What fish next?

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering, what should I get next fish wise. I have a 13 gallon with a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp + a clean up crew. I want to get a Exquisite Firefish, as my centerpiece fish. But I also want something that is productive for the fish tank like a sand sifting goby. What do you all suggest? Get the Exquisite Firefish centerpiece, or a Sand Sifting Goby, or waste the money and get both? What are your thoughts?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I’d do after buying the fish is put it in the blender - it would save the clowns time (they are pure evil).

Joking aside, you’ll find that most active fish will become targets for the clowns in so small a tank. Your safest bet is to get something like a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp to stay on the sandbed and away from the clowns.

OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I’d do after buying the fish is put it in the blender - it would save the clowns time (they are pure evil).

Joking aside, you’ll find that most active fish will become targets for the clowns in so small a tank. Your safest bet is to get something like a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp to stay on the sandbed and away from the clowns.
My clownfish haven’t shown any aggression though, they seem docile from what I have seen. And can a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp live together?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juvenile clowns aren’t too mean. As they get older they can get downright nasty though.
Pistol and cleaner get along fine given the pistol is a tiger or candy cane.

OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juvenile clowns aren’t too mean. As they get older they can get downright nasty though.
Pistol and cleaner get along fine given the pistol is a tiger or candy cane.
I don’t think mine are juvenile they might be, but idk. Is there a size to age for clowns (ocellarius btw)? My clowns just like to graze on the rock most of the time I feed them twice a day so I feel like they would not be hungry either.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think mine are juvenile they might be, but idk. Is there a size to age for clowns (ocellarius btw)? My clowns just like to graze on the rock most of the time I feed them twice a day so I feel like they would not be hungry either.
Under 1-1.5 inches is still juvie - they can turn evil at any point though. Not really a set range that I know of.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i agree with shark bait the recommended tank size for a pair of clowns is 30 gallons they r going to claim the whole tank as theirs and destroy anything in there at some point

OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i agree with shark bait the recommended tank size for a pair of clowns is 30 gallons they r going to claim the whole tank as theirs and destroy anything in there at some point
Yikes, I do plan on upgrading the system eventually, and turning the tank into a Frag tank, but is it even a good idea to get another fish?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty small tank for anything like as gramma (my go to conflict avoidance fish), and I agree that the clowns will become to some degree more aggressive. I agree with the watchman goby, tail spot blenny category. Great personalities and should not attract attention from you were clowns

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, I do plan on upgrading the system eventually, and turning the tank into a Frag tank, but is it even a good idea to get another fish?
I personally wouldn’t.
I wouldn’t try a goby as the smaller genera can’t fare well with aggression. Maybe a Clown goby but the sand dwellers dont fare well with aggression.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty small tank for anything like as gramma (my go to conflict avoidance fish), and I agree that the clowns will become to some degree more aggressive. I agree with the watchman goby, tail spot blenny category. Great personalities and should not attract attention from you were clowns
How big do tailspot blennies get?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny loves the rocks and will graze for you and the goby will build a cave in hte sand under the rocks. - I love the Watchman - pistol shrimp combo by the way. Bit make sure you don’t mind shrimp styled aqua-scaping before you go the shrimp route

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back