Which eel is best for me (zebra or snowflake)?

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

My long term goal is to have either a snowflake eel or a zebra eel in my 135 gallon FOWLR tank (Reefer 625). I like that the zebra eel is reef safe compared to the snowflake eel, but I'd also like to see it's head pop out once in a while not just around feeding time. For those that have eels, any suggestions how to encourage them to stick their head out more?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest either Zebra or a different species related to the snowflake. The reason I go against snowflakes is because when they reach a certain age/size they switch from eating crustaceans to eating fish. It's a pretty rapid switch and one day you may be missing a random fish. The relatives of the snowflake are not, to my knowledge, recorded to do this.
Of course, there is a perfectly good chance that it will be fine but it is a risk you will have to consider.
Good luck!

OP
OP
ajtomase

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest either Zebra or a different species related to the snowflake. The reason I go against snowflakes is because when they reach a certain age/size they switch from eating crustaceans to eating fish. It's a pretty rapid switch and one day you may be missing a random fish. The relatives of the snowflake are not, to my knowledge, recorded to do this.
Of course, there is a perfectly good chance that it will be fine but it is a risk you will have to consider.
Good luck!
Thanks! Any tips if I get a zebra eel how to get it to show itself a little more?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure exactly what you mean by reef safe. Reef safe in it's truest meaning, means the animal will not eat coral. Which neither eel will. Liveaquaria and a few other sites mark things often times (at their own admission) as "reef safe with caution" if they will not harm the corals but will eat the inverts usually associated with/needed for a reef tank. So if you are looking for an eel that wont eat coral, either. If you are looking for one that won't eat inverts, then neither. And if you are looking for one that won't eat fish, I think that has more to do with the size of the eel and the size and type of fish you have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Snowflake. Easy to care for, does not grow huge and easy to feed

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont acc know much about eels but i really want one, but my tank is 20g. Is there any eel that fits in a tank that size? Garden eel maybe?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tesselata Eel in my old 60 gallon FOWLR and it was awesome. Never jumped, never ate tank mates, and was hand fed squid all the time. He was also very visable and rarely hid. I would love to put a small one one in my 90gal once it’s up but haven’t done any research to see if they’re going to be a risk to the other planned inhabitants.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont acc know much about eels but i really want one, but my tank is 20g. Is there any eel that fits in a tank that size? Garden eel maybe?
Get the next best thing : Engineer goby. . . ideal for 20g

engineer.jpg

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had many of each. I would go with the zebra. Make sure to build a pvc network through the rocks. Start the zebra on fiddler crabs. They can’t resist them. As you lure them with the feeding response over time they will come out when you’re near the tank. Usually in the evening they will move out of their cave and swim around the tank. If you set up two islands in your tank each containing a pvc network, they will move back and forth quite a bit. They can do well in a 135 but are heavy on the bio load. They will never bother your fish

snowflakes on the other hand as they approach full size may in fact go after your fish in their sleep.

one other thing Zebra morays are much more docile and their bite does not hurt it only causes pressure even for their size. Snowflakes full grown will break the skin.

NO3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very active snowflake eel for about 8 years. It swims everywhere and does hide too. IMO, my eel is too big for my 90 gallon tank. It doesn’t eat any of my other fish nor does it bother them.

NO3

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the next best thing : Engineer goby. . . ideal for 20g

engineer.jpg
Ive heard of those... Maybe ill look into those. Current plan is adding a female ruby red because im about to add lots of pods to help me get rid of algae and dinos, then before population crashes due to overpopulation im going to add a ruby red and train her onto pellets and frozen when i first inttroduce her to tank in breeding box

breefrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After feeding my snowflake and fimbriated morays, they hide completely for 2 days. They only cruise around when theyre hungry - thats their nature. Whatever the species, if youre trying to see it more, feed lighter. Feed with tongs and make it come out for the food. They cant see very well and go mostly by smell.
Use PVC or ABS pipe and arrange so the end(s) are where you can see them. The length should be at least the length of the eel, and the width shouldnt be too much bigger than the eels current width, so they feel secure and are more likely to choose the spot you made instead of wedging between a rock and the back wall.
My experience with zebras is that they are very reclusive. Snowflakes on the other hand have been the most active. If youre planning on larger or deep bodied fish like tangs, Id go snowflake for sure. I think zebras are more peaceful in temperament. But if you want any inverts besides snails, go with engineer gobies. Theyre equally cool and way less trouble.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back