What comes first?

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! After my tank with the dead rock has been cycled ( I believe this takes a month?). What is the next thing to introduce? Coral? Fish? Bottom feeders?

fishheadreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with my clean up crew first. Snails, turbo snails, and some hermit crabs. This is what I decided on due to not as expensive and made sure that my tank would be good for fish and then eventually coral. I have read and been told to do it in this order.

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the state of the tank, i would say fish as the clean up crew will die off if there is no algae and that for them to eat.Then when your tank gets algae and a bit dirtier then a clean up crew then coral in that order.

OP
OP
Lysh87

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually start with CUC, they are cheaper then fish and more sensitive then fish, so if the tank isnt for sure cycled, they will let you know.

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually start with CUC, they are cheaper then fish and more sensitive then fish, so if the tank isnt for sure cycled, they will let you know.
What is the logic of clean up crew if the tank doesn't have much for them to eat, they will die fast and possibly cause an ammonia spike. A hardy fish then CUC then coral is my suggestion and Ive watched many pros on youtube and it makes sense if you think of it.

Bbfishb81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are a few dollars a piece and they are scavengers, they will eat what they find, including fish food. And if you have a absolutely zero algae in what is suppose to be a cycle tank, then I would think it's not cycled yet. Or if you're worried about snails not having enough food you can put a piece of seaweed in for them.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started with my clean up crew first. Snails, turbo snails, and some hermit crabs. This is what I decided on due to not as expensive and made sure that my tank would be good for fish and then eventually coral. I have read and been told to do it in this order.
This is what I do as well.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably just a couple of snails. I like trochus snails a lot.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would do
6 snails because some will die. 3 for sand and 3 for rocks. No hermits because they will eat snails. Ghost feed the tank flakes or a few pellets to keep them alive.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I’m looking at a month for cycling to be done? I have dead rock and live sand.
I'd wait to add anything living until after the cycle is done. The ammonia in the cycle is poison to anything you put in there before it's done.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Me personally:
CUC yes, and about 3 Black or silver mollies. Will be under $5 for all and will help seed your tank, survive in saltwater and will eat algae.
Also easy to net out when you're ready to stock. Then you can set up a 2.5 - 5 gallon tank for the kids and let them enjoy the mollies !!

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice it to start with a couple snails and a single small and hardy fish, then add CUC as needed. I found that hermits were fun to watch, but they are more aggressive than their small size leads on.

Make sure you research and understand what a cycle is. "One month cycle" is an estimate and not a hard timeline. I prefer a longer cycle, closer to 2 or 3 months, but this is all dependent on your water parameters, not how long since it was started.
The ammonia levels are the big indicator, and will give you the best idea of whats going on in the tank.

I cant remember who said it, but I heard someone describe reefing like this: "We don't take care of fish or corals, we take care of water." Learning everything you can about reef chemistry will greatly help in keeping a successful reef.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back