Yellow Clown Goby -- BEWARE!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal of course, but any perspectives on yellow vs citron with acro nipping? My citrons surely did, but it’s been said that yellows don’t exhibit this behavior as much. Any yellow owners out there that can share?

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal of course, but any perspectives on yellow vs citron with acro nipping? My citrons surely did, but it’s been said that yellows don’t exhibit this behavior as much. Any yellow owners out there that can share?
I have a yellow in a pico; tried a birds nest, it lasted one week….

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow in a pico; tried a birds nest, it lasted one week….

and you saw it nip at the birds nest for that week? While birds nest are one of the easiest SPS, sps generally do not do well in picos. Making sure we’re fair to the fish if the coral might have died from other reasons. :)

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a green clown goby, but i never see him messing with anything specific. he mostly hosts the hammer coral i have. mostly perched underneath it, within its branches, and will sometimes sit on top. when its feeding time, he will come to the from where i have a frag rack of zoas and mushrooms, and sit within them, but i have never seen him nip, or bother any coral, other than sitting within them.
Same experience with my green clown goby. I've never seen him bothering any of the acros (other than perching on them), and he prefers to hang out in/on the hammer coral. The biggest problem I've had with the goby was jumping the corner overflow and ending up in the sump...twice! I finally had to rig up some mesh around the overflow, and he hasn't jumped since.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you saw it nip at the birds nest for that week? While birds nest are one of the easiest SPS, sps generally do not do well in picos. Making sure we’re fair to the fish if the coral might have died from other reasons. :)
I’ve grown this birds nest in a pico before. I think the goby mostly rubbed against the coral to death. When he nipped at the coral it didn’t really look like he pulled off polyps. The colony was also small, about 3/4 the size of a baseball.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That’s 2 people citing green may be innocent. My citrons were all acro nippers.

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow clown was caught red handed literally ripping off a polyp off my bonsai acro. I am currently relocating him to his own little desktop nano.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, they sold you coral eating goby and called it yellow clown goby. Coral eating goby eats acros in order to build toxins that serve as defence..

i bet your lfs is having a big laugh!

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, they sold you coral eating goby and called it yellow clown goby. Coral eating goby eats acros in order to build toxins that serve as defence..

i bet your lfs is having a big laugh!
Pretty sure yellow clown goby's are coral eating goby's, sc name G. okinawae from what I understand.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back