Will The Live Rock Survive?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm in a slight bind here and I wanted to request your opinion on here before I contact the shipper.

I placed an order from GulfLiveRock for their premo deco rock. We scheduled delivery for today. However, I just got off the phone with Southwest Cargo who informed me that the shipment will be in at 5:35 pm and they close at 5:30 pm. They are not willing to wait 5 minutes so I can pickup the shipment. I understand why as flights are constantly delayed. They say that the soonest I can pick up the shipment would be at 5 am the next day. The airport is in Boise where night temperatures are currently falling to around 25-30 degrees. Am I going to get 100% dead rock if I accept the cargo tomorrow?

I'm certain that the shipper is going to say the rock will be fine. He has an interest in saying so. But I know you all here are more honest and don't have an interest in him selling me the rock. So will the rock be ok or am I better off having him hang onto the shipment until I can get better weather out here?

I don't mind waiting. I'm in no rush. And the SW customer service rep informed me that there is only one flight that comes in from Tampa and it always arrives at 5:30 pm. So in reality, I cannot receive a shipment same day.

In advance, I appreciate your input. Thanks.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got home from work, opened my bag (single) it is not nearly a smelly as I was expecting. Going to bucket cycle it as my tank is already up and running. 5 approx 2 lb rocks. Shame it took so long cause the life was awesome, I’m sure lots of good stuff will survive though. Prolly no critters though. FedEx is the reason mine was held up they let it sit 3 days before it moved so not gulfs fault.
I have a cheap filter running on it and a heater, should that be enough or should I put a light on it, seems kinda pointless.
Very minimal light is sufficient for cycle and die off. I literally use 24 watt daylight cfl from Walmart in a desk lamp clamp on fixture over the bins.
Don't want to cook the rock with light until its cycled.

Very important to look at rock and make sure you don't crush any critters or cram any clams or oysters etc. What you think may be dead probably isn't. And high probability most of the critters will live.
Just looks for soft spots when placing the rock.
The die off will be easy to notice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here is an update for you all from a couple of days ago. Haven’t had a break to upload before. Anyhow, ammonia is present and nitrites are sky high. These numbers are probably indicative of the amount of death the rock had. The rock is only sitting in 30 gallons of water so it’s definitely not filtering very well.
33923FAE-0827-42B0-87E8-F713F53A1B3A.jpeg
96B8C979-AE1A-4F71-8D6C-9F9B67C8D191.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Keep it circulating and do frequent water changes. It’ll cure out wonderfully for ya!
Did a 20 gallon water change last night and as of this morning, the nitrites are at .5 and ammonia is at 0. Kinda disappointed that nitrites are so high. Started dosing microbacter 7 today to see if that helps the curing process. Haven’t bothered checking nitrates. Will continue 20 gallon water changes daily until things are in check.

Upvote 0

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look my rock bought between 2006-2009 came from fiji wrapped in wet newspaper, no overnight shipping and stunk to high heaven from die off. If rock in those days waa still live,..and it was plenty live even if it took a few months for things to show up...I wouldn't be worried at all. In fact I have always avoided florida rock because it was too live (full of healthy undesirables). They probably did you a favor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look my rock bought between 2006-2009 came from fiji wrapped in wet newspaper, no overnight shipping and stunk to high heaven from die off. If rock in those days waa still live,..and it was plenty live even if it took a few months for things to show up...I wouldn't be worried at all. In fact I have always avoided florida rock because it was too live (full of healthy undesirables). They probably did you a favor.
Haha that’s awesome. Thanks for the comment.

Upvote 0

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that sucks, I'd be ticked. I ordered live rock from KP aquatics a couple weeks ago. I live in the Bay Area and he shipped from Ft Lauderdale Sunday evening so it arrived Monday at noon with plenty of time to pickup.

Live rock had zero ammonia smell and I didn't find a single dead hitchhiker. Rock was double or triple bagged, I can't remember.

You are not at fault for ordering in Winter, as evidenced by my experience and I'd be upset that the vendor is liking all the posts in this thread saying it was.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang that sucks, I'd be ticked. I ordered live rock from KP aquatics a couple weeks ago. I live in the Bay Area and he shipped from Ft Lauderdale Sunday evening so it arrived Monday at noon with plenty of time to pickup.

Live rock had zero ammonia smell and I didn't find a single dead hitchhiker. Rock was double or triple bagged, I can't remember.

You are not at fault for ordering in Winter, as evidenced by my experience and I'd be upset that the vendor is liking all the posts in this thread saying it was.
I just realized he was reading and liking comments in this thread. Buh buh buh I haven’t gotten a single like from him. Frowny face.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I bet he won’t like your post either.

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just realized he was reading and liking comments in this thread. Buh buh buh I haven’t gotten a single like from him. Frowny face.
Wow.

Looks like KP will get my business for sure. Going through and seeing what they have liked and haven't is very eye opening. Shows character extremely well and I don't give business or recommend business to shady people. He is literally saying this whole thing is your fault. Better believe my CC company would be getting a call at this point. Company didn't deliver what was purchased and you have this thread to show they are blaiming you for their lack of good business practices.

(Unless I am reading into this wrong.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow.

Looks like KP will get my business for sure. Going through and seeing what they have liked and haven't is very eye opening. Shows character extremely well and I don't give business or recommend business to shady people. He is literally saying this whole thing is your fault. Better believe my CC company would be getting a call at this point. Company didn't deliver what was purchased and you have this thread to show they are blaiming you for their lack of good business practices.

(Unless I am reading into this wrong.)
I didn't mean for his to happen at all and for that I do apologize to GulfLiveRock if they read this post.
@rtparty I don't think you are reading it incorrectly. Different people will have different views on the very same set of facts. Believe me, I write appellate briefs for a living and in my briefs I have to tell the Board why I believe the judge misinterpreted the law. We disagree on things when they are written in plain ole English. this is so much more true when we try to interpret motive behind "likes" on a forum.

Anyhow, I read into it the same way as you did. Though our interpretations are only inferences we can make, we have a right to that inference. I hadn't realized until earlier today that he was liking the comments throwing shade/blame on me. Admittedly, there is one post in particular which rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure it is easy to find based on my response to said person. That post has 1 like and its a laughing emoji put there by the vendor. Sure it's not big deal. Should my interpretation of that incident influence your decision? No! By no means. However, would I be willing to purchase from someone with that inferred character? Nope! And from what I gather, neither would you.

In the end, we are all adults in it for the same reason: a love of the hobby. We cannot judge others for coming to logical conclusions/decisions based on online interactions. You and I are of similar mindset and will use this experience to help form a decision regarding our future purchases. Others will view this thread and think, "That vendor is totally the kind of vendor I want to deal with." It is what it is.

I hate to be the cause of someone not doing business with this particular vendor but I am glad that my post was minimally helpful to you. Happy reefing my friend.

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't mean for his to happen at all and for that I do apologize to GulfLiveRock if they read this post.
@rtparty I don't think you are reading it incorrectly. Different people will have different views on the very same set of facts. Believe me, I write appellate briefs for a living and in my briefs I have to tell the Board why I believe the judge misinterpreted the law. We disagree on things when they are written in plain ole English. this is so much more true when we try to interpret motive behind "likes" on a forum.

Anyhow, I read into it the same way as you did. Though our interpretations are only inferences we can make, we have a right to that inference. I hadn't realized until earlier today that he was liking the comments throwing shade/blame on me. Admittedly, there is one post in particular which rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure it is easy to find based on my response to said person. That post has 1 like and its a laughing emoji put there by the vendor. Sure it's not big deal. Should my interpretation of that incident influence your decision? No! By no means. However, would I be willing to purchase from someone with that inferred character? Nope! And from what I gather, neither would you.

In the end, we are all adults in it for the same reason: a love of the hobby. We cannot judge others for coming to logical conclusions/decisions based on online interactions. You and I are of similar mindset and will use this experience to help form a decision regarding our future purchases. Others will view this thread and think, "That vendor is totally the kind of vendor I want to deal with." It is what it is.

I hate to be the cause of someone not doing business with this particular vendor but I am glad that my post was minimally helpful to you. Happy reefing my friend.
I appreciate the response. Don't feel bad for your experience with a vendor influencing others. That is exactly why a forum exists. We are all here to learn and enjoy this hobby. That includes learning which vendors are trustworthy and worth our money. This is why I support BRS, ESV, Tunze, Reef Brite, and many others.

Been at this for 15 years now. I have been lucky to use a lot of different brands and get to interact with a lot brands (owners, employees, reps) on a much more personal level than just buy and use. There are a few companies I wouldn't support if they were the only company making a product I needed. I would find something else. These decisions are based upon personal interactions and by those online sharing what has happened. You start to see patterns after 15 years and thousands of posts on these forums.

I tend to look at your experience and give it more weight because the "accused" has been present and could have just as easily made a quick post instead of liking the posts putting the blame on you. I am still confused how this was your fault in any way? Because you ordered in winter? Here is a novel idea. Don't ship to states that are cold in winter if you aren't willing to go above and beyond. Use extra bags. Use extra heat packs. Give more padding. If it really costs that much more to do (it doesn't. I know these costs because of my business I own) let the customer know and let them know there will be a surcharge. Not that difficult and 99% of people will understand the situation.

I also understand the company can't be responsible how Southwest handles the package so that sucks on their end. But there are avenues here to go back after them. There is also the part of not single bagging sharp rocks in water. That is 100% on them. Not you. Not Southwest. Them.

So Dan had a choice here. Learn from this mistake and make things right to the best of his ability. Leave a quick note in here saying sorry and that he is more than happy to help however he can. That is all it takes and he gains customers from it. Instead, he will lose customers. Thousands will read this thread over the years.

In the end, I appreciate this thread because it helps me be a better reefer for myself and for those I help along the way.

Upvote 0

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this information is useful for consumers. I bought from the same vendor, my problem was not with him at all, but customer service speaks volumes. This vendor had not done wrong by me in any case, but I did reach out to him. He “should” be the expert at his product, his lack of care to even reply is why this information need to be out there. This is even more apparent when he has time to “like” a comment on a forum but will not take the time to reply to a simple email.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this information is useful for consumers. I bought from the same vendor, my problem was not with him at all, but customer service speaks volumes. This vendor had not done wrong by me in any case, but I did reach out to him. He “should” be the expert at his product, his lack of care to even reply is why this information need to be out there. This is even more apparent when he has time to “like” a comment on a forum but will not take the time to reply to a simple email.
Hey remember its a crazy world out there right now, covid is effecting everyone differently, trying to run a business on top of a household is hard for most on a normal day "this is during covid for future readers hopefully down the road not to much longer things will be normal again!"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_3616.jpeg
IMG_3617.jpeg

Well it's been 10 days since I received my rock. Here is an update.
I performed a 30 gallon water change last night. As of this morning, there is no more ammonia in the water. Nitrites still remain through the roof. This is the first time I test nitrates. Those are super high as well. Will continue performing water changes and testing until nitrites show 0 and nitrates come down just a bit.
There are tube worms, feather dusters, and aptasia that are starting to pop up left and right. I'll try to take care of the aptasia. There is a large gorgonian colony that came attached to one of the rocks. It puffed up nicely the very next day. However, it is receding and showing its skeleton. It is very odd though because there is a 4" piece right next to it which looks perfectly healthy. They are on the same rock. So I can't explain why 1 is dying and the other looks fine.
Not sure how much longer the curing process will take but I'll be sure to keep updating you all.

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's is a final update. 14 days later the rock registered 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. The nitrates were super sky high for several days. I performed multiple water changes during the curing process.
I am not sure what kind of life is still on these rocks but at least the mini cycle is done. They'll stay in their curing bin for about another month or so while I move the aquarium into the home and create an aquascape outside of the tank.
Felt like this post was a bit dramatic but alas, it is finished.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's is a final update. 14 days later the rock registered 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. The nitrates were super sky high for several days. I performed multiple water changes during the curing process.
I am not sure what kind of life is still on these rocks but at least the mini cycle is done. They'll stay in their curing bin for about another month or so while I move the aquarium into the home and create an aquascape outside of the tank.
Felt like this post was a bit dramatic but alas, it is finished.
How are you creating aquascape outside of tank? Are you using any dry rock or is everything going to be the gulf rock only? Following along now!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you creating aquascape outside of tank? Are you using any dry rock or is everything going to be the gulf rock only? Following along now!
I am using dry rock and cement to create my main aquascape. this will be created outside of the tank. Once that aquascape is in the DT and DT is full of water, I will add the gulf live rock to seed the dry stuff.

Upvote 0

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar problem. Ordered live rock on Sunday. They shipped it Wednesday and it was supposed to be here Saturday. Late, of course. Today FedEx loaded it on vehicle (no doubt sitting outside, in Chicago) for delivery on Tuesda!

I doubt anything will remain live on that rock. What should I do?

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back