Wrasse for a 40 Breeder?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard yellow coris are pretty good with pest control. Would one of those be too big in a 40B? More so, could I do that and a fairy wrasse, or would there be any competition?

I think both are fine just choose a small fairy.

Coris juvies always grew slow for me.

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard yellow coris are pretty good with pest control. Would one of those be too big in a 40B? More so, could I do that and a fairy wrasse, or would there be any competition?
H. Chrysus and H. Leucoxanthus are both commonly known as "Yellow Coris". I think they would be good fits, but after they are a few years old.. you may want to keep a close eye to make sure they arent too cramped. Also - All wrasses are jumpers... be sure to have a good lid/screen top.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to add any more options to confuse the decision, but my LFS has a Naoko Fairy wrasse that is absolutely stunning. Not cheap, not a pest eater, but understand them to be peaceful and good for your size tank. (Wrasses are so cool!)

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I’m stocking my 40B, I’ve been thinking of adding a wrasse of sorts. Ideally one that would offer some utilitarian function like pest-eating and is reef safe.
Just curious what kind of wrasses would do well in the tank, nothing that’s a squeeze. I’ve been told that a coris would be a good fit, though they seem a bit big to me. I know there’s 6 lines but I’m not sure I want to chance that aggression.
The tank has plenty of rockwork and about a 2 inch sandbed.
Did you get your wrasse yet?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to add any more options to confuse the decision, but my LFS has a Naoko Fairy wrasse that is absolutely stunning. Not cheap, not a pest eater, but understand them to be peaceful and good for your size tank. (Wrasses are so cool!)
I have to agree with this, here’s a photo of my current specimen. Definitely a beautiful species however they’re in the complex of Rubriventralis so they’re a slightly more aggressive species (No where near as aggressive as the Scottorum complex can be though).
09BA8B15-A36E-4300-9F84-24F97E8C3727.jpeg

and here’s a specimen with less washed out colours:
35A1A757-4158-4747-863C-96E9F6D0F7F5.jpeg

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres Iridis) and a Vermiculate (Divided) Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) coming from TSM this coming week. I love that they do all the QT medicating for 30 days. They will be going into my 40 breeder. I had wanted a Melanurus Wrasse but they did not have one when I ordered the Radiant Wrasse. I don't think I can put both into my 40 gallon since they are Halichoeres. I would order the Melanurus in a heart beat if it was possible.

The Naoko Fairy Wrasse is a beauty!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back