Will this sump work

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F30FC86-66BB-4D35-824C-FF0E8FF162F2.jpeg
Hi, I’m new to the whole forum thing but I can’t seem to find an answer that helps my situation.

So I had a biocube like 10-15 years ago and loved it so I bought a used one but it has so many upgrades I don’t understand so I researched them intensely.

My current issue is the sump it has 3 chambers each shallower than the previous. The biggest one has a light I assume is for a refugium but how will the shrimp and stuff not waterfall into the next chamber. Also there is no 3 layer part to filter out bubbles, is that ok? I can make adjustments “add panels or even make a new one if necessary” I’m just not sure if this is fine or not. Also which chambers do I put the skimmer, heater, ultraviolet thing “picture included not familiar with what it does” ?
91D4EC16-FB57-4D8A-97FF-559A299D9B3B.jpeg
This is the skimmer
CB6C3B9F-F302-4CD1-9A3C-0FBC281B5C1F.png

If you want more pictures of anything please ask

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab your tape measure and camera and get some shots of the sump direct side-on, from all four sides, with the tape measure in the shot, measuring height and width of ALL FOUR sides. This will help immensely in providing answers. Additionally, is the sump glass or acrylic? How much room is in the stand or measure the interior dimensions of the stand, HxWxD? What size aquarium? ps. If that outlet is the one for the Tank, install a GFCI protected outlet. Ready? Go.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
929202B3-988A-41CD-A713-74FAC556B82B.jpeg
481E3B7E-9DA9-4484-A77C-09474EAEB2BC.jpeg
0F38DE7A-12DA-44C2-85F3-96750420F46D.jpeg
C9DFA151-02D6-4B6B-BB10-1A34FF97EBC4.jpeg
576B0C2A-CEB9-4DC2-A96C-78AED58136C9.jpeg
AFF62F35-4807-4A20-9ED5-6275432B0454.jpeg
3FC92680-544E-48DB-9D59-7DFEE58FD608.jpeg
Cabinet space (17.25” wide) (26,5” heigh) (18.2” deep)
36166337-3BEE-473E-9DD0-9E6AC23A0F7F.jpeg

Sump is 16” x 16” and height is 16.25 heighest glass sectional is 14.5 next 12.35 smallest is 11.5

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14B6E977-AE30-4315-9309-C93378B3DA5B.jpeg
D9503A97-232E-4516-BEB2-F4AA5BBB5A62.jpeg
Oh and big part is 9.5” and 2 small ones are 6.5” that’s one direction the divider is 8.5” and 7.5”

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one of those chambers open at the bottom? If so which one, Med or small? Additionally, are those baffles/partitions glass or acrylic? AND, one last thing, which of the two smaller ones are taller? The smallest or the bigger of the two?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one of those chambers open at the bottom? If so which one, Med or small? Additionally, are those baffles/partitions glass or acrylic? AND, one last thing, which of the two smaller ones are taller? The smallest or the bigger of the two?
All chambers go to the same flat bottom. the one on the lower left of that picture has the highest wall. It is all glass. I need to clean it but just rubbing with water and sponge it stays cloudy like that I’m afraid to use cleaning supplies I see so many arguments about what’s bad or not.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab your tape measure and camera and get some shots of the sump direct side-on, from all four sides, with the tape measure in the shot, measuring height and width of ALL FOUR sides. This will help immensely in providing answers. Additionally, is the sump glass or acrylic? How much room is in the stand or measure the interior dimensions of the stand, HxWxD? What size aquarium? ps. If that outlet is the one for the Tank, install a GFCI protected outlet. Ready? Go.
Lol that’s a room I’m remodeling of course that isn’t the plug lol I was just testing the lights it’s for a 29g biocube

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer on all baffles hitting the bottom. So, as it stands, that sump is poorly designed. The linear flow is not linear. Without modifications, the sump will have to be operating as follows.
Drain from your DT into the largest of the two smaller chambers. Would have been nice if the tallest was also the smallest of the two. This will drain water and overflow into the largest of the sections of the sump. Here is where you will want to have your protein skimmer st the sump level should remain constant in this section. I really would re-design the chambers. If you decide to tackle that check back for help. Unfortunately, you will have to raise the skimmer by making a stand for it as the suggested water level for that skimmer is 6-7 inches. That means a stand, fabricated from light diffuser egg crate, will have to be about 5 to 6 inches high since the lowest and smallest baffle height is 11.5 inches. The last, smallest and with the lowest baffle is the chamber where you will place your return pump. The largest section will have to be for a refugium if you want to install one. The light might not fit with the skimmer in there too. I would also recommend that you place an additional baffle in the largest section with the baffle height just higher than any substrate you may decide to keep in the refugium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer on all baffles hitting the bottom. So, as it stands, that sump is poorly designed. The linear flow is not linear. Without modifications, the sump will have to be operating as follows.
Drain from your DT into the largest of the two smaller chambers. Would have been nice if the tallest was also the smallest of the two. This will drain water and overflow into the largest of the sections of the sump. Here is where you will want to have your protein skimmer st the sump level should remain constant in this section. I really would re-design the chambers. If you decide to tackle that check back for help. Unfortunately, you will have to raise the skimmer by making a stand for it as the suggested water level for that skimmer is 6-7 inches. That means a stand, fabricated from light diffuser egg crate, will have to be about 5 to 6 inches high since the lowest and smallest baffle height is 11.5 inches. The last, smallest and with the lowest baffle is the chamber where you will place your return pump. The largest section will have to be for a refugium if you want to install one. The light might not fit with the skimmer in there too. I would also recommend that you place an additional baffle in the largest section with the baffle height just higher than any substrate you may decide to keep in the refugium.
First of all thank you for taking the time.. so I can easily take out all the interior and be left with the cube”he didn’t caulk well” it’s leak proof but extra hanging all over to pry off. If I do that do you have any suggestions on how to change it”I’m very handy I remodel houses whatever you can think of its likely something I can do on a down day” I just don’t know what to do I’ve done some research on sumps but most of them are for huge tanks which doesn’t help with my small space problem.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can tell me how many chambers what goes in which. How high each wall should be I can sketch something out. Also you said skimmer needs to be higher so do I just glass in so it’s not as deep if so can bottom space be used for volume on another part or just lose the space and have a void

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some fodder to start off with. What we are looking for is linear flow. In other words, water flows from one section to the next to the next etc. Make the sections sized to what you need. You can build a skimmer section that just fits the skimmer, rest it on a raised egg crate shelf with siliconed blocks on the side walls to rest the egg crate on making it removable for cleaning or installing bio media like ceramic media or rubble underneath. Have the flow go out the bottom of the skimmer section if using bio media. The key is to have the skimmer section such that the level will always be constant. After that, the world is your oyster. Let me know if the videos are clarifying for you or not. Try and watch them all.

Start video at 3:50

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some fodder to start off with. What we are looking for is linear flow. In other words, water flows from one section to the next to the next etc. Make the sections sized to what you need. You can build a skimmer section that just fits the skimmer, rest it on a raised egg crate shelf with siliconed blocks on the side walls to rest the egg crate on making it removable for cleaning or installing bio media like ceramic media or rubble underneath. Have the flow go out the bottom of the skimmer section if using bio media. The key is to have the skimmer section such that the level will always be constant. After that, the world is your oyster. Let me know if the videos are clarifying for you or not. Try and watch them all.

Start video at 3:50

What your saying is a bit confusing atm I’ll watch the videos as soon as I can I work 12 hour days for the next 4 days so might not get a chance once I do you will see the msg so we can continue right?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your saying is a bit confusing atm I’ll watch the videos as soon as I can I work 12 hour days for the next 4 days so might not get a chance once I do you will see the msg so we can continue right?
Yes, absolutely. Watch one or two of the shortest ones at first, maybe during a lunch break. It will help you wrap your mind around the concept of the flow of water within the sump and how/why it is needed. Just bear with me if there are delays in responses as I have my own business so, the boss can be a jerk sometimes and there is a time difference. I am GMT +10.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, absolutely. Watch one or two of the shortest ones at first, maybe during a lunch break. It will help you wrap your mind around the concept of the flow of water within the sump and how/why it is needed. Just bear with me if there are delays in responses as I have my own business so, the boss can be a jerk sometimes and there is a time difference. I am GMT +10.

Is it weird I like that eshopps?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave in vinegar solution overnight it will help big time with cleaning. Unless the cloudiness is scratches.

If it were me I would put skimmer in first tallest section.
Refugium in second.
Return pump in last section.

Put a pane of glass on inside of last section/return pump area, that is an inch away from the one that’s there now, so you can put a 1” sponge between the 2 panes, and have that new pane a half inch from bottom for bubble trap. Bubbles go up, water to return goes out the bottom

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A40DA51F-FBAE-42E4-A572-1601A38D8C47.jpeg
A9896A71-B43E-49D0-8FCE-7809D8E92CA0.jpeg
Sorry really rough sketch. trying to figure out if water will flow under and up to skimmer like this. If so can anything go where the question mark is. This is top view and the view on the oposite side of refugium.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A40DA51F-FBAE-42E4-A572-1601A38D8C47.jpeg
A9896A71-B43E-49D0-8FCE-7809D8E92CA0.jpeg
Sorry really rough sketch. trying to figure out if water will flow under and up to skimmer like this. If so can anything go where the question mark is. This is top view and the view on the oposite side of refugium.
Sure. You can put an egg crate floor for the skimmer to sit on supported by blocks glued to the wall at the desired height. Don't glue the egg crate but just place in there sitting on glued blocks. You could put whatever you want in there. Bag of carbon, bio media/blocks/rubble, mechanical filter media etc. When I say egg crate, do you know what I mean? This stuff... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskol...-Crate-Light-Ceiling-Panel-1199233A/202025149

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave room in your return section to place ATO float switches. This is the section that should be designed to lower in level as the water evaporates. This is the reason that you will place the sensors there. The ATO fill can go in the refugium section. I suggest ATO's whenever possible. I would strongly recommend the Tunze...
Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off - Tunze - Bulk Reef Supply

Crystal Reef Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've gotten some great advice here. Before you do anything, other than cleaning it in vinegar, make sure you look at a bunch of cube sumps online, I think @P-Dub linked you some decent ones to watch. Cubes are a little trickier but you could take you what you have a make something pretty decent out of it.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95D3D364-183C-4818-AADE-65049C87E27F.jpeg
Leave room in your return section to place ATO float switches. This is the section that should be designed to lower in level as the water evaporates. This is the reason that you will place the sensors there. The ATO fill can go in the refugium section. I suggest ATO's whenever possible. I would strongly recommend the Tunze...
Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off - Tunze - Bulk Reef Supply
Crap I totally forgot about the ato the tank came with this not sure how it works yet though

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back