What is your preferred test kit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lyrical
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lyrical

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
399
Reaction score
197
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Salifert but I am reading good things about API. I'm a bit nervous to spend the money on the digital readers after hearing some really negative reviews.

So what do you guys think?
 
I use:
Red Sea for Ca, Mg, No3, K, and Iodine (hardly ever use K or Iodine)
Hanna checker for phosphate and alkalinity

I'm red green colorblind and I found the Red Sea were the easiest for me to see the color change. I d never had any issue with the digital checkers, except for the Ca checker. The Ca checker uses .5 ml of tank water for test which IMO is too small. Too much variation in the results.

That said I've seen great tanks whose keepers have used ATI. This is just what worked for me :)
 
I think it depends on what your testing as to what the best test kit is....If it's for phosphate, I personally think the only choice is the hanna ULR phosphorus test (just makes sure you understand you need to take your result * 3.066 and then divide by 1000 to get the result for phosphate).

In general I have been VERY happy with the red sea pro tests kits. They have personally worked the best for me for getting a visual result that I can identify, as well as being able to reproduce results.
 
Salifert for nitrates, mg and ca. Hanna checkers for alk and phosphates. I have a refractometer for salinity.
 
Salinity/Specific Gravity Refractometer 1.025
Alkalinity Hanna Checker 6 - 11 KH
Ammonia Salifert 0 mg/mL
Calcium SeaChem 380-450 mg/mL
Magnesium SeaChem 1200-1400 mg/mL
Nitrite Salifert 0 ppm
Nitrate Salifert 0-3 ppm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new