OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats right! I think you told me that. :face-with-rolling-eyes: Any ideas on using something else that would work, to save nothing having to purchase something like that?
Put it somewhere cold. Like a basement. Or the coldest room you have. I’d recommend 70F the max.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the perfect diet. 100% Greek yogurt. That is all you need. They are exploding in growth and I’m feeding my tank every day. I have too many worms now.
Just yogurt! I hadn't seen that anywhere before. I'll give that a go.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I didn’t think you’d catch the heart cheerios.

This is the soil I use.
image.jpg
AB833EBE-29C7-469E-B2C4-856AC94B0D74.jpeg
Thanks for posting this. I love the way your cat photo bombed the pic. LOL

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just yogurt! I hadn't seen that anywhere before. I'll give that a go.
Yes! Just yogurt. I’ve experimented with many different diets (variety of different fish flakes/pellets), yogurt with bread, yogurt with oatmeal, yogurt with cheerios.

The worms just flock to the yogurt. They will only seem to finish the “carb” source once the yogurt is done.

Switching to only yogurt was very experimental, but the worms absolutely flourished. I need more fish now lol.

Imagine if I feed my fish a diet of liveworms. That’s interesting. Ha. I fed my fish LRS fish frenzy, white worms, and nori.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the type you get say the scientific name by any chance? I'm in Canada and I saw some for sale known as Enchytraeus albidus.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Just yogurt. I’ve experimented with many different diets (variety of different fish flakes/pellets), yogurt with bread, yogurt with oatmeal, yogurt with cheerios.

The worms just flock to the yogurt. They will only seem to finish the “carb” source once the yogurt is done.

Switching to only yogurt was very experimental, but the worms absolutely flourished. I need more fish now lol.

Imagine if I feed my fish a diet of liveworms. That’s interesting. Ha. I fed my fish LRS fish frenzy, white worms, and nori.
I’m not a huge fan of adding the carbs either. Especially if you just started a new culture. Green mold galore lol. My go to foods are yogurt (or sour cream if I don’t have any yogurt) with Nutritional yeast (just baked dry yeast until golden). Or if I’m lazy I’ll just throw in some kitten chow with yeast or just yeast on its own.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need another source in Canada. Canadianaquafarm is where I got mine. Had them since 2017 and they’re still going strong.
Thank you so much for this! The source I was going to use sold out and won't have any until next month. I'm check this place out now. I've been attempting to get a culture going for a couple months. Time to do it! :)

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worms will not touch any kind of yogurt I can buy here.
Very weird. everyone I’ve heard that’s used it has had great results. I found the yogurt worked so well that I had to reduce my usage of it by a ton. Otherwise I found they would grow too fast for my use and inevitably crash much much sooner.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for this! The source I was going to use sold out and won't have any until next month. I'm check this place out now. I've been attempting to get a culture going for a couple months. Time to do it! :)
Don’t be surprised by how much you receive (like a 2inch square baggie of dirt and worms) and the price lol. $15 but the only online place i’d been able to find that had them. Plus it’s basically a lifetime supply once you have them.

edit: actually that $15 is with shipping included so thats very reasonable to me.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be surprised by how much you receive (like a 2inch square baggie of dirt and worms) and the price lol. $15 but the only online place i’d been able to find that had them. Plus it’s basically a lifetime supply once you have them.

edit: actually that $15 is with shipping included so thats very reasonable to me.
Shipping included and all for $15? Here in Canada that is a bargain!! I might have to grab two. LOL How long did it take for your culture to take off so you could start using them?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Canadians, do yourselves a favour and get the Grindal worm starter package as well. Although those worms are smaller, they also tolerate a much greater temperature range; I've been cultivating mine, for the past year-and-a-half, in the cabinet of my RSM250. I didn't have air conditioning until the middle of last summer, and the temperature in my house routinely exceeded 30C (and more, probably, where the worms were kept).

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Canadians, do yourselves a favour and get the Grindal worm starter package as well. Although those worms are smaller, they also tolerate a much greater temperature range; I've been cultivating mine, for the past year-and-a-half, in the cabinet of my RSM250. I didn't have air conditioning until the middle of last summer, and the temperature in my house routinely exceeded 30C (and more, probably, where the worms were kept).
Thanks for this! I tried grindal worms once but couldn't get the culture to take off. Then it got contaminated with mites so I tossed it. I didn't think of trying to rinse them out in water like was mentioned here. What do you feed yours?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.2%
Back