What the...???

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Great explanation Bleigh! I had them earlier this year. I crushed some and glued the easier to reach ones. Haven’t seen one since. But the spirorbid worms...... they just seem to be everywhere. I scrape them to death and then they come back as fast as they left.
Ugh. Spirobids... now those DO spread like crazy. I’ve never removed mine and their numbers are finally starting to dwindle naturally... or maybe my 6 line wrasse is eating them.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Spirobids... now those DO spread like crazy. I’ve never removed mine and their numbers are finally starting to dwindle naturally... or maybe my 6 line wrasse is eating them.
I had a baby six line and my chromis killed it. They own the tank for real. :(

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a baby six line and my chromis killed it. They own the tank for real. :(

So glad I never got any chromis. I hear more horror stories than happy ones.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s some info on how to get rid of them, but what I’ve found make them seem like the spawn of satan.

When they find a place that makes them happy, they’ll attach to it, build a tube and not come out. If you superglue the tube opening, they cant get food and die.

so I suppose while this thing is at the edge of the tank, away from the rock, I should just net it out and send it to the water park..aka flush it? sounds like nightmare otherwise

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I never got any chromis. I hear more horror stories than happy ones.
I had a bunch of blue/green chromis 2 years ago. I had then in QT and they were great, schooling nicely etc. Then when the big tank was ready, I moved them...they stopped liking each other and killed each other off leaving me with 1 scared one before it died. One got stuck in the powerhead...They weren't very big. They were in QT for 4 months while I switched to the bigger tank, barely lived 3 weeks in the DT..each day they took out the weakest link.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re worried, flush it. No harm done. I have some weird things in my tank and I just let them be. The ocean is the ocean. That’s my take. But some like a clean system where everything gets quarantined and/or treated before being introduced. If you want to keep a clean tank, you must take extremely proper precautions before introducing anything to your system. A tiny snail could bring in ich, velvet, aiptaisa, you name it. As for QTing inverts like hermits, snails, shrimps - there seems to be no clear answer here.
I quarantine everything, snails included, I have some right now in QT with my Bicolor angel and scooter blenny. The store always tells me it's not super important to QT snails etc. but I do it anyway, just in case... I don't want to take chances, I've had my clowns since I started with SW 9 yrs ago, my starter fish :) Not risking their 9 yrs of perfect health. *knock on wood

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine everything, snails included, I have some right now in QT with my Bicolor angel and scooter blenny. The store always tells me it's not super important to QT snails etc. but I do it anyway, just in case... I don't want to take chances, I've had my clowns since I started with SW 9 yrs ago, my starter fish :) Not risking their 9 yrs of perfect health. *knock on wood

If it makes you feel better, I’m not sure that qt would have stopped a vermetid snail. I don’t know anything about peanut worms.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I went down the next morning after all this and the stupid thing is missing! Wondering where it's going to show up again and how many friends it bring....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back