Yellow Clown Goby -- BEWARE!

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers-

I recently purchased a yellow clown goby from my LFS. Initially, I loved this fish.. had a great personality, loved hosting my euphyllia, and got a long with all my other fish

The owner told me they were completely reef safe. WRONG.. After about a week, not only was it perching all over my acros and causing them to retract their polyps, but it would constantly nip at coral tissue and polyps.

I was finally able to set up a trap and net him. Took me forever -_-

It is not a rumor; Clown gobies DO eat SPS.

-BG

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that they more mouth them or eat the mucus. However yes, you are correct in the fact that they do not belong in an Acropora tank. I too made that mistake for about a day.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that they more mouth them or eat the mucus. However yes, you are correct in the fact that they do not belong in an Acropora tank. I too made that mistake for about a day.

I've heard that as well.. either way, both cases are bad for the corals health..

There were several times I caught the fish literally trying to pull chunks of tissue off the acro... That drew the line for me lol

-BG

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I'm reading this before I made my purchase! They claim reef safe on LA and that local tissue loss is expected when they lay eggs, but community reports much more significant impact.

Anyone have an alternative experience?

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could say he was a hitchhiker

Screenshot_20191230-153618_Samsung Internet.jpg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What!?!? I’ve been working hard trying to acquire trio of citrons that are now out of QT. Just went into observation before heading into a 180g mixed reef leaning to SPS.

All you folks on this thread seem to have similar destructive goby experience killing SPS.

Now I’m wondering if I should put them in. Was not expecting this nor read about it anywhere before this thread.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had yellow clown gobies that were model citizens and others that constantly nipped at SPS. I think the latter is more common. Either way, if you have sticks, they will perch in them and the sticks will not appreciate it. Too bad because they really do have adorable personalities. Can't say I ever saw one bother an LPS other than perching on a shroom but others have said they do.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know fish may have different personalities which explains why you had a model citizen. I wonder if there’s a pattern to yellows vs citrons vs greens in this SPS killing behavior.

I have 3 citrons in QT and I imagine it’ll be a PIA to try and remove 3 out of a 180g system. Decisions decisions. Am I a gambler!? Lol

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two and don't regret them. Yes they perch on corals, and I have seen them nip corals occasionally. But they don't do real damage and I keep him well fed. I love the color and the perching behavior so I don't mind that he irritates the corals slightly.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green clown goby that never bothers any corals, he lives in either my euphyllia colony or the large montipora spongodes colony so you rarely see him except when he darts out for food.

the yellow clown goby I had was an acro polyp eater - he would munch and perch in the acros all day long. When perched on lps corals they didn’t seem to mind too much, the blennies I’ve had tend to perch on my lps too with no I’ll effects, and they are much larger typically than ycg.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a green clown goby, but i never see him messing with anything specific. he mostly hosts the hammer coral i have. mostly perched underneath it, within its branches, and will sometimes sit on top. when its feeding time, he will come to the from where i have a frag rack of zoas and mushrooms, and sit within them, but i have never seen him nip, or bother any coral, other than sitting within them.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nother lil cutie is the tail spot blenny.. two days after intro.. all the encrusting new growth on sps looked like someone dragged a brillo pad on em.. luccky enough to catch em and get em out quick

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp. Has me second guessing doing acros in the tank with my watchmen.
Watchmen gobies don’t nip corals in my experience. These behave totally differently from clown gobies. I have watchmen gobies in all my tanks, no coral issues what so ever.
The biggest issue with watchmen gobies is when their shrimp buddy builds castles with your new frags and/or buries your plate corals haha.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still looking for mine months later.. (he disappeared into the sump). I spotted him once when I shone a flashlight into the bio media and saw a beady pair of eyes staring back at me.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stock list for my mixed reef will make clown gobies look good. Dwarf angels, puffer, butterfly...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back