OP
OP
J

jrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters of your water would be a good start and any info as to anything that might have changed recently etc. how long have you had it , etc. also how long has your tank been set up and running ?
i’ve had it 2 months my nitrate is at 14 and my phosphate is at 0.01 my alkalinity is at 8.3 my calcium is 460 my magnesium is at 1360 and my salinity is at 35

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve been moving it around a lot to try and get the flow and lighting correct

That's a problem as you are asking the coral to constantly adapt to different lighting conditions, so it's not a happy camper.

Pick a spot that is within the known proper light intensity and flow for this species and leave it there for a while.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had it 2 months my nitrate is at 14 and my phosphate is at 0.01 my alkalinity is at 8.3 my calcium is 460 my magnesium is at 1360 and my salinity is at 35
The one observation along with the constant changes is your tank might not be fully cycled at 2 months to successfully keep a torch yet. Have you tested for ammonia ???

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one observation along with the constant changes is your tank might not be fully cycled at 2 months to successfully keep a torch yet. Have you tested for ammonia ???
Coral is fine with ammonia... It uses it as food.

OP
OP
J

jrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a problem as you are asking the coral to constantly adapt to different lighting conditions, so it's not a happy camper.

Pick a spot that is within the known proper light intensity and flow for this species and leave it there for a while.
i’ve has the tank 7 months now and my ammonia is 0
okay that’s acc really helpful i will do so

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is fine with ammonia... It uses it as food.
Ammonia in a new tank is a good tell tale as to how far along the cycle process is . That being said the cycling process can be very stressful on any coral especially a torch coral . While it has been said that ammonia in small amounts can be good for coral there is a limit to how much ammonia can be in the tank before it becomes toxic . With a tank that hasn’t cycled there is microbiome war going on as well as not enough bacteria to convert from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate . Coral may or may not survive . The ones that do , I personally would think they wouldnt thrive . Also Parameters need to be somewhat stabilized ie: cal,mag , alk pho’s , etc.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia in a new tank is a good tell tale as to how far along the cycle process is . That being said the cycling process can be very stressful on any coral especially a torch coral . While it has been said that ammonia in small amounts can be good for coral there is a limit to how much ammonia can be in the tank before it becomes toxic . With a tank that hasn’t cycled there is microbiome war going on as well as not enough bacteria to convert from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate . Coral may or may not survive . The ones that do , I personally would think they wouldnt thrive . Also Parameters need to be somewhat stabilized ie: cal,mag , alk pho’s , etc.
Ok, now you're talking about the problem of putting coral into a new tank that's not yet stable. This is completely different from the issue you posted before.

Your original comment only implied that ammonia is bad for coral.

I stand by my comment that the presence of ammonia is not harmful to coral... Coral farmers literally dose ammonia to their tanks.

*As for your comment, "there is a limit to how much ammonia can be in the tank before it becomes toxic . With a tank that hasn’t cycled there is microbiome war going on as well as not enough bacteria to convert from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate . Coral may or may not survive", again, you are talking about something more than whether there is ammonia present in the tank. I can't imagine that someone who has added livestock to their tank has SUCH a high level of ammonia that this would be a problem.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now you're talking about the problem of putting coral into a new tank that's not yet stable. This is completely different from the issue you posted before.

Your original comment only implied that ammonia is bad for coral.

I stand by my comment that the presence of ammonia is not harmful to coral... Coral farmers literally dose ammonia to their tanks.

*As for your comment, "there is a limit to how much ammonia can be in the tank before it becomes toxic . With a tank that hasn’t cycled there is microbiome war going on as well as not enough bacteria to convert from ammonia to nitrite to nitrate . Coral may or may not survive", again, you are talking about something more than whether there is ammonia present in the tank. I can't imagine that someone who has added livestock to their tank has SUCH a high level of ammonia that this would be a problem
There was not a original statement from me telling OP that ammonia is bad . it was a question as to what his ammonia level was . You chimed in saying ammonia is good for coral quoting my message to OP . I responded TO YOU agreeing to a point and pointing out ammonia is ok to a point before it is toxic . Just like coral need phosphates but in excess it will kill them . I originally asked the op for his parameters he didn’t list ammonia . After he mentioned that his tank was up only 2 months is why I asked him for that reading . Never did I tell him his ammonia was bad as even now I still don’t know what his ammonia levels are. do you ?. While responding to you I did voice my opinion of a possible reason of what might be the issue with his declining torch coral . My intention was to find solutions for the OP !!! . What is your intentions ???, to argue with me about something I didn’t say ?. I tried to help OP with questions and possibilities of what might be wrong given the little information presented .my intention is not to be having a conversation like this with you about something I didn’t say . I only asked the OP what his ammonia level was , you assumed I guess that I said ammonia was bad to him . Reread and tell me where I made that statement . No never mind please don’t tell me anything. If your intention is to change the narrative of a thread from a OP asking for help to you attacking me for something your making up to fit this narrative of yours for the sake of a argument , well that’s not a game I care to play and I will no longer respond to you about this issue . Now that being said do you have anything constructive to add to help the OP ??? . Remember You quoted my observation and question .

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia is not good for coral- Nitrate and phosphate are as long as not at elevated levels. The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles vigorously. Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral.
Also, if you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis.
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity 1.025
Ph 8.1 - 8.3
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was not a original statement from me telling OP that ammonia is bad . it was a question as to what his ammonia level was . You chimed in saying ammonia is good for coral quoting my message to OP . I responded TO YOU agreeing to a point and pointing out ammonia is ok to a point before it is toxic . Just like coral need phosphates but in excess it will kill them . I originally asked the op for his parameters he didn’t list ammonia . After he mentioned that his tank was up only 2 months is why I asked him for that reading . Never did I tell him his ammonia was bad as even now I still don’t know what his ammonia levels are. do you ?. While responding to you I did voice my opinion of a possible reason of what might be the issue with his declining torch coral . My intention was to find solutions for the OP !!! . What is your intentions ???, to argue with me about something I didn’t say ?. I tried to help OP with questions and possibilities of what might be wrong given the little information presented .my intention is not to be having a conversation like this with you about something I didn’t say . I only asked the OP what his ammonia level was , you assumed I guess that I said ammonia was bad to him . Reread and tell me where I made that statement . No never mind please don’t tell me anything. If your intention is to change the narrative of a thread from a OP asking for help to you attacking me for something your making up to fit this narrative of yours for the sake of a argument , well that’s not a game I care to play and I will no longer respond to you about this issue . Now that being said do you have anything constructive to add to help the OP ??? . Remember You quoted my observation and question .
Wow!
My intention was to clarify.
Nothing more.
Calm down.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sure sounds to me like you're concerned with the tank being cycled and whether or not there's ammonia...

CoralB said:

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling aside, find a spot with proper par and decent flow and just let the coral settle in. Contantly moving it is more than likely upsetting it. What fish are in the tank with it? Could be you have something picking at it you haven’t noticed. There isn’t brown goo on it is there? BJD could also be a factor. I’ve placed hammers and torches into a new tank before with no detrimental damage but I also used 4 types of bottled bacteria to help jump start the cycle. You could add some dr tims to boost the nitrifying bacteria levels if that is something you are concerned about.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 people now posting that ammonia is damaging to coral, I feel the need (for both current and future readers of this thread) to post one more "off topic" comment. If you're interested in factual info about this, here is a great report that shows ammonia is extremely helpful to coral.
*I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE ADD AMMONIA TO THEIR AQUARIUM, OR THAT IT IS NOT DETRIMENTAL TO FISH AND INVERTS.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 2 people now posting that ammonia is damaging to coral, I feel the need (for both current and future readers of this thread) to post one more "off topic" comment. If you're interested in factual info about this, here is a great report that shows ammonia is extremely helpful to coral.
*I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE ADD AMMONIA TO THEIR AQUARIUM, OR THAT IT IS NOT DETRIMENTAL TO FISH AND INVERTS.

When people ask me about adding coral I always tell them once salinity and temp are correct the tank is safe for coral as they aren’t as bothered by the cycle. But I always add the asterisk that this means only beginner corals and not sps or more parameter stability sensitive corals!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people ask me about adding coral I always tell them once salinity and temp are correct the tank is safe for coral as they aren’t as bothered by the cycle. But I always add the asterisk that this means only beginner corals and not sps or more parameter stability sensitive corals!
Of course! As I said, I am just trying to correct the misconception that ammonia is toxic to coral the way it is to fish and verts.

Back