until I run out of them next year).

2 will be fine for a 75. The higher off the water, the better. I say 14” as a minimum for best color blending.
Running 2 PFO 250W DE pendants, ebay 20k bulbs was using Phoenix 14k and PFO magnetic ballasts. Yeah I was pretty surprised at the low PAR they put out. They do grow coral well just looking for a bit more from my lighting.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back