Why wont my tank cycle

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that snail sure survives terrible conditions that produce it feed, handles its waste, in clear water, among coralline and algae.... just like a reef tank would indeed look and function

Now that's something you can find in articles, books, prior studies... that broken cycle reefs crash, they don't just live normally

notice again cycle fear replaces any training to read Jay's disease forum on fish disease

All supporting clues to a running reef, the snail and the others, explained but never actually worked before in links we can read or articles, this matters here. Broken cycles always have the luxury of being the very first one on record

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should let the OP respond before jumping the gun but are you saying treating water with chlorine and chloramine doesn’t harm bacteria? and there’s no evidence that it does? Lol
Which is why I just said maybe that could be the culprit, since that's the entire purpose of those being in our water.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that snail sure survives terrible conditions that produce it feed, handles its waste, in clear water, among coralline and algae.... just like a reef tank would indeed look and function

Now that's something you can find in articles, books, prior studies... that broken cycle reefs crash, they don't just live normally

False cycle stall study group: notice again cycle fear replaces any training to read Jay's disease forum on fish disease

All supporting clues to a running reef, the snail and the others, explained but never actually worked before in links we can read.
I agree with you, but this is definitely not a "reef" this is a saltwater tank that has some rock with algae growing on it, a small amount of coralline algae, and one trooper of a snail. Everything else added related to a "reef" has died.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Description of symptoms here changed to factor updated cycling science:

The kit you're reading on isn't digital, we haven't seen an actual reading as well everyone is doubting water bacteria solely off a reading approximation, and the kit is subject to problems in cycle analysis you can see for years on threads

The tank won't keep fish (new fish live and eat fine for weeks or months then disease from skipping preps kills them)

The tank won't keep coral (corals added do fine initially then die off slowly)

Your challenges are those of reefing, not cycling.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Description of symptoms here changed to factor updated cycling science:

The kit you're reading on isn't digital, we haven't seen an actual reading as well everyone is doubting water bacteria solely off a reading approximation, and the kit is subject to problems in cycle analysis you can see for years on threads

The tank won't keep fish (new fish live and eat fine for weeks or months then disease from skipping preps kills them)

The tank won't keep coral (corals added do fine initially then die off slowly)
I agree, but are you saying if a kit isnt digital then it isnt true?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

staying within the realm of linkable items

that’s a very recent measure on digital gear showing a running reef tank oxidizing a huge boost of ammonia in one day

ergo

any load ammonia being added here, by water so unsafe its not fit for human consumption :) is being handled just fine.

next step if we hear back from op
post pic of the actual reading in clear room light

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reef tank forums struggle with cycling. In the real world: nobody ever does, they don't even bother testing for cycles - ever.

There is no pet store owner in history who faltered this much on cycling, it's strictly for web forums, the broken cycle+ buy something in response, response.
Sorry B but this is just completely incorrect.

Discussions about cycling have been had since before Internet forums existed. "Shrimp and wait" sounds familiar?

I frequent Many LFS to me and Often, hear the staff educating new reefers and fw enthusiast alike about the importance of cycling a tank properly and confirming with Testing, before adding livestock.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there are many ways to cycle a tank but I took the really easy route.
2 bottles of Fritzyme 9 and I dropped 2 3 inch tangs. I never had an amonia reading and almost two years later those tangs are fat and happy.
Me too.
I don't generally post about cycling as the "Fish in" technique gets a bad rap. However, I cycled my RS 425 XL with ATM Colony and a pair of Clowns and 7 months on they' appear as happy as ever, laying eggs every two weeks and growing well. I've only had a tiny ammonia spike once after adding 7 Green Chromis and the bacteria just needed to catch up..
Cue the flaming....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve tank my reef about a year now im always have ammonia problems my tank keeps back cycling i dont know why can anyone explain…..the tanks been running for 2 months now with no fish ammonia still high….I've lost so much $☹️ help plzzzz

image.jpg
Assure youre not getting false readings. Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits and see what they come up with and to compare with yours. Consider also getting a mail-in ICP test to determine overall tank condition

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back