View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roaops butterflies

hawaiian endemics since those will be going away sooner rather than later

problematic feeders like copperbands, regal angels, moorish idols, etc

magnificent foxface
I agree, especially species like the red tail tamarin wrasse and achilles tang which dont always have the best track record.

I think it would be interesting to see more CB butterflies also like the prognathodes and roa species too. Species like chrysiptera rapanui, centropyge hotumatoa, chaetodon smithi and Chaetodon litus would be cool to see aquacultured, though i dont know how possible that is.

And more anthias too would be cool. Especially the likes of the tukas and pascalus. Privitera anthias also as theyre kinda rare. And maybe species from the genus tosanoides and rabaulichthys, and never seen species like pseudanthias regalis, but they may not be open for collection either and a market for all those may be limited

Pencil wrasses too, like pseudojuloides atavai and the likes

Thanks for expanding the species of fish captive bred, always interesting to see what you guys do next, and other aquaculture groups.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dream list...
~regal angel
~ modish idol
~ copper band butterfly

all 3 fish that are beautiful and fit your criteria
could you imagine if you could breed/tech the regal to be 100% reef safe!!! oh my my MY your pockets would be full and so would my tank. ;)
Regal angelfish is one we have in our sights ;Wideyed

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ventralis anthias would be great! Especially if they adapted better than their wild counterparts!
Glad to see you guys offering the blotched Anthias, hands down one of my favorite fishes.
Ventralis are my personal all time favorite fish so I agree ventralis would be great to see, I have a home set-up waiting for some extra time for a ventralis breeding tank.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your site I see you have breed a fair number of different fish. Many of which I would like. Sadly only a small fraction of what you bred are available at any given time. So basically I would like to see the existing fish more readily available. I would like to see a lot more captive bred fish in local stores. Preferably in separate systems so they do not get contaminated by wild caught fish. I feel that defeats one of the major advantages of buying captive bred fish.
At the moment many of our species are seasonal spawners with how our systems are set up. But every year we're increasing with consistency of our current offerings and we're up to a new species successfully raised basically every month.

I agree that we need to be in more fish stores around the country, the stores that perform the best with our live stock have captive-bred only systems so I think it's just a matter of time before most LFS follow suit.

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, definitely agree on the fairy wrasses wold love them but have withheld as they're all wild caught. However one I would really love to see is any of the fire fish. Think they're beautiful with such interesting colour's and are often recommended for smaller tanks it's a shame they are all wild caught.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you guys can get the cost of your captive bred fish down ? It seems strange that captive bred costs so much more than wild caught...... Maybe if you sold more you could get the cost down significantly.
The issue with this is when that fish is wild caught it's mostly just a swoop of the net among coordinated divers while breeding the fish involves housing the broodstock (sometimes for years), food, electricity, labor, live feeds, and months of grow-out. So while wild caught pricing is based on demand or rarity our pricing tries to get as close as possible but needs to take into consideration the months of complete expert care to raise that fish to a sellable sizing.

So we do try to get most of our fish at the lowest pricing possible but built into that cost is everything mentioned above and research for new species. I also believe we have the best breeding teams in the world so its worth it :p

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, definitely agree on the fairy wrasses wold love them but have withheld as they're all wild caught. However one I would really love to see is any of the fire fish. Think they're beautiful with such interesting colour's and are often recommended for smaller tanks it's a shame they are all wild caught.
Firefish are on every company's list at the moment so it was definitely a good suggestion! They have proven to be incredibly difficult and elusive to breed with so many people getting so close. I think over the next few years one of the major breeding companies will have success with firefish and it will provide a major breakthrough.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with this is when that fish is wild caught it's mostly just a swoop of the net among coordinated divers while breeding the fish involves housing the broodstock (sometimes for years), food, electricity, labor, live feeds, and months of grow-out. So while wild caught pricing is based on demand or rarity our pricing tries to get as close as possible but needs to take into consideration the months of complete expert care to raise that fish to a sellable sizing.

So we do try to get most of our fish at the lowest pricing possible but built into that cost is everything mentioned above and research for new species. I also believe we have the best breeding teams in the world so its worth it :p
I kinda figured as much.... That fish husbandry does require a lot of time and effort ! However, it would be great if all aquarium fish, etc were captive bred - then the need for disturbing them in the wild would be greatly reduced.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine captive bred red apot cardinals would be great. Theyre good schooling fish and something many tank owners (<100 gallon) would enjoy. Smaller fish also give reef tanks a bigger sense of scale.

Not a show stopper by any means but should be a staple like tetras in the FW world.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine, I would love to have one of your Mandarins in my 60 gallon fish-only community tank; but am concerned that the fish would not be able to eat well on what frozen food falls to the bottom. Do you think that maybe the addition of a little extra food would sustain the Mandarin in such a setup ?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggerfish of the xanthicthys genus would be awesome! The only problem with them is that their larval period lasts almost a whole year, so it would have to be a seasonal thing most likely. But I would love to see captive bred Sargassum and Crosshatch triggers in the future!
Another species I would love to see bred would be any type of brood-carrying frogfish (Lophiocharon, Hystiophryne). They're eggs are massive at hatch and the larvae can eat rotifers, copepods and even baby brine from the get-go. It would be amazing to see tanks full of psychedelic frogfish!
And really any eels or large wrasses would be amazing to see!

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine captive bred red apot cardinals would be great. Theyre good schooling fish and something many tank owners (<100 gallon) would enjoy. Smaller fish also give reef tanks a bigger sense of scale.

Not a show stopper by any means but should be a staple like tetras in the FW world.
We currently have seal's cardinalfish and I know we're pretty close to a few other new species of cardinalfish.

Sealei Cardinalfish 1.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

For attention, below is a video of our first ever captive-bred red coris wrasse at 49dph which was a really fun one.

This is so awesome!

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be happy with any of these, especially the first two, which I've been trying to find for several years:

1603814640140.png

Magnificent fan shrimp gobies (Tomiyamichthys emilyae)

1603814844137.png

Gulf signal blennies (Emblemaria hypacanthus)

1603815026545.png

Peppermint angelfish (Paracentropyge boylei)

1603815224554.png

Cook island variant Helfrichi firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)

1603815412313.png

Ventralis anthias (Pseudanthias ventralis)

1603815468456.png

Any Sailfin anthias (Rabaulichthys sp .)

1603816731850.png

Any Tosanoides anthias (Tosanoides sp.)

1603815653993.png

Hopkin's jawfish (Opistognathus hopkinsi)

1603815851063.png

Any Navigobius dartfish (Navigobius sp.)

Last edited:

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a captive bred mandarinfish. I tried to get one from BIOTA but i wasnt able to find any in Canada, so I had to go with ORA.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back