OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a battlebox is such a great experience. The week of waiting is brutal. I must have spent 80 hours on the website fantasizing about what he will be sending me. Opened the box and my expectations were blown away.

I'm actually trying not to to eye his website TOO much. I really want to be surprised. No matter what he sends, I'm sure it's going to be a great surprise opening it up.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually trying not to to eye his website TOO much. I really want to be surprised. No matter what he sends, I'm sure it's going to be a great surprise opening it up.
I knew how much I spent and figured I could narrow it down based on that. NOPE.

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam is awesome. I've ordered from him in the past and I have no regrets.

That seems to be the common sentiment. I’m really looking forward to Thursday. I received the tracking number for confirmation today... ships tomorrow, I’m sure Adam has snipped some great pieces to shine in my tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adam always blows me away with the boxes he sends. He's definitely one of my go-to guys.

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHRISTMAS IS HERE!

6be54e052a1dadc751c8f009c31240ca.jpg

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we're all dipped and on the frag rack... boat loads of photos incoming. Some of the corals had polyps out in the baggies... Crazy!

1. PC Rainbow
  2. BC Monarch Milli
  3. Donkey Kong
  4. BC Bonfire
  5. BC T-Storm milli
  6. Skydopple
  7. BC Sunrize Milli
  8. Jarred's Red Devil Nasuta
  9. Soft Rainbow Milli
  10. BC Morning Glory
  11. Thermans watermelon
  12. Joe Knows Rainbow

edit: Updated names of coral based on @Battlecorals response.

jo4L5IP.jpg

H2IClng.jpg

v9V9She.jpg

yU7s6BA.jpg

YM8X8ry.jpg

E58C0xP.jpg

YzyBt5X.jpg

C8qxNby.jpg

4hXzQjY.jpg

XxE0ALw.jpg

U7aQvlr.jpg

w92k7dQ.jpg

ZQ7soUf.jpg

1ojWhs1.jpg

3lAETtr.jpg

Y2pAEBG.jpg

PtccJGR.jpg

0ww04Ax.jpg

gjndCe7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
98a44a3c4c7cfa0062e2be7744dd9ced.jpg

4f6a039d0682492a07bda0b4ca7bfd43.jpg

4e6f442e437701bf610944b935a0d646.jpg

It’s really hard to get color accurate shots with my iPhone under this blue T5 lighting combo. These seem to look fairly accurate to my eyes. Maybe a little over saturated.

Seeing some polyp extension, it’s very encouraging.

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR Chart!

UN9jsE7.jpg

ATI SunPower Dimmable 8x54 watt with:
  • 4x Blue+
  • 1x True Actinic
  • 1x Purple Plus
  • 1x Coral +
  • 1x AquaBlue Special
These levels are with all 8 lights blasting at 100%. The fixture hangs about 12" from the surface of the water.

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Friday of last week, my girlfriend and I went to the Georgia Aquarium for a fun day of activities to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. We got general admission tickets to see the aquarium, a behind-the-scenes tour and a Beluga whale experience. We spent ALL day at the aquarium and got to see some really neat stuff. The photo I posted a while back of all the Instant Ocean salt pallets we saw behind the scenes was neat, but the topping on cake was the Beluga whales. We learned a lot about the whales, the purpose of keeping them in captivity and the research they are performing on them. In the whole world, there are only 150,000 Beluga whales! Seeing them in person and being in the water with them was an experience I'll never forget. They were like big dogs, doing tricks for treats, showing off and acting like they wanted our attention! They would bark and whistle at us to get in the water with them! Here's some photos of the experience!

MdBS1tf.jpg

m4ZlqPv.jpg

1x0XhvX.jpg

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed another order with reefcleaners.org to top off my CUC after they got decimated during the great dino plague of 2017.
  • 74 Dwarf Ceriths
  • 20 Nerites
  • 27 Florida Ceriths
  • 19 Nassarius vibex
I'm going to get these guys in the tank and then I'm going to seriously consider silicate dosing for a while to see if I can starve out the remaining large cell amphidinium dinoflagellates once and for all.

OP
OP
zachxlutz

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everything is going seemingly great in my tank, I've decided to make a change. Why not. I came across some new DIY two part recipes from @Randy Holmes-Farley recently and decided to give them a try. The new recipe should give a larger pH boost over using traditional soda ash (sodium carbonate).

I mixed up the sodium hydroxide recipe at standard "Randy's Recipe #1" strength to mimic the BRS alk/cal two part I have previously been dosing and primed the lines with the new solution this morning. My dosing pumps come on hourly with a 30 minute offset between alkalinity and calcium. Refugium with a long reverse light cycle. Lots of macro growth. I keep a window cracked in the room with the tank, hoping to be able to close that. I also have an airline run from my skimmer to the same cracked window (although my skimmer is undersized and I'm not sure it's making much difference). Hoping to get rid of that, as well.

Here's my pH from the last week for reference (original BRS recipe/randy's #1):
02032018-02102018pH.jpeg

As you can see, it's not bad at all and well within the acceptable range with an average of 8.02. Since I'm dosing two part anyway, why not put it to work raising my pH a little bit more. The added benefit of dosing Magnesium via this new recipe is a bonus as well.

Alkalinity has been remaining stable at 8.0. Hoping to be able to stay stable at 8.0 with the same dosing quantities as the previous solution.

I'll update over the next few weeks with my experience with this dosing regimen.

Back