★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those definitely weren't monti polyps but you're right, they looked similar!

I will say that your progress is good. And FYI, I had a local club member with your same problems you had a month or two ago. I told him the same thing, the chaeto was stripping his water sterile and stealing all the trace elements that SPS need. Based on your success I suggested a light dosing of Fuel. His tank has improved dramatically and is taking off again.

The chaeto was his problem.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those definitely weren't monti polyps but you're right, they looked similar!

I will say that your progress is good. And FYI, I had a local club member with your same problems you had a month or two ago. I told him the same thing, the chaeto was stripping his water sterile and stealing all the trace elements that SPS need. Based on your success I suggested a light dosing of Fuel. His tank has improved dramatically and is taking off again.

The chaeto was his problem.
Good to hear Fuel Helped him. I still use it on my LPS Tank since water changes are few. But I stopped on my SPS tank since WC+Dosing could conflict on Trace Elements.
Just tell you friend to not get Fuel Happy when he starts seeing improvements.
Happy corals will quickly get joined by by Happy Algae Bloom.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear Fuel Helped him. I still use it on my LPS Tank since water changes are few. But I stopped on my SPS tank since WC+Dosing could conflict on Trace Elements.
Just tell you friend to not get Fuel Happy when he starts seeing improvements.
Happy corals will quickly get joined by by Happy Algae Bloom.

Agreed -- Although I think some algae is a good indicator of a thriving tank. Algae is only bad when it gets out of control!

That said, I told him to do a half dose, half as often as suggested. So he's doing about a 1/4 dose. He also doesn't do water changes as he's on a calcium reactor.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MONTI Frag ( Cleaned up & Remounted ) Cut, Custom Epoxy Platter Plug, Mounted Back

Done.

I first cut off the Rock with Monti, OFF of Plug. Then worked on removing the Monti from the Rock.

45481752801_696ed4cca9_z.jpg

The Monti Piece was nicely separated. Minor Damage.

45481753191_889c68fda6_z.jpg

Then I made a CUSTOM plug from Epoxy (Red & Slate Grey Color mix). 3- PARTS:

-> Dome Base Hardned with Monti inserted
-> An Extension Arm
-> and (Soft Glob of Putty to attach Platter to Rock)

44757052634_0ee6b2599b_z.jpg

Came out better than before. More Upright. Bigger Growth BASE, and exposed to better light. [ I can expand if needs growing room ].

45481753631_57b4b437dd_b.jpg

The blurry RED Streak is the MAGMA Wrasse. It's getting comfortable in the DT.

I feel better NOW about not worrying about a pest invasion down the road.

Nice action.
You also caught a brittle star fish!
If it is the mini version, I do not really consider these pests, but that is merely my opinion.
I saw them on my coral without harming them.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to Get some Frag Photos (GOT NONE) Fish were in a Posing Mood

Weird. I tried to get some Frag Photos for Growth Compares, but the DARN Fish wouldn't get out of the way. (It's close to feeding time)

So I gave up and got some Fish Photo's instead. BEST EVER of a few of my Tank Residents.

Wanatabei Angel [ his tail is almost fully grown back ] (Tang wouldn't move aside)

44735571804_14853cd33a_b.jpg

Black Capped Basslet

44735585504_21d5f83ed4_b.jpg

Blue Green Chromis (JUMBO)
45408487572_51519f8349_b.jpg

Sunburst Anthias (Yes, he is eating well now)

31585538388_cfd5ac5a5c_b.jpg

45460844241_b342089007_b.jpg

And the YELLOW TANG (who wants to be in Every PHotos, but I got one of him SOLO)

44546190705_58ac241db2_b.jpg

After this Photo Shoot (I fed them EXTRA) :)

I could not get a photo of the Cariberryi Anthias. He is the most beautiful specimen in my tank. But lighting fast, and doesn't stand still for very long.

Very nice pics!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INSTANT Frag Tank ( Mushroom Bin ) MAIN Frag Tank Being Prepared for QT

So I went to LFS to return the Single Wild Black Percula Clown for a Credit.

I've been eyeing a TANK WITH FISH .......out of my price range. Even 1 fish was insane!!

Fish Room manager noticed my interest. After discussion he stated he wanted to get rid of them since nobody buying.
Offer too good to refuse, taking some trade ins. So 3 fish are on HOLD till I prepare the QT (Frag Tank).

To offset the price STORE will also take Frags for Credit. Mushrooms are popular.

SO I did a water change in Kitchen TANK, and Sucked up all loose Shrooms in my tank. I have lots of floaters.
@Rakie suggested I stop throwing them out.

Here is a Frag Tank I hacked together running in same Sump as Tank that I extracted the Shroom from and I Mounted ON PLUGS with Glue. Some were attached to rubble, sand.

45527963811_c5471fab8f_z.jpg

Just to make sure if they loosen and float away, a double guard mess will prevent that.
31655444828_fe06a9bbee.jpg

Here is what I got from ONE Water Change HOSE SWEEP.

31655447588_8c6657372d_b.jpg

Will help with the Price of the 3 Fish. (Species that Rakie also suggested). Man he is on a roll!!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott......(That's your name Correct?).

So you hopped over from your Thread were I discovered my Twin Sister Tank.
Welcome to this Parallel Universe.

Au contraire, mon frère. I've watched this thread for a while. I'm just not quite as prolific in my writing as you. However, I have resolved myself to be more interactive with the good folks who post often in mine! :)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Au contraire, mon frère. I've watched this thread for a while. I'm just not quite as prolific in my writing as you. However, I have resolved myself to be more interactive with the good folks who post often in mine! :)
Ahh. OK. So you have been here before. Quietly.

I kind of thought the only folks watching here were @Rakie, @Janci, @NY_Caveman, @tenurepro, @Fudsey and a few others.

So here is what happened. TWO DAYS ago I enabled EMAILING NOTICES, which triggered all the Threads I added to Watch-List over the last while.
and now I am getting a ton of notices. That got my attention to wander and participate more, in other peoples threads. Like yours, etc. (NOT SURE how I came across your thread...my memory sometimes fades on me)

Plus back in old Tank (with Soap poision), I was struggling so much there was no time to wander.

Now I have time (watching frags grow at blistering pico-microns a day), so it's nice to hang around other people threads too.
It helps me learn that I maybe Write TOO much, since reading others folks super active threads is tough. And even tougher to catch up.
Photo's help to speed read, and I like that you post many. Others too.

I try to do HEADERS, highlights, and color to make it a bit easier to read/catch main points, but it's still babble, babble.
But for me I'll keep babbling good stuff and dull stuff, since it's kind my diary, and my whiteboard in one. (Feel sorry for anyone having Email Notices on)

I've been thinking, I need to START another more QUIET THREAD on just this SPS TANK. One I will only update my Tank Photo once a month ( and maybe one or two Frag Growth Features)

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh. OK. So you have been here before. Quietly.

I kind of thought the only folks watching here were @Rakie, @Janci, @NY_Caveman, @tenurepro, @Fudsey and a few others.

So here is what happened. TWO DAYS ago I enabled EMAILING NOTICES, which triggered all the Threads I added to Watch-List over the last while.
and now I am getting a ton of notices. That got my attention to wander and participate more, in other peoples threads. Like yours, etc. (NOT SURE how I came across your thread...my memory sometimes fades on me)

Plus back in old Tank (with Soap poision), I was struggling so much there was no time to wander.

Now I have time (watching frags grow at blistering pico-microns a day), so it's nice to hang around other people threads too.
It helps me learn that I maybe Write TOO much, since reading others folks super active threads is tough. And even tougher to catch up.
Photo's help to speed read, and I like that you post many. Others too.

I try to do HEADERS, highlights, and color to make it a bit easier to read/catch main points, but it's still babble, babble.
But for me I'll keep babbling good stuff and dull stuff, since it's kind my diary, and my whiteboard in one. (Feel sorry for anyone having Email Notices on)

I've been thinking, I need to START another more QUIET THREAD on just this SPS TANK. One I will only update my Tank Photo once a month ( and maybe one or two Frag Growth Features)

Nah. I say write as much as you want. These build threads are as much for your enjoyment and to document and chronical your experience for yourself as is for the enjoyment of others. People will scan over anything they don't want to dig into thoroughly.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps me learn that I maybe Write TOO much, since reading others folks super active threads is tough.

I like that you write a lot. Then I do not feel like mine is too much (I babble on a lot too as you know).

Double guard is brilliant. Cannot wait to see the new fish!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your writing is fine, everything people say or think of in our threads is useful information -- even if it doesn't feel that way. I can't tell you how many times people have sparked a thought by just their thinking out loud.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your writing is fine, everything people say or think of in our threads is useful information -- even if it doesn't feel that way. I can't tell you how many times people have sparked a thought by just their thinking out loud.

Right! Even the frustration in a new reefer's thread could make you rethink something obvious or accepted.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And other are just lurking around to find something new which they then can try out themselves.
I enjoy reading other threads even more then maintaining my own. :)
My tank is just so slllooowwwww.... ;)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COOL NEWS ( One of the Captive Bred Clowns is Hosting ) and BAD NEWS ( The SPECIAL Fish are NOT coming home.....) BUT A BLESSING.

I was passing by the Kitchen Tank this morning, and did a double take. But what I thought I saw, WAS NOT Actually happening.

So later tonight after going to LFS store to pickup the Special fish (empty handed), I passed by the tank again. This time IT WAS HAPPENING.

Check it out. Captive bred too.
45494082022_ea58cfc726.jpg

One of the Clowns has started Hosting with the TRUMPET CORAL CLUSTER.
My Trumpets are super Puffy, and he is rubbing himself silly into the Pillows.
Trumpet don't seem to care.

And the Bad NEWS which is actually Blessing.
I delayed picking up the Super Low $ Deal Fish, since QT wasn't ready.
Yesterday I was busy.

Today I went to pick them up.

THREE OF THESE

31671861668_930aae7426.jpg

Helfrichi Firefish.

They were in that Store tank for Weeks. Clean two days ago.
TODAY two out of 4 had ICH. Most likely from a Big Shipment of Tangs that just came in and were added to the same Tank.
Obviously I left them.
Store said they would treat them in their Copper tank, and if all goes well, they are mine (if I want them. Same price)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW WATER CHANGE ( Regimen ) TWO in ONE (During Weekly SPS TANK Nitrate Reduction Attempt)

I didn't plan on this when I put the KITCHEN TANK Sump Under the SPS TANK. But it works really well.

Since I am doing weekly 15% water changes on my SPS tank to bring down nitrates, I think it WASTING GOOD WATER.

I would never do this in REVERSE, but my Kitchen TANK is kind of filthy, and self running. Nitrates & Phosphates way higher.

So the SPS TANK Drained water is better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) UPSTAIRS IN KITCHEN I DRAIN THE TANK into FIVE 5 Gallon Buckets.
(2) I have a hole in deck and I pump it out side through Sliding door.

31688683258_85cf263a78.jpg

NOW DOWNSTAIRS (Directly Below in my SUMP ROOM)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) I drain the SPS TANK of 20 Gallons....I could drain directly into the Kitchen Tank SUMP (but I need to know 20 Gallons worth).
---> In future I will mark the Tank for 20G. And that could be tricky on timing when to turn on Return Pump. (So garbage Can method is safer. Just in case a distraction happens)
(2) That SPS tank water goes into Kitchen TANK SUMP (then RETURN PUMP pushes water back upstairs)
(3) Then I fill SPS TANK SUMP ( and turn on Return PUMP)

45510856072_31e4290ecb_z.jpg

All done with minimal mess, and record time. ECO Friendly on SALT/RO-Water.

I've done this twice, and I can tell LPS Tank Corals are doing Better (after each water change). So the OLD SPS Tank water is a Water Quality Improvement to that tank.

I MAY do the odd NEW WATER change in the KITCHEN TANK (but like I used to....Once every 2 months)....Since I add Seachem Fuel to keep Trace Elements up.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back