Wanting to Setup Chalice and Acan Tank.

flytrap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Red Sea 130D I just purchased. I want to setup this tank for just Chalice and Acan. Can I get some ideas and suggestions on LR and substrate.

Thanks

OP
OP
F

flytrap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that there are alot of ways to do it. Any pics so I can see your ideas at work?

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably every reefer out there has a different style. I mean there are many ways to make it work science wise, both berlin and dsb methods work as well as others. The thing is this science based approach much work with your own personal style of husbandry. For example, I hate sand, i don't like it blowing around, i don't like to clean and siphon it, i don't like to add it in the first place or remove it when i have to move. so I don't use sand, i achieve my filtration with two pounds of live rock per gallon, a protien skimmer, siphoning of my bb, harvesting of algae, and water changes. Sand does work but not for me, so know who you are first :)

another issue for me is that i do not care about the sand/rock natural reef look, most people do. i am more concerned with the care of my corals than the look of my captive reef. while i agree that reef tanks look better with this natural look, i choose complete functionality. my corals are growing on acrylic in seperate tanks with only glass/silicone/acrylic/some ceramic plugs/ and corals. if i have an aiptasia outbreak or some microalgae or anything, its as simple as wiping it off the acrylic my corals are growing on with my thumb. Also, i feel like my system is much easier to organize and feed/remove uneaten food because the uneaten food is right there to be siphoned out and not trapped deep in your aquarium in your rockwork. my two coral tanks are only 10" deep so i can feed and clean without getting my hands wet. i have tried many styles and have adapted them to meet both my and my corals needs, not just the corals.

i don't expect you or anyone else to use my stlyle but i hope i was able to provide some outside the box ideas to spark your imagination :)

oh and the reason why i responded to this thread is because i have only acans and chalices in this system, they are some sick types of coral for sure!

good luck and keep up posted

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back