Water Testing

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again! I'm looking for opinions on brands of Test kits and What I should be testing for vs not in the past I've used API *I know I know* and had nothing but trouble thanks for the help!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will get many opinion here:

Hanna: Alk checker ( dkh) Phosphate ULR, Nitrate HR
Salifert Any ( I use their Ca)
Red Sea test are good but can be complex…IMO
I started with red sea and switched due to complexity of the kits. The results were fine and I didn't have problems per se with the method, I just wanted to try something different and gave salifert a shot for Ca and Mg, haven't looked back

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salfert or Hannah
Alk
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Mag
Ammonia is always handy
Hope it helps

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for Phosphate (ULR), Nitrate (HR) and Magnesium. For Alkalinity and Calcium I use Red Sea Pro kits.
I agree that for many of the tests Salifert are very good, reasonably priced tests.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with red sea and switched due to complexity of the kits. The results were fine and I didn't have problems per se with the method, I just wanted to try something different and gave salifert a shot for Ca and Mg, haven't looked back
I absolutely hate the Red Sea Magnesium test. I now use the Hanna and although I don’t think it’s all that reliable it’s still worth it not to have to use the Red Sea test.
I may look into adding salifert as a backup if it’s easier than the awful Red Sea test.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate the Red Sea Magnesium test. I now use the Hanna and although I don’t think it’s all that reliable it’s still worth it not to have to use the Red Sea test.
I may look into adding salifert as a backup if it’s easier than the awful Red Sea test.
It's super easy. Nearly identical to Ca, but with a liquid Part A administered with 5 drops instead of granular

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me again! I'm looking for opinions on brands of Test kits and What I should be testing for vs not in the past I've used API *I know I know* and had nothing but trouble thanks for the help!
Me too. mine API showed higher than I like ammonia. I went to Salifert and it showed zero

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. mine API showed higher than I like ammonia. I went to Salifert and it showed zero
I swear when I was using that test kit I had the worst luck,Hair algae,cyano all that I stopped using it and just waiting out and my tank has never looked this good!

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchase the full range of basic red sea tests. These are the most complicated and time-wasting kits I have used. I also have tried Fritz and Salifert. For my money Salifert gives quick, accurate results.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back