Wall hammer frag. Need some tips

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a not so local lfs today, saw some really bright green almost golden hammer in a frag tank. I only had 5 mins to spend in the shop as i had to go somewhere. So i kinda impulse bought the hammer frag. The price list stated ‘per head’ so it sounds like a branching hammer coral to me. So i bought it. It was 80 bucks. Really expensive but i never seen this colour before..so i got it. It was all good till i was driving home and o checked the coral in the bag, i noticed almost half was bare skeleton. Turns out it was a fragged wall hammer... I dont think its dying or anything cause it was in their stable coral for sale side. They had other hammers(same type i bought) in a corner and were not for sale cause the workers said those are not healthy. Mine is supposed to be healthy but i dont know honestly. First fragged wall hammer i got ever.
What do you guys think? Will it live? It was really healthy looking at the shop. Open wide and everything. I dont see any dead brown tissue on the frag.

08FB2437-DC01-4DB3-9683-16780C7C3B1C.jpeg

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably die and should not have been sold to you... I have seen many frags of walls and unless the tissue has healed over the cut then its not sell-able. that will probably just keep receding

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably die and should not have been sold to you... I have seen many frags of walls and unless the tissue has healed over the cut then its not sell-able. that will probably just keep receding
Thats what i think too... dang lol. They said the ones for sale are the ones that are already stable so i thought ok then I’ll buy it. Didnt notice half dead skeleton at the lfs cause it was covered by the tentacles . They had a few in the back corner with no flow and said those are not stable so cant be sold yet. They were from the same colony. Im not sure if its worth it for me to drive back there and exchange it with a pale yellow branching hammer frag or not. This is the one one that caught my eye. The rest i can get for 20 bucks at other places. Here theyre sold for 80. I’ll see how this hammer looks tomorrow morning. If it doesnt look good I’ll text the store and ask if i can exchange

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back