ZOA's not opening up-solved!

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I have had issues over the last 6 months of ZOA's not staying open. Sometimes for weeks and when they did open would only partially open with many of the ZOA's staying closed. All other corals are doing OK (Mushrooms, Hammer, Frogspawn, Candy Cane, Duncan, and a few other LPS). Tried all sorts of helpful information provided on Reef2Reef. Then at a new fish store in Irving TX, I discussed the issue with the owner. And he said to try adding a few drops of Iodine to the tank. He gave me Lugol's Solution from Brightwell Aquatics and ordered an iodine test kit. Added 4 drops to the tank and the next day all my ZOA's (3 colonies), over a 100 polyps were fully opened and extended. And they stay open all day . . . Wanted to share.

I will be testing for Iodine periodically and keep the level between .03 and .07 PPM ( target .05 PPM). So if your having issues with ZOA's add an Iodine test to the tool chest.

Tank is Red SEA 350 (73 gallons, 18 gallon sump). HD 26 lighting (2). SG 1.025 / 1.026. GFO. Carbon. UV. Dose Kalkwiser. Refugium. H380 light over it. PH-8. Nitrates 0. Phosphates .031. Calcium 430. DKH 7.8. Temp 78 to 80 (hot here in Texas). Use Fritz salt. Perform 1 gallon per day water change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I always recommend Iodine and Aminos to those with this issue.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update if they are still open in a week, how long have you had 0 nitrates I’d of guessed that was the problem. Just wondering if they’re simply opening to consume the iodine and will close again from lack of nutrients.

Sorry I’m new here and know a lot of people run 0 nitrate tanks though.

1 gallon a day isn’t enough to supplement the depleting levels?

I keep seeing posts with problems using fritz salt but I’m also a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

And yet now I want to buy iodine Incase I run into this but that means I’ll have to buy the test kit too lol

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas love iodine. Just be careful.
Also, hobbyist level iodine test kits are totally worthless.
Do not dose based on any levels you read on them!
Only way to really get your iodine level is to send in an ICP-OES sample.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think what I was getting at, is it normal for iodine to become part of the dosing regimen? High demand tanks or something where water changes won’t cut it?

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies. I think nitrates are being locked up. I have a refugium lit with a h380 light. I pull a pint or a little more of Cheto a week. Grows like mad. Run GTO in a reactor and when phosphates rise above .04 or a little more will change GFO. Since adding corals and H380 light to refugium I have noticed phosphate levels are not rising very fast. The Zoas continue to be open during the day. Been about 2 weeks since dosing a little iodine. I feed corals once a week. Fish once a day. Sometimes twice. Add phytoplankton twice a week to help pod populations as I have a madrian fish.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies. I think nitrates are being locked up. I have a refugium lit with a h380 light. I pull a pint or a little more of Cheto a week. Grows like mad. Run GTO in a reactor and when phosphates rise above .04 or a little more will change GFO. Since adding corals and H380 light to refugium I have noticed phosphate levels are not rising very fast. The Zoas continue to be open during the day. Been about 2 weeks since dosing a little iodine. I feed corals once a week. Fish once a day. Sometimes twice. Add phytoplankton twice a week to help pod populations as I have a madrian fish. Nitrates have always been nearly 0, using the api test kit. Tank is 8 months old.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I have had issues over the last 6 months of ZOA's not staying open. Sometimes for weeks and when they did open would only partially open with many of the ZOA's staying closed. All other corals are doing OK (Mushrooms, Hammer, Frogspawn, Candy Cane, Duncan, and a few other LPS). Tried all sorts of helpful information provided on Reef2Reef. Then at a new fish store in Irving TX, I discussed the issue with the owner. And he said to try adding a few drops of Iodine to the tank. He gave me Lugol's Solution from Brightwell Aquatics and ordered an iodine test kit. Added 4 drops to the tank and the next day all my ZOA's (3 colonies), over a 100 polyps were fully opened and extended. And they stay open all day . . . Wanted to share.

I will be testing for Iodine periodically and keep the level between .03 and .07 PPM ( target .05 PPM). So if your having issues with ZOA's add an Iodine test to the tool chest.

Tank is Red SEA 350 (73 gallons, 18 gallon sump). HD 26 lighting (2). SG 1.025 / 1.026. GFO. Carbon. UV. Dose Kalkwiser. Refugium. H380 light over it. PH-8. Nitrates 0. Phosphates .031. Calcium 430. DKH 7.8. Temp 78 to 80 (hot here in Texas). Use Fritz salt. Perform 1 gallon per day water change.

What Iodine test kit you used?

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea reef test kit iodine pro. It works good enough. You compare a stand color you make with your sample. Then place both on a card. I am now dialed in at .06 ppm. Zoas still are open and extend. Will likely test once a month. I add two drops of iodine a week.
20190825_084124.jpg

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update if they are still open in a week, how long have you had 0 nitrates I’d of guessed that was the problem. Just wondering if they’re simply opening to consume the iodine and will close again from lack of nutrients.

Sorry I’m new here and know a lot of people run 0 nitrate tanks though.

1 gallon a day isn’t enough to supplement the depleting levels?

I keep seeing posts with problems using fritz salt but I’m also a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

And yet now I want to buy iodine Incase I run into this but that means I’ll have to buy the test kit too lol
Zoas still doing outstanding. Red sea iodine test indicates .06. I going to test one a month. Also, on nitrates, my weekly test continues to show zero using API test. Going to order red sea nitrate test kit. API does not measure low levels.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas still doing outstanding. Red sea iodine test indicates .06. I going to test one a month. Also, on nitrates, my weekly test continues to show zero using API test. Going to order red sea nitrate test kit. API does not measure low levels.

API Nitrate sucks, its good only with high nitrates, I use nyos which have lower ranges and I keep them around 5-12ppm

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dealing with this issue for the past 2 months. Im at my witts end. Zoas not opening, however palys seem to be doing fine like my nuclear green and my pandoras. Im up for trying anything.

20190721_123851.jpg 20190723_204349.jpg 20190716_204324.jpg

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having the EXACT same issue for a while now as well. I have Fuel coming in the mail tomorrow, which I see has Iodine in it.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome that adding Iodine helped your issue. That is great to know.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back