When can I add pom pom crabs/s?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be cycling my tank as soon as I finish my stand (hopefully within a week) and I want to have one or two pom poms in it.

It's going to be a 20g anemone/clown cube and i think these would be a neat addition.

How soon can I add 1-2 of these?

Do they count as cuc, so do I add when I start adding snails, then fish? Or should I wait till after fish?

I only plan on having 2 clowns in this tank.

roninmagik1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few pom poms over the years, i never specifically target fed them. I can't give too much expert advice, but i did have one that lasted for a long time, in a 40 breeder. barely ever saw him, maybe once a month, really cool little guy. i think in a smaller tank, you'd see him more, and as far as feeding, if you figure out where he stays at, you could target feed some food there.

as far as when you can add one, i'd say to be safe, give it some time, and add him after you have a regular clean up crew and they're doing well.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, never see him, he could be dead for all I know.

I would wait, as if like mind your hides 99% of the time, the tank is going to need a lot of food for him to survive, a new/clean tank probably won’t do it, as mind doesn’t come out at feeding time either.

ThemytB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 55 fowlr tank he lived for years until I got rid of that tank, he just showed up in some live rock one day, lost his nems pretty quick- never gave him any special care, he was just there.
i'd get more in a heartbeat except I think some of my fish would make a meal out of him.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting excited about the idea of having 1-2 before I put the clowns in, but now sounds more like I should wait till closer to when I add my first anemone.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting excited about the idea of having 1-2 before I put the clowns in, but now sounds more like I should wait till closer to when I add my first anemone.

yeah me too, I was thinking he would be walking around the tank waving his Pom poms about, but no it’s not like that unfortunately.

If you want something that gives some action to the tank, shrimps all day all. And with a watchman goby is even better.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah me too, I was thinking he would be walking around the tank waving his Pom poms about, but no it’s not like that unfortunately.

If you want something that gives some action to the tank, shrimps all day all. And with a watchman goby is even better.
Yeah, I was hoping for that too lol, im getting excited because I'll be starting my cycle soon.

I have read a lot of shrimp tend to steal from anemones so I'm on the fence about them. I like how they look though so I may try still. It's a small tank so I can always remove.

I am not familiar with that goby but will look into. I really haven't thought about any more fish, just the clowns.

I'm trying to keep it simple this time so I can keep it under control.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always try to target-feed it. Porcelain crabs are filter-feeders, but can be kept healthy in smaller tanks by just giving them food. I use long tweezers to hand a frozen mysis shrimp to mine every few days. I've never tried to feed a pom-pom crab, but I bet you could train them to take food from tweezers.

Watchman gobies, AKA shrimpgobies, are ones that form a host relationship with some species of pistol shrimp. A shrimpgoby and a pistol shrimp makes a great combination, and pistol shrimp won't bother your pom-pom crabs. Unless the pom-pom goes into its burrow.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was hoping for that too lol, im getting excited because I'll be starting my cycle soon.

I have read a lot of shrimp tend to steal from anemones so I'm on the fence about them. I like how they look though so I may try still. It's a small tank so I can always remove.

I am not familiar with that goby but will look into. I really haven't thought about any more fish, just the clowns.

I'm trying to keep it simple this time so I can keep it under control.
You are going through the same dilemma i did with shrimps, cleaner shrimps are amazing to watch and generally considered safe, sexy shrimps too but are very small, the shrimp goby pair are amazing to watch too, with the shrimp not being able to see very well so the goby keeps watch whilst the poor shrimp digs and digs and digs lol

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try to target-feed it. Porcelain crabs are filter-feeders, but can be kept healthy in smaller tanks by just giving them food. I use long tweezers to hand a frozen mysis shrimp to mine every few days. I've never tried to feed a pom-pom crab, but I bet you could train them to take food from tweezers.

Watchman gobies, AKA shrimpgobies, are ones that form a host relationship with some species of pistol shrimp. A shrimpgoby and a pistol shrimp makes a great combination, and pistol shrimp won't bother your pom-pom crabs. Unless the pom-pom goes into its burrow.
Are those the ones that burrow in the sand together?? Those are cool to watch!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, those are pistol shrimp. Get a tiger pistol (hits about 3") or a candycane pistol (usually under 2"), add a shrimpgoby that you've researched to make sure it's actually a shrimp-pairing species, and you have a great thing to watch. I'd say a yasha haze or antenna goby, just since they're small and have less bioload, but most species should be fine. They shouldn't have any issues with the clowns or anemone, since they live under rocks.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware of what you are getting into, if you don’t mind the pair of them going around your tank moving sand and digging under rocks constantly then you can’t go wrong with them.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware of what you are getting into, if you don’t mind the pair of them going around your tank moving sand and digging under rocks constantly then you can’t go wrong with them.
I will definitely add this to my research list. I do remember loving the trio my lfs had last time I had a tank.

I really do appreciate all the helpful feedback.
I'm taking a long time planning this out and I definitely feel better being able to come here for help.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, one note for pistol shrimp: make sure your rocks are resting on the bottom of the tank, instead of on the sand, otherwise they can shift when the pistol burrows. Also, provide it with a few big handfuls of shell bits to build with, if possible. They like things they can shore up their tunnels with.

heybae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pompoms never see them. My tank is just around two months got them at 3 weeks I defrost misis shrimp squirt some in front them they are doing great but don’t see them and have to be carful with fish I might want to add.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back