OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you over do it? Will it crash the tank?worst case scenario? I dont know if it is worth adding at all for just zoas I have others I am much more attached to. I
Let's not give up on the zoas. I get it. 2 drops (total) for 60 gallons will not crash the tank. With that said; suggest sending your water to one of those test centers or get the red sea pro iodine kit. It will provide a reading. Ball park. Be sure and follow the temperature soak for the reference sample. I added some iodine per the local fish store owner. Not the bottle. And the zoas came to life.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not give up on the zoas. I get it. 2 drops (total) for 60 gallons will not crash the tank. With that said; suggest sending your water to one of those test centers or get the red sea pro iodine kit. It will provide a reading. Ball park. Be sure and follow the temperature soak for the reference sample. I added some iodine per the local fish store owner. Not the bottle. And the zoas came to life.
I little more information based on lugols solution. The label states one drop in one gallon is approximately (.6 ppm). So divide by 60 gallons then would rase iodine by (.01 ppm). So 2 drops will increase (.02 ppm). Target is (.05 ppm) +/- (.02 ppm). You are safe to add 2 drops to your 60 gallon tank and hopefully the zoas will respond. I have a lps coral tank and they are all happy at the moment.

20190901_100356.jpg 20190901_100339.jpg 20190901_100330.jpg 20190901_100317.jpg

JurisHP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use for iodine(Fuel). My LFS went into great detail on all the benefits Fuel provides. I’ve used it for about 2 years. When I run out , sometimes I don’t buy more and sure enough, in time, my zoas look weak and not happy. When I start dosing again, I usually see overnight results. I now have the biggest bottle they make in my fridge lol. Good stuff
What exactly is the "Fuel" you referenced? Is it the BioFuel from Brightwell?

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , you could overdo , Brightwells Iodion says 5 ml per 50 gals , to bring it to 0.04 to 0.06 . But you must test . I had the Salifert kit but didn't like it , couldnt even see any reaction on the test after i dosed for several days of Iodion. Not sure what test kit to recommend .
A
Any update on your zoas since adding iodine?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought fuel, I’m hoping this will help. I bought 11 corals and when I put them in the tank all were good, opening, I even saw a couple with new growth. Now 3 weeks later I have several that don’t open fully or at all. I was search on r2r to see if others had similar issues, so fingers crossed I get similar results.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out for you, in terms of my tank, i had tried so many different things, all by researching here at R2R and none worked for me so far. Some Zoas are doing fine but some are not. My ICP results came in yesterday and mostly all seem to be in range, I still can't understand what and why.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just came to this. let me know what's going on in a nut shell and your thoughts.. I won't have time to read all the thread up to here. What's going on?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When zoanthids aren't opening it's most likely because of:
1) Something physically irritating it.
2) A type of disease.
3) Poor quality and/or excess of light.
4) Poor water quality (huge subject), including dosing wrong/unnecessary chemicals.
5) Adapting period to the new system.
6) Wrong temperature.
7) A simple metabolic cleanness.
Each case is a case.
It's just impossible to come up with one answer to all the people participating in a thread like this.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out for you, in terms of my tank, i had tried so many different things, all by researching here at R2R and none worked for me so far. Some Zoas are doing fine but some are not. My ICP results came in yesterday and mostly all seem to be in range, I still can't understand what and why.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried low light, high light, dipped in fresh water, dipped in revive, added ammino acids, etc. I have also last week run a dosing of chemiclean. I have other lps, sps, and fish that are doing fine (so my water params are fine). My zoas just dont open up fully, and dont stay open all day and some stay closed all day. Already lost a frag of bam bams that melted. The ones that do open, or try to are looking smaller and smaller now physically which I'm assuming is the lack of nutrition from not opening fully. On the other hand, I have palys like pandoras, nuclear greens that I can't keep track of and are getting out of control. Soooooooo frustrating. I do have some asterinas in the tank but not fully committed to saying they are the culprit. About to buy some Kent lugols to start dosing iodine.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any real difference between Fuel and Lugols? I bought Fuel because my LFS carries Seachem and is their preferred brand, however, if something works better I’ll return it for the other?

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is one possibilit. I did all sorts of things and had zero luck. My zoas continue open every day and are spreading. One item to consider is getting a red sea iodine test kit. Fowlliw the directions exactly as written to get a good ready. In my case iodine was low and doser until I got it to .06 ppm. I now dose 2 drops a week.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay without dosing any iodine for years and don't have the problem.
Iodine has it's place in reefing and I'm not saying it won't have benefits.
It's just that one can dose it and still have the problems with zoas closing up.
Iodine is not directly related to all cases of closed zoas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back