What is wrong with my tank??

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd, I've had dinos in over 10 tanks over the last few years, never bought a microscope, even tanks with live rock these days get dinos. Something in the new tank, or people are making them super dinos by doing all this different things trying to cure them in 2 weeks.
I personally do nothing, dinos have an extremely short survivability rate and rarely last long term. Wait it out. UV helps.
So many dino threads on new tanks with dry rock... save a few bucks starting with dry rock and deal with dinos, thats the name of the game.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd, I've had dinos in over 10 tanks over the last few years, never bought a microscope, even tanks with live rock these days get dinos. Something in the new tank, or people are making them super dinos by doing all this different things trying to cure them in 2 weeks.
I personally do nothing, dinos have an extremely short survivability rate and rarely last long term. Wait it out. UV helps.
So many dino threads on new tanks with dry rock... save a few bucks starting with dry rock and deal with dinos, thats the name of the game.
Dino treatment is a competition encouragement. You can speed it up with methods tried and tested. You most of the cases can also wait it out but it is not true for all strains and as you never had a microscope you newer will know which strains you were dealing with.

On the side note when someone said to you spend £40 on dry rock for a 40g tank vs spend £300 on live rock is not a few bucks. Same can achieved with dry just takes longer and all you need is a fist size live rock to seed the rest.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had dino’s in both my tanks and this outbreak in my main tank right now is the worst I’ve had. I thought I got rid of them last month but they just came back and raising my nutrients would be beneficial for my tank anyways.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DCC4C66-485C-4C2C-BDB1-9A986EDBE55A.jpeg
A3B59A0C-711B-4CCF-B25D-E112DCF85FEB.jpeg

Well here is my tank after a couple of days dosing, there is a ton of cyano. Am I doing this right?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your setup again?
I have a 16 gallon Biocube and I got really good results from AlgaeFix. It’s FDA approved and coral safe. 1 ml per 10 gallons every three days, so I slightly under-dosed and still saw good results. I bought it online for like $9.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon Biocube and I got really good results from AlgaeFix. It’s FDA approved and coral safe. 1 ml per 10 gallons every three days, so I slightly under-dosed and still saw good results. I bought it online for like $9.
I’ve been fighting dinos so I doubt that will fix the problem thank you though!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the dinos, but I'm more concerned about all the green stuff all over your sand bed. Is that what you're calling cyano? I see some red cyano on the rocks. The green stuff on the sand almost looks like turf algae but I'm not sure what it is as I've never had this in my tanks. Is that green stuff easily siphoned up? Can you disturb it easily with a turkey baster? I think the reason your nutrients are showing as zero is because you have so much algae eating everything up.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the dinos, but I'm more concerned about all the green stuff all over your sand bed. Is that what you're calling cyano? I see some red cyano on the rocks. The green stuff on the sand almost looks like turf algae but I'm not sure what it is as I've never had this in my tanks. Is that green stuff easily siphoned up? Can you disturb it easily with a turkey baster? I think the reason your nutrients are showing as zero is because you have so much algae eating everything up.
I’ll try removing it, but should i dose more nutrients or try to run my skimmer or something? idk

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the green algae was easily disturbed by my long pipette for feeding. I’m just going to leave my tank be for the weekend and see what happens.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try removing it, but should i dose more nutrients or try to run my skimmer or something? idk
I wouldn't dose any nutrients right now. I've read that the green stuff all over the sand may indeed be a type of cyano called Lyngbya. Here's a link to another thread where vetteguy53081 diagnosed someone else's algae problem---and it resembles yours.
I probably would run your skimmer and try to siphon vacuum out all that green gunk

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60E48802-945E-4A0B-A500-2FB18924C237.jpeg

Here is what my cyphastrea looks like currently, running my skimmer now. I have no idea what to do at this point. I’ll post my parameters tonight and I might just try a UV sterilizer to try and get rid of this junk.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do not look extended as they used to my rocks also look horrible. Should I try and do a huge water change or what? I am feeling defeated at this point

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see high evidence of dino.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see high evidence of dino.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I did that about 3 weeks ago and they are back already any other ideas? I dosed my tank with phosphate and nitrates but a ton of cyano and green turf algae showed up. But when I tested for phosphate and nitrates nothing showed up...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did that about 3 weeks ago and they are back already any other ideas? I dosed my tank with phosphate and nitrates but a ton of cyano and green turf algae showed up. But when I tested for phosphate and nitrates nothing showed up...
Do not dose nitrate/phos.feed coral food or add No Pox. This may be the issue. Did you go FULL 5 days and add bacteria and peroxide as mentioned Each day and clean filters daily with lights out ?
What test kits are you using?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I thought my tank had hight nitrates because I had an “oil slick” on top of my tank the past couple of days. And I’m guessing adding a sterilizer with a tank with so low nutrients isnt going to do anything….

How would I go about raising these levels (slowly) or what can I do to get rid of the dinos again!
Replace your return pump.

that oil slick means not enough return. Your water surface shouldn’t be so calm IMO

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dose nitrate/phos.feed coral food or add No Pox. This may be the issue. Did you go FULL 5 days and add bacteria and peroxide as mentioned Each day and clean filters daily with lights out ?
What test kits are you using?
Yes I did all of that, I use api for nitrates and salifert for phosphate

Back