★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW WATER CHANGE ( Regimen ) TWO in ONE (During Weekly SPS TANK Nitrate Reduction Attempt)

That's a smart way to go about it. I do the same for my fish QT tanks when they are up and running, using display tank water to perform water changes on the quarantine tanks once the salinity is equal.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a smart way to go about it. I do the same for my fish QT tanks when they are up and running, using display tank water to perform water changes on the quarantine tanks once the salinity is equal.
Yes, exactly what I USED to do. Re-use DT Water for QT. It's actually Ideal since it prepares Fish for going into DT (perfect match).

But doing DT to DT was something that I never considered since I worried about Water Quality (trace elements low, and N&P high).
If this was monthly water change the value of SPS DT water wouldn't be as good.
Weekly water changes is different. (Also my SPS DT has way lower N&P)

Another value in this is for my LPS tank I used to use Cheaper Salt, now that tank is getting Better Tropic Marin Pro that I use for SPS tank. (Balanced Trace, and higher K)

I bet that if I slow down on WCs, and do once every two weeks, I can continue this forever and save some SALT $'s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm In EARLY "Good" TROUBLE ( Few FRAG Plugs are about to Encrust on ROCKS) SPS Frags too Close

The price you pay when things are going well. I wasn't expecting this for a few more months.

Some of the Frags, have accelerated on encrustment. Just about to Encrust on my Rock Scape.

Tough DECISION. They can't stay as is, since 2 Inches apart is way to close.

Moving Any Frag is risky since it changes Lighting, Circulation.

I have to figure out a prioritization. Nicer one stays.......2nd choice moves. BUT WHERE!! Tank is crammed at the IDEAL Locations.

Might move to back, or corners.

OR JUST LEAVING THEM AS IT and let nature do it's thing. Adjust later. (not all might make it)

LET THE TANK BECOME A WILD OVERLAPPING FOREST.
Much better than Past (bucket full of Dead SPS Plugs)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Day (Zero) Helfrichi Firefish

I couldn't pass up on the Opportunity to have these fish. Price was too good to pass up.

43790012450_e14ce8c2d7_c.jpg

They were in Copper Tank at the LFS, so already transfered once.
Looking fine (no visible ICH), but obviously still a BIG ICH risk.

Will be do extra diligent QT and Full Tank Transfer Method (3x)

1) This Tank Transfer #1, with Copper Treament (same level as LFS 0.2)
2) Next Tank is Transfer #2 (no Copper)
3) Then Tank Transfer #3 into Frag Tank
4) Month of observation and whatever is required.

THEY ARE both eating well, so vitamins will help the journey.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST FOR FUN ( Amazon LED Grow Light Panel) For Algae Scrubber

I don't really need this upgrade since the LED Strip I added to (ATS) is doing Great.

But it arrived, from Amazon. (Price is Hard to beat. Panel, LEDS, and Current Driver...I couldn't make one DIY for 1/2 the price)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XFMCJZR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and before I return it, I will see how it does. Possibly add an ATS to my Kitchen Tank. Or use it to start next Springs Tomato Seedling.

TESTING IT on my FRAG tank (which has a bit of Algae from Last QT setup)

44885884664_e82912c67e_c.jpg

Makes the Frag Tank look pretty impressive. Kids noticed the Glow.
FROM THE SIDE the Frag Tank Looks like it has a DISCO FLOOR.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST FOR FUN ( Amazon LED Grow Light Panel) For Algae Scrubber

I don't really need this upgrade since the LED Strip I added to (ATS) is doing Great.

But it arrived, from Amazon. (Price is Hard to beat. Panel, LEDS, and Current Driver...I couldn't make one DIY for 1/2 the price)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XFMCJZR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and before I return it, I will see how it does. Possibly add an ATS to my Kitchen Tank. Or use it to start next Springs Tomato Seedling.

TESTING IT on my FRAG tank (which has a bit of Algae from Last QT setup)

44885884664_e82912c67e_c.jpg

Makes the Frag Tank look pretty impressive. Kids noticed the Glow.
FROM THE SIDE the Frag Tank Looks like it has a DISCO FLOOR.

Nice and the shape seems perfect for a scrubber. My tank is in the front corner of the house and I live on the corner of the street. I am sure neighbors on all sides see the pink refugium glow and assume I am growing weed. LOL.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helfrichi Firefish (QT Treament) PLAN

I mapped out my QT plan on paper so I don't miss or make any mistakes.

FOOD & VITAMINS: They both eat Frozen Brine shrimp (spirulina) and I am Soaking alternatively between (BOYD Vita-chem and KENT Zoe)
---------> They have tasted Flake Food, but prefer Frozen. Will continue to train them (by adding some Garlic Extract)

STAGE 1 [QT-0] ) They are in the First 10 Gallon QT TANK
--------------> DAY 0 (today)
-----------------------------------> I raised CUPRAMINE (copper) treatment to 0.2 mg/L NOT 0.5 which is typical for active diseases.
-------------------------------------------> Choice for lower Copper Level is it doesn't cause fish Organ Damage. (which I think is why my Caryberryi Anthias just died suddenly last week)
-------------------------------------------> Also this is ICH prevention (so any ICH going freefloat will be killed)
-----------------------------------> I have various MEDS but decided on most Gentle and broad-treatment (Seachem METROPLEX). For Parasite and Bacterial Infections.
-----------------------------------> This also fits into the Tank Transfer Method (since Metroplex is treated Day 0, and Day2

STAGE 2 [QT-1] ) 72 hours after Stage 1

----------------------------------> Fish will be transferred into a clean 2nd 10 Gallon Tank (to do the Proven and Tested [3 Step TTM method for ICH Cure]
----------------------------------> No more Copper at this Stage (unless I see indication of ICH)
----------------------------------> Will consider a 2nd METROPLEX Treatment

STAGE 3 [QT-2] ) 72 hours after Stage 2

----------------------------------> Fish will be transferred into the clean/sterile ORIGINAL 10 Gallon Tank (This will technically be the end of TTM)
----------------------------------> This will not be their final QT stage since I want Extra Insurance.

STAGE 4 [QT-3] ) 72 hours after Stage 3
----------------------------------> Fish will be transferred into my 35 Gallon Frag/Tank for a long observation Period (the final before DT)
----------------------------------> I will feed more since the tank has Bio-Handling capacity.

STAGE 5 [DT] ) up to 6 weeks after Stage 4 (No rush these fish are fun to watch alone)
----------------------------------> DECISION TIME:
-------------------------------------------------> If I have a Pair (which appears to be the case) they will go into one of two DT (together) [ Either SPS tank or Kitchen Tank]
-------------------------------------------------> If I don't have a Pair (ie, they fight). They will be split up into both my DT tanks.
(FAMILY SAW Them, and they want them in Kitchen tank)

Roughly this put's me close to Christmas this year for some new fish in one or both of my tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure neighbors on all sides see the pink refugium glow and assume I am growing weed. LOL.
I bet my neighbors thought that for years (my basement glows all kind of colors). Same for first floor Kithen tank next to sliding door.
But no longer a concern since Canada just legalized Weed, and like LEDs, Weed is cheaper to buy online (home Delivery) than DIY, or for that matter Dealers.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet my neighbors thought that for years (my basement glows all kind of colors). Same for first floor Kithen tank next to sliding door.
But no longer a concern since Canada just legalized Weed, and like LEDs, Weed is cheaper to buy online than DIY, or for that matter Dealers.

Good point. I should probably start growing some since everyone probably thinks I do anyway. Probably be legal here soon too.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYANO is Rising ( As Phosphate approaches LOWER 0.1 ppm)

So I am starting to see Cyano patches in particular areas of rock. Mostly where there is no Coraline Coverage.
My guess is this is related to me working on Dropping Phosphates (SLOWLY) to my target of 0.1 (using PhosGuard).

This makes sense as Dr Randy Holmes Article describes that Rocks will slowly leach of Phosphates as P drops.

And it becomes exponentially slower to get P lower and lower (since rocks take longer to leach out last bit)

I basically went from P=0.25 to current P=0.12 over last six weeks or so.
It has been slow and no damage to corals. They all appear to be getting better.

Cyano doesn't bother me. I never seen it do any damage to corals (especially SPS)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYANO is Rising ( As Phosphate approaches LOWER 0.1 ppm)

So I am starting to see Cyano patches in particular areas of rock. Mostly where there is no Coraline Coverage.
My guess is this is related to me working on Dropping Phosphates (SLOWLY) to my target of 0.1 (using PhosGuard).

This makes sense as Dr Randy Holmes Article describes that Rocks will slowly leach of Phosphates as P drops.

And it becomes exponentially slower to get P lower and lower (since rocks take longer to leach out last bit)

I basically went from P=0.25 to current P=0.12 over last six weeks or so.
It has been slow and no damage to corals. They all appear to be getting better.

Cyano doesn't bother me. I never seen it do any damage to corals (especially SPS)

Cyano comes and goes. The only place I thought I might have an issue with Cyano is in my refugium. It would grow over the Chaeto. Even that was not too bad as the Chaeto stayed healthy and slowly growing as always.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano comes and goes. The only place I thought I might have an issue with Cyano is in my refugium. It would grow over the Chaeto. Even that was not too bad as the Chaeto stayed healthy and slowly growing as always.
Yeah. This Cyano is LITE.
When I had it before it would get thick and have bubbles.
This is thin, barely powder coating, and small patches here and there.
Next day patch is better and another appears.
Not the Typical Cyano I've had before, so thus the reason I think this is slow leaching from Rocks.

But you do raise an interesting point. Could the Cyano be breeding in my Cheato. I need to harvest it more often. It's a low flow, icky spot that could breed Cyano.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need 8-13 new fish by Xmas for your tankS
No, this has to be the last two fish for the SPS tank. What more can I ask for, since I have Madarin, Copperband, Wanatbei Angel, Yellow Tank, Suburst Anthias, Magma Wrasse, Black Cap Basslet, and One Lonely Carriberryi Anthias.
Things already are cozy for everyone. Ideal Caves spots are running out for good viewing by me.
Plus they will all get bigger like the Magma Wrasse. He is getting very comfortable (now eating PELLETS :) ) , but keeps hurting/scratching himself (then heals quickly).
If it wasn't the Carrberryi Anthias Dying I'm not sure I'd get the Gobies. but they are BEAUTIFUL (peaceful too).

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten gobies basically = 2 fish, you can do it no problem!
Maybe true. But these two gobies in QT eat everything I give them. Very good eaters (great while getting over ICH, which I don't see anymore, but could be lurking).
They take their time to slowly chase food, but no tankmate competition.
Things will change in DT.
They will be ideal to get to food that floats into tight spots the big fish can't fit into.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe true. But these two gobies in QT eat everything I give them. Very good eaters (great while getting over ICH, which I don't see anymore, but could be lurking).
They take their time to slowly chase food, but no tankmate competition.
Things will change in DT.
They will be ideal to get to food that floats into tight spots the big fish can't fit into.
Actually they're like little vacuum cleaners that clean up the left overs

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they're like little vacuum cleaners that clean up the left overs
Perfect. I do appreciate their behavior. Notice they even scoop up the odd small pellet from the bottom of tank.
I don't want any more firefire, but will look into other gobies (down the road). QT is reserved right now.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. I do appreciate their behavior. Notice they even scoop up the odd small pellet from the bottom of tank.
I don't want any more firefire, but will look into other gobies (down the road). QT is reserved right now.
Firefish seldom get along, so yeah you'd be getting other gobies.

I'll say I advise everybody get a neon goby, they're cleaner fish and the other fish love visiting for a scrubbing

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TESTING a IMAGE SLIDER (PHOTOS: 110 G SPS TANK May-2018 to Now Oct- 2018)

Been testing a IMAGE slider programming function.

Presents two images, and you get to compare using a SLIDER with your mouse.

Click and SLIDE on the DIVIDOR LINE.
( a little tricky to find the Right Spot to made slider slide)...

....it is right at the division. CLICK WITH LEFT MOUSE BUTTON (HOLD and Slide left and right).

It works on CHROME, FIREFOX, but not sure what else.

Click on URL below and let me know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://wworld.atspace.cc/slider110G-01/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHOTO is of my 110G Tank, Before and Recently.

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS.

I can show you how to do it, or if you post your two images to me I can post up on my Free Web Site (then you can share with whoever you want)

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back