Why I trust my Neptune Trident

SDJustin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I had a tank 'almost crash' about 6 months ago.
  1. I was preparing for a new tank, moving around stuff on my EB832s, rewiring sensors, shuffling my gear, etc. My C02 feed for my calcium reactor went offline... I noticed but was busy with other stuff and thought it could wait a few days. A few days turned into a week, and my normal Alk went from high eights (8.7 was my target) to low sevens (7.35). I then adjusted back up. While the absolute values aren't way off, the change of 1.35 over ??? hours made some of my delicate 3-4" colonies unhappy.
  2. LESSON LEARNED: In a tank with rapidly growing healthy colonies of mostly SPS, Alk isn't something you can let slide for a week! (duh!)
  3. It was the depths of summer, and it was hot. I moved the chiller off the original tank (prepping for the new tank) and ran A/C. My tank temps went to ~83 late afternoon. Hot, but not crazy hot...but I had been running a VERY steady 77.5 - 78F for 18+ months. In the end I realized I had a heater misconfiguration... one of my lower wattage BRS titanium heaters got stuck on due to a misconfiguration on my part. If it was higher wattage it would have raised the temp really high really fast, I would have noticed, and fixed. because I run multiple low wattage, it was just fighting the A/C (and my electric bill was higher than normal!) but was pushing my temps up into the low 80's. DUMB!
  4. Between these two instabilities I lost some really nice colonies. :(
  5. During that instability, I tested my Alk with my Hanna test kit...something I don't routinely do because I was running a trident which checks Alk every 6 hours. When I tested the Alk it was about 0.7 'high' on my Trident. I calibrated and it came back to match (within 0.2) my Hannah test kit. I realized..... oh...THAT'S why they include a calibration bottle with every reagent kit! I sort of blamed my tank crash on the Trident when really it was the C02 mishap + the high temps. In any case I started testing with my Hannah to double check (and even used some old Red Sea test kits to verify).
  6. In the old/main tank, after all the coral abuse, I was struggling with burnt/algae tips on some really (previously) nice colonies. My corals weren't happy!
  7. Long story short, I felt/realized that, if I don't calibrate my Trident, it's dangerous to rely on those measurements alone (over months).
  8. So.. my new tank is in, and I've moved my surviving colonies over after a 5 week cycle and (knock on wood) so far they are recovering. I had purchased a second trident (originally I was going to keep 1 trident on the original tank and 1 trident on the new tank). Because my original tank wasn't happy, I moved all the corals out (except a giant toadstool leather (Sarcophyton) which is happier than ever through all the calamity... and expanded even more now that it's the only thing in a 160G display.
  9. I've been running two Tritons on my new build, and below you can see them measure against each other. While I will still ABSOLUTELY calibrate with every new reagent bottle, this has reinforced my trust in the Trident. Good work Neptune Systems. Alk doesn't deviate by more than 0.05 or so.
why_I_trust_my_trident.png

dual_tridents.jpg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had also a good experience with the Trident but there are times when the readings seem to drift even before the two month kit is used up. I still need the Hanna from time to time to confirm the Trident readings. I cannot honestly say I have complete trust in it but it is close enough that I can relax and not have to worry about manually testing Alk regularly anymore

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back