What RO/DI system do I need?

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, considering purchasing an RO/DI system. I have an aqua one aquareef, 300 litres with approx 40 litre sump. Is a 5 stage RO/DI system overkill? Would a 3 stage be alright? Looking something affordable and practical. Ideally one that can be hooked up when needed and packed away after, something compact. Is it cheaper to replace cartridges, are there systems in where you only replace the fillings? Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, considering purchasing an RO/DI system. I have an aqua one aquareef, 300 litres with approx 40 litre sump. Is a 5 stage RO/DI system overkill? Would a 3 stage be alright? Looking something affordable and practical. Ideally one that can be hooked up when needed and packed away after, something compact. Is it cheaper to replace cartridges, are there systems in where tou only replace the fillings? Any advice appreciated.
3 stage units usually are missing the DI resin cartridge which will produce only RO water and you wouldn’t get 0 TDS out of it. If you want a small compact unit that can be packed check the aquatic life RO buddy, I have it for my reefer 250 and it is enough for my needs. however, with this you will need to replace the cartridges as a whole. If you go with a standard RODI unit like the BRS one you would be able to replace the fillings which is cheaper.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like this work? It's by Glamorca, and while it's 5 stage, it's nice and compact. I'm pleased with it.

20220725_181256.jpg

Relyt4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the RO Buddy, it is nice and compact but I think I'm going to return it and get something a bit nicer. Feel like I'm going to regret not going that route to begin with

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like this work? It's by Glamorca, and while it's 5 stage, it's nice and compact. I'm pleased with it.

20220725_181256.jpg
That does looks nice and compact! Someone local reached out and offered to sell me their osmotic 5 stage rodi system (100gpd) for £60... seems a fair deal, not as nice as this but as long as I can pack it away after then it'll do the job.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does looks nice and compact! Someone local reached out and offered to sell me their osmotic 5 stage rodi system (100gpd) for £60... seems a fair deal, not as nice as this but as long as I can pack it away after then it'll do the job.
That's a great price on a 5 stage!!

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to replace all filters/ro membrain and flush lines after!! Great deal!

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy days, wasn't too sure if it was good or not. Comes with spare DI resin and inline TDS also. A couple months left on the filters and membrane should be good until August.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy days, wasn't too sure if it was good or not. Comes with spare DI resin and inline TDS also. A couple months left on the filters and membrane should be good until August.
that sounds like a great deal

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back