Weird white sponge-ish growth?

Fusillijenni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I hope that's ok, and hope I'm doing this correctly.

After neglecting my tank for a while due to pregnancy and having a newborn, I am slowly trying to get it back on track. I noticed this sponge-like growth in a dimmer part of my tank, kind of under and between two pieces of rock. It's about the size of a small orange, and pretty ugly to be honest. I was thinking of maybe removing it, but wanted to see if anyone could help me identify what it was before I start hacking away at it. Don't mind the disgusting state of my rock, as I said, I'm working on it... I know this picture quality sucks as well, but it's the best I can get right now. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220110_171410929.MP.jpg

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ve got it - it’ll be a sponge of sorts. Exact species ID is difficult but most are somewhat similar - it’ll be a harmless, filter feeding organism. Personally I’d leave it for the biodiversity, but no harm in removing it either. Very possible it’ll shrink over time as silicates get used up.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I hope that's ok, and hope I'm doing this correctly.

After neglecting my tank for a while due to pregnancy and having a newborn, I am slowly trying to get it back on track. I noticed this sponge-like growth in a dimmer part of my tank, kind of under and between two pieces of rock. It's about the size of a small orange, and pretty ugly to be honest. I was thinking of maybe removing it, but wanted to see if anyone could help me identify what it was before I start hacking away at it. Don't mind the disgusting state of my rock, as I said, I'm working on it... I know this picture quality sucks as well, but it's the best I can get right now. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220110_171410929.MP.jpg
You're doing well with the posting, no worries.

That's pretty cool looking if ya ask me lol! I have a white sponge that's been around for probably 20+ years, doesn't harm anything, it just 'is' so to speak. If you don't like the look of it I'd just go ahead and remove it, or ask someone local if they want it. As far as species no clue, perhaps one of the sponge aficionados here can weigh in.

Congrats on the newborn, and happy reefing!

OP
OP
Fusillijenni

Fusillijenni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ve got it - it’ll be a sponge of sorts. Exact species ID is difficult but most are somewhat similar - it’ll be a harmless, filter feeding organism. Personally I’d leave it for the biodiversity, but no harm in removing it either. Very possible it’ll shrink over time as silicates get used up.
Ok, thanks for looking! I'll probably leave it alone for now then and hope it shrinks to the point I can't see it anymore.

OP
OP
Fusillijenni

Fusillijenni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing well with the posting, no worries.

That's pretty cool looking if ya ask me lol! I have a white sponge that's been around for probably 20+ years, doesn't harm anything, it just 'is' so to speak. If you don't like the look of it I'd just go ahead and remove it, or ask someone local if they want it. As far as species no clue, perhaps one of the sponge aficionados here can weigh in.

Congrats on the newborn, and happy reefing!
I'm glad someone can appreciate it's "beauty" haha. Thanks for the congratulations and the input. I'm gonna leave it alone, but I really hope it's not hanging around for the next twenty years. It's taking up a good amount of room in there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back