Zebra Eel Question!

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into picking up a Zebra Eel. From the research I have done I found that this eel will be more likely to hang around the tank in the daylight hours rather an hide all day long. Also read that although obviously possible, the Zebra Eel tends to not bother other tank mates? Anybody have issues of their Zebra taking out other fish?
Any advice comments concerns will be greatly appreciated.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had our Zebra Eel (ZE) for over a year now (about 3 ft in length by eye-balling it when roaming the rank. It's pretty chill and relaxed. There is a constant power struggle (aka territorial dispute) between the ZE and a convict tang that always has ended with the ZE backing down and going back into it's cave structure.

The aquascape affords us to be able to see it during the day and usually hangs it's head out to just chill.

Few personal notes from having it:

- When roaming it can unintentionally knock frags and small rock structures over, otherwise pretty casual when swimming about.
- Between the ongoing territory battle with the convict tang, I have witnessed it do a subtle lunge at the tang do to being irritated, but leads to nothing since not having sharp teeth.
- Calm demeanor
- Regrets? At first because of feeding leading to elevated nutrients, but have now got that under control. Plan for this if it has not be brought to mind.

If something else comes to mind, I will post again.

Pic from the side of the tank. Barely visible body.

20201231_180545.jpg

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one going on over 7 years. Never bothered any fish. More likely, some of my fish "flash" at the eel as they see it as a threat. As far as coming out, he stays hidden in the rocks mostly unless he is getting hungry. I feed mine once a week. I chop up frozen table shrimp, turn off all of my powerheads and dump it at a corner of the tank. Then I have to beat off my copperband butterfly, purple tang and a few other fish that want to get the shrimp before the eel finds it. I use a rigid air line to do the "beatings". Their eyesight not so good but I swear it can smell the shrimp as I chop it up before it goes into tank!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one going on over 7 years. Never bothered any fish. More likely, some of my fish "flash" at the eel as they see it as a threat. As far as coming out, he stays hidden in the rocks mostly unless he is getting hungry. I feed mine once a week. I chop up frozen table shrimp, turn off all of my powerheads and dump it at a corner of the tank. Then I have to beat off my copperband butterfly, purple tank and a few other fish that want to get the shrimp before the eel finds it. I use a rigid air line to do the "beatings". Their eyesight no so good but I swear it can smell the shrimp as I chop it up before it goes into tank!

Curious. How big has yours grown over 7 years?

I find it comical when our convict flashes towards our ZE not realizing the actual size differences.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. How big has yours grown over 7 years?

I find it comical when our convict flashes towards our ZE not realizing the actual size differences.
If I remember correctly around 18 inches when I got it. Now probably around 25 inches or so.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had our Zebra Eel (ZE) for over a year now (about 3 ft in length by eye-balling it when roaming the rank. It's pretty chill and relaxed. There is a constant power struggle (aka territorial dispute) between the ZE and a convict tang that always has ended with the ZE backing down and going back into it's cave structure.

The aquascape affords us to be able to see it during the day and usually hangs it's head out to just chill.

Few personal notes from having it:

- When roaming it can unintentionally knock frags and small rock structures over, otherwise pretty casual when swimming about.
- Between the ongoing territory battle with the convict tang, I have witnessed it do a subtle lunge at the tang do to being irritated, but leads to nothing since not having sharp teeth.
- Calm demeanor
- Regrets? At first because of feeding leading to elevated nutrients, but have now got that under control. Plan for this if it has not be brought to mind.

If something else comes to mind, I will post again.

Pic from the side of the tank. Barely visible body.

20201231_180545.jpg
Did you QT your Zebra Eel prior to putting him in your DT? If so, what method did you use?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not QT our Eel. With that mind, if I could have I would have, but no room to have a seperate QT set up.

What works for one does not mean it will work for others. I do recommend QT'ing if possible. ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a zebra eel for about 2 years. Mine almost never shows during light hours .... I think literally just once or twice. Hasn’t bothered any fish that I have seen. Fish do occasionally go missing, but there are lots of other possible causes. Mostly a pointless fish frankly. I would rehome it but it’s impossible to catch without wreaking the tank. I did do QT, and it’s grown from about 24” to 30” in two years.

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zebra eel that I’m selling was 10-11” when I bought it , currently about 24-25” in about 8 years , out of all the fish I have had , he is the one that hs been with me the longest ..... has been thru a lot with me , two tanks move , power outages , water temp spikes ..... still debating on selling tank because of this zebra eel , they come out when they looking for food, fun focal point when company comes over and they want to feed it . This was an old pix ( when I first got it )
AAE84ECA-1FF0-4E66-A7B8-CD5E9B527B0D.jpeg

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine chills in his cave. Comes out for food and occasional swim. Never bothers fish. Frequently shares his cave with my bristletooth tang.

Attachments

• 20201031_134754.jpg
    20201031_134754.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 46

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what size tanks you guys have your eels in. I used to have a green moray 25 years ago in a 180. That is one vicious eel. He killed/ate most of the fish I had in with him. Including a clown trigger, green bird wrasse and even a scorpion fish. I kept him by himself for the last five years. I ended up re-homing him after about ten years as he just got way too large. He was definitely a show stopper and fan favorite though. I'm currently working on a 240 mixed reef build for my Porcupine Puffer and am seriously thinking about a Zebra Eel. It will be a lagoon type scape with multiple large rock islands with plenty of swimming room between and around. I could easily build a dedicated cave with a viewable opening.

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what size tanks you guys have your eels in. I used to have a green moray 25 years ago in a 180. That is one vicious eel. He killed/ate most of the fish I had in with him. Including a clown trigger, green bird wrasse and even a scorpion fish. I kept him by himself for the last five years. I ended up re-homing him after about ten years as he just got way too large. He was definitely a show stopper and fan favorite though. I'm currently working on a 240 mixed reef build for my Porcupine Puffer and am seriously thinking about a Zebra Eel. It will be a lagoon type scape with multiple large rock islands with plenty of swimming room between and around. I could easily build a dedicated cave with a viewable opening.
Mine is currently in a 125

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is in a 120 gal. I would get one. I have no regrets about it and would do it again. I plan on a big upgrade down the road, so my ZE will be coming along. :D

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a zebra eel for about 2 years. Mine almost never shows during light hours .... I think literally just once or twice. Hasn’t bothered any fish that I have seen. Fish do occasionally go missing, but there are lots of other possible causes. Mostly a pointless fish frankly. I would rehome it but it’s impossible to catch without wreaking the tank. I did do QT, and it’s grown from about 24” to 30” in two years.
What method of QT did you do? From what I understand eels will not do well with Copper.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What method of QT did you do? From what I understand eels will not do well with Copper.

I do observational QT and only treat when symptoms present. None did with the eel, so no meds used. If necessary, CP has been my go to for years. I’m neither a fan of, nor a practitioner off, blasting new fish unnecessarily with a cocktail of meds.

Now that the idiotic speculations about CP and COVID have passed, it should be available again. I do not know if there are any problems with CP and eels though.

WhiteSandsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one that outgrew another aquarist tank a few months ago. It is about 26"x2" round it only pops out about 6-8" when he's hungry snatches something and back to hiding. It is never out.

It does love live crawfish and fidler crabs though. It might come out half way for them. Lol

Attachments

• 20210111_214838.jpg
    20210111_214838.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210111_214815.jpg
    20210111_214815.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 45

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I just lost my Zebra this morning. Had him 6 years, and he lived through all of my newbie lessons, tank nukinge, disease, and his hunger strike. I chalking his passing to old age. About 28 inches and thick.

Dude was an outstanding tank mate, never going after fish. He did claim a lobster claw once. Cleaninc crews are just snacks in my tank.

Definitely, a very cool focal point for your tank.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. Would be nice to know how old these guys are when we get them but sounds like your guy had a good run.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back