White bugs Acropora id

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone Id if these are white bugs on my acro?

Colony is still growing but shows no color (was pink and purple, now brown) the acro in the video is a frag I took of the colony to get it closer to the glass for inspection.

Also it looks like it's the only acro who's infected, should I use interceptor/milbemax or am I better off by pulling out the colony and throw it away?

In the video you can see one crawling on the top of the right branch

IMG_20210221_100728.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone Id if these are white bugs on my acro?

Colony is still growing but shows no color (was pink and purple, now brown) the acro in the video is a frag I took of the colony to get it closer to the glass for inspection.

Also it looks like it's the only acro who's infected, should I use interceptor/milbemax or am I better off by pulling out the colony and throw it away?

In the video you can see one crawling on the top of the right branch

IMG_20210221_100728.jpg
It’s best to get a microscope to see exactly what they are. There are some copepods and amphipods and some are parasitic and some aren’t.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like red bugs which actually favor acro. You can try a dip until milbemax arrives.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have the milbemax ready in a cup but I wanted to have more confirmation I'm dealing with "pest" bugs
16143804546667161526008864974509.jpg
YOU CAN DRY A DIP FIRST. May knock them down. Look underneath plug for eggs and any other crawlers.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dip in milbemax you mean? The other dips i have is coralrx
Under the recommended Interceptor treatment protocol, you would need to "dip" for 24 hours in order to kill the bugs.

CoralRx may stun the bugs, but it won't kill them. Bugs that crawl on live coral flesh should be treated as a parasite.

Most professional acropora aquaculture folks (in USA) regularly treat their systems with milbemycin oxime once or twice a year. Most also QT new acropora in milbemycin for a day or two. The stuff also kills aefw which I found surprising.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the recommended Interceptor treatment protocol, you would need to "dip" for 24 hours in order to kill the bugs.

CoralRx may stun the bugs, but it won't kill them. Bugs that crawl on live coral flesh should be treated as a parasite.

Most professional acropora aquaculture folks (in USA) regularly treat their systems with milbemycin oxime once or twice a year. Most also QT new acropora in milbemycin for a day or two. The stuff also kills aefw which I found surprising.
Thankyou for replying, yesterday I did a 3x milbemycin oxime dose and all corals and fish seem happy and thriving.

I did this for 12h until I did a wc and added carbon + skimmer.

No bugs seen since buts a bit early to say!

The next 2 weeks i will do the same dose as yesterday.

In my country only milbemax is available but it's milbemycin + praziquantel.

Do you think 12h was too short? Is 24h better ?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for replying, yesterday I did a 3x milbemycin oxime dose and all corals and fish seem happy and thriving.

I did this for 12h until I did a wc and added carbon + skimmer.

No bugs seen since buts a bit early to say!

The next 2 weeks i will do the same dose as yesterday.

In my country only milbemax is available but it's milbemycin + praziquantel.

Do you think 12h was too short? Is 24h better ?
Glad everyone seems happy. I've really not heard of a negative outcome from milbemycin. If you keep dragonettes or pipefish, well, they might disagree as this stuff kills the good and the bad pods. Some people have said it didn't "work", but I have not read of fish or coral casualties from treatment.

Opinions on exposure time are mixed, but the guys I follow prefer the 24 hour period, 3X dose, and 3 weekly treatments.

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everyone seems happy. I've really not heard of a negative outcome from milbemycin. If you keep dragonettes or pipefish, well, they might disagree as this stuff kills the good and the bad pods. Some people have said it didn't "work", but I have not read of fish or coral casualties from treatment.

Opinions on exposure time are mixed, but the guys I follow prefer the 24 hour period, 3X dose, and 3 weekly treatments.
Ok i don't have any of those fish so that won't be a problem!

Next weekend I'll might do a 24h treatment, won't it matter that the skimmer doesn't do it's job for so long?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back