What should my next fish be?

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 20 gallon nano mixed reef tank and am looking to get another fish to add to the crew. Currently, I have two ocellaris clownfish, a fire goby, and a royal gramma basslet.

The clownfish are the biggest (shocker) and are very good with the goby and royal gramma, but can bully the others at feeding time. I was thinking about a blenny or a wrasse as my next fish to add, but there are certainly differing opinions across a myriad of sites and forums.

For example, with wrasses, was looking at the Six Line and the Yellow Banded Possum. Risk with Six Line is aggressiveness, and that can be hit or miss. Risk with Possum Wrasse is i've read they can be very timid and might not eat.

With the blenny, i've looked at Lawnmower, Bi-Colored, and Forktail. Only concern here is that i've read they will nip at stony corals.

Hoping to get a general consensus or recommendation on any of the fish i've listed, or any other possibilities. Thanks for any info and help!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see possum wrasse recommended time and time again. Over and over again like a repeating record. The truth is they are indeed a timid animal and shy and not prone to human interactions.
If u see it and get it to eat you are on the winning side.
Six lines will eat. They will roam the rock and yes they will chase another fish in a 20g. Not for long though. Lol.
I say red or black scooter blenny. Small. Stays on the bottom. Hops around. Kool little guys. Your at max fish though just about for a 20g reef
D

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a lawnmower blenny in a 20g. They are pigs and need a larger system. Not sure on the wrasses. I have not kept those types. I do hear them recommended though, make sure you have a cover.

If you want to go with more fish, look at some of the Eviota and Trimma gobies. You can have multiples in a 20g and they are out around all the time. Masked gobies will swim around even.

The yellow or seals cardinal would be cool too.

I like a splash of color with an azure damsel. They will be fine and small. Just make sure they have a little area to call home.

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see possum wrasse recommended time and time again. Over and over again like a repeating record. The truth is they are indeed a timid animal and shy and not prone to human interactions.
If u see it and get it to eat you are on the winning side.
Six lines will eat. They will roam the rock and yes they will chase another fish in a 20g. Not for long though. Lol.
I say red or black scooter blenny. Small. Stays on the bottom. Hops around. Kool little guys. Your at max fish though just about for a 20g reef
D
I'll definitely take a look at the other blenny options. And yes, this would be the last fish for my tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t add anything else with the two occelaris clowns in there. They will be terrors over time. However if these are added in the right time then it’s not impossible (I have 8 fish in my Max Nano 20g but none are aggressive).
Scooter blennies yes they’re small but they’re also dragonets (NOT blennies). This means they will need a large pod population to thrive, and they will not do well with aggression.
Six lines will get way too aggressive for even a 30g if not given enough caves to play in. There’s no way a 20g would suffice and have enough caves unless the rocks are very heavy with caves.
Azure damsels will get rather aggressive but shouldn’t be too much of an issue (Possibly going to go at the firefish and gramma).
Possum wrasses are great IF you do your research. I had a tanakai and he wasn’t shy, however I had a tank where he was secure in and had plenty of rockwork where he could call home.
The alternative to Possum wrasses is the Pink Streak Wrasse, PseudocheiliNOPS ataenia. Not to be confused with the genus pseudocheilinus that houses some of the most aggressive reef safe wrasses. The pink streak wrasse is a much better candidate and will have a purpose, it can remove your tank of most if not all pests. I love these guys for that reason and will never have a nano without one.
979DF698-3386-44F3-90C1-988799E2A880.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My azure damsel has been a solid citizen so +1. If you get a barnacle cluster that alleviates a lot of hiding issues with the smaller fish and provides "cube hotel" sleeping arrangements.

With respect to many of the "maybe" fish options, it really comes down to aquascaping. If you do a great job and provide plenty of hiding and sleeping spots you can have more happier fish.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yelliwfin fairy wrasse ihadwas pretty timid. Did a carpet dance.
Got 6line now with no issue.
Could lookat a mandarin bit likely require a good pod population unless you get one to take frozen brine as mine does.
Flamehawk?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yelliwfin fairy wrasse ihadwas pretty timid. Did a carpet dance.
Got 6line now with no issue.
Could lookat a mandarin bit likely require a good pod population unless you get one to take frozen brine as mine does.
Flamehawk?
Fairy wrasses need a large tank to swim in the long run, flame hawks can become aggressive to other inhabitants.

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally wouldn’t add anything else with the two occelaris clowns in there. They will be terrors over time. However if these are added in the right time then it’s not impossible (I have 8 fish in my Max Nano 20g but none are aggressive).
Scooter blennies yes they’re small but they’re also dragonets (NOT blennies). This means they will need a large pod population to thrive, and they will not do well with aggression.
Six lines will get way too aggressive for even a 30g if not given enough caves to play in. There’s no way a 20g would suffice and have enough caves unless the rocks are very heavy with caves.
Azure damsels will get rather aggressive but shouldn’t be too much of an issue (Possibly going to go at the firefish and gramma).
Possum wrasses are great IF you do your research. I had a tanakai and he wasn’t shy, however I had a tank where he was secure in and had plenty of rockwork where he could call home.
The alternative to Possum wrasses is the Pink Streak Wrasse, PseudocheiliNOPS ataenia. Not to be confused with the genus pseudocheilinus that houses some of the most aggressive reef safe wrasses. The pink streak wrasse is a much better candidate and will have a purpose, it can remove your tank of most if not all pests. I love these guys for that reason and will never have a nano without one.
979DF698-3386-44F3-90C1-988799E2A880.jpeg
Those are all great tidbits of into and will definitely see if I can track down a pink streaked wrasse. Thank you!

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My azure damsel has been a solid citizen so +1. If you get a barnacle cluster that alleviates a lot of hiding issues with the smaller fish and provides "cube hotel" sleeping arrangements.

With respect to many of the "maybe" fish options, it really comes down to aquascaping. If you do a great job and provide plenty of hiding and sleeping spots you can have more happier fish.
Good call on the aquascaping. My fire goby and royal gramma have already "claimed" their spots, but there should be sufficient holes and gaps in my rockwork, as I often don't see my emerald or some of my hermit crabs for days, only for them to reappear out of a different hole on the other side of the aquascape

IMG_7566.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on the aquascaping. My fire goby and royal gramma have already "claimed" their spots, but there should be sufficient holes and gaps in my rockwork, as I often don't see my emerald or some of my hermit crabs for days, only for them to reappear out of a different hole on the other side of the aquascape
Every month I find a new hole, cave or hiding spot. Those darned fish know my tank better than I do!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most nano gobies would so great in this system. I really like Elacatinus evelynae, Elacatinus puncticulatus, Elacatinus oceanops, Tigrigobius multifasciatus, and Gobiodon histrio.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon display. I think it needs a tang!

Kidding of course. You already have enough fish (my opinion) in there but if you want something more as Denise noted above the Gobies she noted are vital. I wouldn't put anything else in there outside a goby or goby/shrimp combo.

Two ocellaris clownfish, a fire goby, and a royal gramma basslet is what you noted. I'm honestly leaning to you being done. The gobies will use the rock work and I think your clowns and gramma are going to be a bit mouthy...

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 on the enough fish but that’s cus I like to keep a medium/light bioload :) the six line wrasse is fun but might be an issue down the road. They’re fun to watch though

OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most nano gobies would so great in this system. I really like Elacatinus evelynae, Elacatinus puncticulatus, Elacatinus oceanops, Tigrigobius multifasciatus, and Gobiodon histrio.
Would the gobies fight or be territorial with each other? I know it's usually not good to keep same species or ones that look similar, but since most gobies prefer rockwork or good spots in the sand bed, would they "duke it out" for the best spaces?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the gobies fight or be territorial with each other? I know it's usually not good to keep same species or ones that look similar, but since most gobies prefer rockwork or good spots in the sand bed, would they "duke it out" for the best spaces?
Gobies ignore eachother, the only genus I wouldn’t mix with other gobies unless it’s a 3’-4’ tank would be Cryptocentrus.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back