Worm, tree, root, thing?

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this show up after lights out tonight. Could watch it "grow" i assumed to be algea or somthing odd. All happed within a hour or so
HOWEVER it seems to be a "colony" or singular very odd worm of somkind. If i shine a light i can watch them retract and pull away from eatchother. Its like strands of worms together forming the "tree/root" shape
Sorry in advance for the bad pictures.
20230413_212956.jpg 20230413_213631.jpg
Also see how it left like residue, thats where a 2ed smaller "tree" was minutes ago.

20230413_213636.jpg 20230413_214019.jpg 20230413_214051.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Noticed this show up after lights out tonight. Could watch it "grow" i assumed to be algea or somthing odd. All happed within a hour or so
HOWEVER it seems to be a "colony" or singular very odd worm of somkind. If i shine a light i can watch them retract and pull away from eatchother. Its like strands of worms together forming the "tree/root" shape

20230413_212956.jpg 20230413_213631.jpg
Also see how it left like residue, thats where a 2ed smaller "tree" was minutes ago.
This is dinoflagellates and often occurs when nutrients are low and used up by their cells. Siphon up and see if it returns within 12-24 hours.
Light is part of energy source for this.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly an organism (or collection of organisms) tentatively ID as Labyrinthula?
If you click my username in the quote below, it'll take you to the thread it's posted in for another example:
Labyrinthula (though I haven’t researched this enough yet to verify if it actually is Labyrinthula or just worms that look like Labyrinthula). The consensus seems to be that it’s harmless unless you’re trying to keep seagrasses.

Here are some threads dealing with them (some more similar to yours than others):

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is dinoflagellates and often occurs when nutrients are low and used up by their cells. Siphon up and see if it returns within 12-24 hours.
Light is part of energy source for this.
Wow thanks for the quick reply, sucked out 99%. Dont know much other than hearing "horror" storys. I recently installed a macro algea reactor due to my phos steadly creeping up. Any effect?

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly an organism (or collection of organisms) tentatively ID as Labyrinthula?
Yes! Exactly like that frist video on the first link.
I was just about to say i wish i got a video. Its definitely moveing and a collection of more then one of whatever organism.

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was apart of the first thread, i guess it could make sense that I just added cheato to the algea reactor about a week ago at this point.
Hi I'm gonna revive this thread real quick. Although I don't have a definitive answer on what these are but here are my two cents. I have the same thing in a really really dirty ten gallon that I use to breed pods and macros (kinda like a trashy fuge). I have two "colonies" at the moment. At first I though they were the silicate spindles of a sponge until I realized that overnight they would catch and kill some copepods. I don't think they are worms since a gentle tap from a toothbruh bristle cuts them in two. However, I do thik that this could be a type of primitive bryozoan which are a type of encrusting animal (like a predatory sponge). If you look at the tip of each "branch" you will see some similarities to the structure of a bryozoan's "mouth" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryozoa#/media/File:Ectoproct_generalized_01.png) just imagine the tentacles as the cobweb. I hope this helps! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back