whats your thoughts on LiveAquaria and Divers Den

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1DD. I've ordered a number of fish from both LA and DD. Never an issue with DD, but my first shipment from LA resulted in a total fish die off in quarantine. It was one of my earlier experiences with QT, so can't fault them entirely. They also took care of my shipment / expense. Did I mention their insane packaging???

Additionally, I have (occasionally) been able to get them to hold a fish for a bit while I wait for another (save on shipping). Their fish are usually eating well - and honestly, I think that's the most important thing for successful transition.

I would recommend full QT for any fish purchase. I do Tank Transfer Method, and have had good success.
For me, a small premium for a fish with good chance for successful establishment in my reef tank = worth it.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using L.A. for as long as I can remember (back when it used to be called Flying Fish Express). I have always been happy with the quality of the livestock that they carry as well as their "arrive alive stay alive guarantee". I've recently been looking into their Divers Den selection and wonder if I'm better off buying from there rather than QTing on my own. The price difference is pretty substantial but by the time I buy all the meds (copper, metro, praziquantel, etc) and spend the time (often losing the fish at some point anyway) am I better off spending the extra cash on a fish that's already been treated? According to the website the fish in the DD are observed for health, treated for common parasites, ich/velvet and clown fish are treated for Brooklynella. Has anyone bought from DD and had issues with any of the things that they say they treat for? From your experience, if I buy from the DD then QT/Observe only for a couple weeks can I be confident that I can release the fish into my DT without introducing any parasites/disease. Or am I better off continuing to QT/Treat fish on my own to be 100% sure? @Humblefish , @4FordFamily , @melypr1985 , @HotRocks.

What Say You??

I bought considerable amount of corals, one order. Trash what they sent me. Got my money back. Used a cc. I'll never buy from them . They won't be around soon.

Keith Burns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ate your thoughts on Fishy Business Aquatic?

I have limited space and money for QT. Can I get away with a 6.5 gallon tank with HOB biowheel filter cheap led lite and heater for two or three small fish at a time?

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have limited space and money for QT. Can I get away with a 6.5 gallon tank with HOB biowheel filter cheap led lite and heater for two or three small fish at a time?

Depending on the size of the fish that will work. Small is a subjective term at times. For larger fish 6.5 may be way too small. QT tanks don't take much it's a bare bones set up. You could take that same filter and heater and put it on a larger tank from Petco dollar per gallom sale. or find a cheap used tank locally.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ..... I'm skeptical ..... not that it's coming, but that it's a viable business model. I just don't see how the numbers work, but I hope they do.

The most expensive fish is always the ones that don’t make it. The numbers make more since than a lot of places let on. Fish like leopard wrasses, dragonettes and powder blue tangs are only $3 transhipped, flame angels for $20 and flame wrasses for $40 or $75 m/f. Shipping adds more cost but not that much so you can’t make a profit. DD/LA are worth the price because they stand behind their fish and offer phenomenal customer service. UPS left two boxes of mine in their warehouse that LA replaced no hassle. While I have got sick fish from LA typically what I receive is in good overall health.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of your LFS and LA get their fish from the same place...
My LFS’ tanks are full of disease. I bet he loses 20% in the store and replaces (at 50%) another 40% that die in customer tanks. They also buy very few captive raised fish. Even the vast majority of clowns they sell are wild caught. They have a habit of labeling fish incorrectly because “that’s the closest sign we’ve got.” I watched them try to sell a 5-6” peacock mantis to someone with a community tank. The other LFS carry few fish as their specialty are corals, but at least their fish are selected, treated, observed, acclimated and then sold. But like I said, they have very few fish and typically only stuff they can sell easily.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ate your thoughts on Fishy Business Aquatic?

My QT is 5 gallons which is about the same size (maybe bigger!) than the cubicle fish go in at the LFS puts them in. I would never put a tang in it but it’s ok for a few gobies or blennies..... you know, little stuff. I have a tank that’s 20 gallons I use for larger stuff but I don’t leave it up.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS’ tanks are full of disease. I bet he loses 20% in the store and replaces (at 50%) another 40% that die in customer tanks. They also buy very few captive raised fish. Even the vast majority of clowns they sell are wild caught. They have a habit of labeling fish incorrectly because “that’s the closest sign we’ve got.” I watched them try to sell a 5-6” peacock mantis to someone with a community tank. The other LFS carry few fish as their specialty are corals, but at least their fish are selected, treated, observed, acclimated and then sold. But like I said, they have very few fish and typically only stuff they can sell easily.

I only have one LFS everything I have ever bought died within a week of purchase. When I asked him for some help (after spending hundreds and still having no fish) he says that’s just the nature of the hobby...... that was the last time I walked in his store and I’m BIG on supporting local businesses in our smallish town.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one LFS everything I have ever bought died within a week of purchase. When I asked him for some help (after spending hundreds and still having no fish) he says that’s just the nature of the hobby...... that was the last time I walked in his store and I’m BIG on supporting local businesses in our smallish town.
I agree. I buy dry goods there because they have a better selection. I have bought a few snails from there. Nothing else though. I will say his freshwater fish are ok. I think he makes all of his money there and just has SW stuff cause he can!

jason aung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month I ordered the coral from DD and they shipped the coral with cloudy dirty water.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month I ordered the coral from DD and they shipped the coral with cloudy dirty water.
Ewwwwww... I just ordered from Jason Fox. I did a “Jason’s Pick” package. His packing and shipping was incredible.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't generally order corals from LA/DD .... I prefer either to buy them locally or in trades with local reefers. My experiences with online is almost exclusively fish or mobile inverts.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing but issues with livestock from any where but their Wisconsin facility.
I had not ordered from them in a while so I just gave them a shot. 3 different items one from each facility.
As usually the WI one showed up packed well and in perfect shape with water in the mid 70's.
The other two fromm Florida and California came with water in the 60's.

One pack all three fish were laying on the bottom. They placed the icepack right on the bag. I had the exact thing happen a while back twice and that is why I stopped ordering from them unless from WI LA.

I have been sent the wrong items before too...

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a fish from the DD portion of their site, which I believe all come from WI? It arrived DOA yesterday, with water at 68 degrees. No option is perfect it seems. It's hard to stock a tank these days as not many sources seem to be all the great.

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still QT any DD specimens. Even if you don't want to prophylactically medicate, at least observe for 1 month before adding the fish to your DT.

I just lost a wrasse from DD after 3 weeks in QT. The poor thing had bad internal parasites and would not take medicated food. I think it’s nice to be able to purchase the actual fish you see but you still should treat it like any other new arrival. Edit it also arrived in water at 65 degrees which no doubt contributed to its stress.

Last edited:

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have only stocked my tank with fish from DD exclusively and have no QT, no problems yet. Yes I know I should QT, please don't yell at me! I have also heard good things about TSM corals, is it true they QT every fish? Can anyone verify this? Was thinking about using them when I eventually get some tangs because of how ich prone they can be, not sure DD protocol will be enough.

Yes, you are correct that TSM does a thorough quarantine. They run a nice operation. You can call or stop by and talk to them, either about their livestock or quarantine procedures. They’re more than happy to explain their QT methods. Like usual, you pay a premium for this extra step they take but it’s well worth it.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said... The only way you'll know the fish were QT'd properly is if you do it yourself. NEVER RISK DISEASE IN YOUR DISPLAY ON SOMEONE ELSE'S WORD. Though it would be a bonus to get a fish that was somewhat treated, rather then not treated at all, and treat it yourself anyway.

The only reason I'd pay extra is if they had something I wanted that wasn't available in the other section.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back