Wrasse for a 40 Breeder?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m stocking my 40B, I’ve been thinking of adding a wrasse of sorts. Ideally one that would offer some utilitarian function like pest-eating and is reef safe.
Just curious what kind of wrasses would do well in the tank, nothing that’s a squeeze. I’ve been told that a coris would be a good fit, though they seem a bit big to me. I know there’s 6 lines but I’m not sure I want to chance that aggression.
The tank has plenty of rockwork and about a 2 inch sandbed.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasses are the smallest reef safe wrasse I have personally seen and the yellow striped ones look pretty cool. In have a 65g tank so same foot print as your just taller and my lfs had recommended fairy wrasses to as a very peaceful wrasse addition. Still trying to decide on this myself so im following along.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Carpenters wrasse and is a great addition to my tank. Very personable, gets along with everyone and eats like a pig. Butttt theyre not typically a pest seeking wrasse though. It is very colorful and stays small, would be great in a 40 breeder

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give you 3 categories, not counting 6 line and close cousins:

1. Pink streak or any of the possum wrasses. They stay small, are really peaceful, and might eat some small pests.

2. The smallest fairy wrasses, like Lubbock, Yellow tail, pintail, or lunate (but not lunare wrasse for dang's sake!). Small, active, gorgeous, peaceful, but aren't utilitarian in any way.

3. The smallest Halichoeres wrasses that might be debatable for a 40 breeder. H. chrysus, biocellatus, melanurus, etc. Borderline too big or active for a 40 breeder or standard 55. Beautiful, pretty peaceful generally, hunts pests constantly with extreme prejudice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the Pinkstreak Wrasse, it’s a beautiful fish to own. They’re more likely to eat small pests compared to the Possums.
The smaller Halichoeres such as Iridis, Biocellatus, Timorensis ect… are also a good shout. This is due to them being excellent for colour, activity and staying a moderate size. They won’t always eat pests (Specifically Iridis) however most of the time they will.
I’d also recommend a Fairy Wrasse or small Leopard Wrasse. Purely for the ornamental side of wrasses. I love the spotted patterns seen on several species of Macropharyngodon. And the colours seen in Cirrhilabrus are endless!
I would not however, recommend a Flasher Wrasse. No matter how small it is, it will not have enough room to spread its fins in a 3’ tank, I’d say they need 4’ minimum, some of the larger ones needing 5’-6’ tanks.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen a pink streak for sale in the last 6-8 months!?

They are the clear winner IMHO, but good luck finding one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have but the UK seems to be much more open to the rarer fish in the US. if you understand what I mean (It’s hard for me to explain when I’m half asleep).

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I’ve only ever seen one (in person for sale) in my 1.5 years of reefing. Only like 1-3 possums too.
Picked a bad year to start as far as availability goes…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fairy, how would a C. rubeus (ruby longifn fairy wrasse) do?
They’d do just fine - I’d love a similar species but the naokoae I own is stopping me. The similar species is C. rubriventralis, sold over here as a Seafighter dwarf parrot (All of our fairy and flasher wrasses are sold under the name Dwarf parrot before anyone gets confused).

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’d do just fine - I’d love a similar species but the naokoae I own is stopping me. The similar species is C. rubriventralis, sold over here as a Seafighter dwarf parrot (All of our fairy and flasher wrasses are sold under the name Dwarf parrot before anyone gets confused).
Honestly, I'll keep either one, so long as it is healthy. I plan on keeping one of either of these 2 species (they're often sold interchangeably in my area) along with an Indonesian Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. I was going to do a Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis, but wifey likes the Indo lubbocki better, so the flavidorsalis can go in the 65 gallon.

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give you 3 categories, not counting 6 line and close cousins:

1. Pink streak or any of the possum wrasses. They stay small, are really peaceful, and might eat some small pests.

2. The smallest fairy wrasses, like Lubbock, Yellow tail, pintail, or lunate (but not lunare wrasse for dang's sake!). Small, active, gorgeous, peaceful, but aren't utilitarian in any way.

3. The smallest Halichoeres wrasses that might be debatable for a 40 breeder. H. chrysus, biocellatus, melanurus, etc. Borderline too big or active for a 40 breeder or standard 55. Beautiful, pretty peaceful generally, hunts pests constantly with extreme prejudice.
Agree with these points. I have kept H. Chrysus and H. Leucoxanthus in a 24 gallon before for a long time (a year-ish) before they were visibly stressed or started to get aggressive. I think either of those would do well in a 40-breeder as long as there is adequate rock work. If you have the patience and dollars... you could put several possum wrasses in a 40 breeder. That would be pretty sweet. Pink streaks are good - yellow-bandeds are my personal favorite.

Absolutely avoid 6-line in that size IMO.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard yellow coris are pretty good with pest control. Would one of those be too big in a 40B? More so, could I do that and a fairy wrasse, or would there be any competition?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back