★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TESTING a IMAGE SLIDER (PHOTOS: TANK May-2018 to Now Oct- 2018)

Been testing a IMAGE slider programming function.

Presents two images, and you get to compare using a SLIDER with your mouse.

Click and SLIDE on the DIVIDOR LINE.

It works on CHROME, FIREFOX, but not sure what else.

Click on URL below and let me know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://wworld.atspace.cc/slider110G-01/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHOTO is of my 110G Tank, Before and Recently.

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS.

I can show you how to do it, or if you post your two images to me I can post up on my Free Web Site (then you can share with whoever you want)

Using Safari on my iPhone 7 Plus, I see the slider come out and move, but I can not control it. I will try on a PC later. Very cool idea!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish seldom get along, so yeah you'd be getting other gobies.

I'll say I advise everybody get a neon goby, they're cleaner fish and the other fish love visiting for a scrubbing
I guess you mean Different Type of Firefish DON'T Get along.

The pair I have hang around together very nicely.

And I took a peek while they were sleeping.

43826693590_6f8093f854_b.jpg

Cute. Never seen fish do that. (Sleep Together)...But then this is my first pair (since the Wanatabei's Angel pair got ruined)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish (QT TTM #1) Completed

The first TTM Transfer is done. Things went well.

- Used A mix of Water from DT and some Fresh Mixed Salt Water
- Tanks perfectly match for Temp and Salinity

45653051831_5fc145471f_c.jpg

-> Treated TANK #2 with Some Stability (since Filter has to be sterilized and will be used for TTM #2)
-> Small Airstone for Airation and a Maxijet pump for circulation
-> Not going to use Mextroplex Med....Going with ParaGuard (since more gentle)

Almost forgot to meet the < 72 Hour TTM Deadline, but remembered due to my posted Schedule.

44738454385_0fd4bc38a5_z.jpg

Now it time to Sterilize the OLD Tank and stuff with Vinegar and let Dry to complete sterilization.

LEARNED A LESSON: (Cracked 2nd 10 Gal QT TANK)

I've cleaned my 10 Gallon tank dozens of times. But this time while rinsing, I switched water from HOT to COLD too quickly. HEARD A CRACK. Yup it cracked.
Crack is not bad, and I seal it with Silicone, and a patch of Acrylic (cured 3 days).
TESTED it with FULL TANK of Tap Water. HOLDING Perfectly.

I have crack at front of tank to watch it.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm.....maybe I'm am worrying too early. FISH ACTING A BIT STRESSED (Climbing walls ON-and-OFF)

I now turned off lights, and the maxijet (since it is more powerful then the Bio-Filter). Just running the air stone for (oxygen).

Water was matched perfectly and tank setup is almost identical.

Could be just the transfer stress (Netting and slightly different water).

I kind of wish I delayed the ParaGuard treatment, to have less changes (Copper treatment -> ParaGuard).

I will stop watching every minute and come back a in a couple of hours.

At least I did feed them very well before the transfer.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you mean Different Type of Firefish DON'T Get along.

The pair I have hang around together very nicely.

And I took a peek while they were sleeping.

43826693590_6f8093f854_b.jpg

Cute. Never seen fish do that. (Sleep Together)...But then this is my first pair (since the Wanatabei's Angel pair got ruined)

Nope, sadly, I mean firefish don't get along. They will get along now while stressed. But eventually one day they will likely turn on one another, and you'll end up with one :(

They tend to do this a lot, all species of firefish rarely end up surviving in pairs. Even mated pairs one day just flip out on each other. That said, once in a blue moon they'll get along and stay that way, you might be lucky!

If you find them fighting over a certain type of little cave, try to recreate a few more of them that are similar to ease their fighting.

I had a melanurus that was pretty bonded with my Firefish. They would sleep together all the time, which was really strange because melanurus are sand dwelling wrasse! But they got along very well.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, sadly, I mean firefish don't get along. They will get along now while stressed. But eventually one day they will likely turn on one another, and you'll end up with one :(

They tend to do this a lot, all species of firefish rarely end up surviving in pairs. Even mated pairs one day just flip out on each other. That said, once in a blue moon they'll get along and stay that way, you might be lucky!

If you find them fighting over a certain type of little cave, try to recreate a few more of them that are similar to ease their fighting.

I had a melanurus that was pretty bonded with my Firefish. They would sleep together all the time, which was really strange because melanurus are sand dwelling wrasse! But they got along very well.
Well thanks for the warning. I BELIEVE YOU.

IT IS "kind of" REALLY GOOD NEWS.

I took my chance with 7 Blue Green Chromis, and now I have only 1.

I was going to get 3 Firefish but only got these two.

My kids want the Firefish upstair is Kitchen Tank, I want them in my SPS TANK.

3 PROBLEMs SOLVED: One in each Tank. :) :)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIREFISH ( Used to Tank #2) Enjoying better Circulation TOO!!

I setup the HD Web Cam on the QT with Firefish.
31784114928_dfabbb5ec4_c.jpg

They are back to normally and no longer stressed. EATTING TOO.

They actually like the new setup with the MaxiJet, since it give them exercise swimming in the current (Good Training for SPS TANK)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah splitting them up can work fine!

It sucks because when they're nervous they hang out and look like they'd be a perfect pair forever... Sadly it rarely stays that way. There's always the one or two that survive as a pair, or even small colony for awhile and do exceptionally well... But they're very few, and far between.

I actually really like firefish... Enough that if I could make a large colony of them work, I'd be happy to have a tank stocked 100% with them.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually really like firefish... Enough that if I could make a large colony of them work, I'd be happy to have a tank stocked 100% with them.
Yup, they are nice. Just like I thought my beautiful School of Blue Green Chromis KILLERS was.
I got fooled once with Hope. Never again.

Wish to could get another Carriberryi Anthias for the one left. He is so freaked out being alone. I know those Anthias like being together and will not kill each other off.
I have a feeling the one that died......Died due to organ damage from the Copper I did. He was perfectly healthy the day before he died.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could always try a few again and start with observation, not medication (unless immediately apparent they are sick).

OR... You could mix and match Anthias. I had a buddy who had terrible luck with more than 1 of anything, because of that he's got 5-6 different anthias, one of each. All happy and healthy, they all interact, but none of them care enough about the other to fight. He may have been lucky though..

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever WONDER how Fish know their own species? (No mirrors in the ocean). This might be the answer (Human face recognition)

I always wonder how fish know their own species ( and then get along, or NOT).

They don't see themselves in mirrors, and the most they can see if anything is the tip of their fins.
Sure there is speculation it come from recognizing their parents at young age as safe, and genetics/hormones have things encoded to get along or not.
Like this article explains a bit.... https://infolific.com/pets/fish-in-the-wild/general-recognition/

I read this article on Scientific American. (RECENT BREAKTHROUGH) Explains how we humans can quickly identify a friend amongst a group of a 1000 Faces.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-we-save-face-researchers-crack-the-brains-facial-recognition-code/

I bet this is the encoding that fish have genetically, but it's locked in, not learned.

Interesting brain food.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was also a study showing that fish can recognize human faces with over 90% accuracy. They used archer fish and gave them pictures and rewards for shooting water at the proper picture.

The lady who runs the lab said whenever she walks in the fish all start spitting water at her because they associate her with getting treats!

Fish Recognize Faces <--- LINK

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish room has changed for the better very tidy. Did u build the 110 gal tank urself? I also love your rock work very well placed how did u come up with the design. Great build Following along can’t wait to see the updates!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish room has changed for the better very tidy. Did u build the 110 gal tank urself? I also love your rock work very well placed how did u come up with the design. Great build Following along can’t wait to see the updates!
First @Reefandthecurious, welcome to the thread. Nice to have you along.

I can build a lot of things, but left the Tank to the Experts. I custom designed the tank (size, Glass Type, Trim, Holes, Overflow), and Miracles Aquariums built it to my specs.
It's wasn't an easy decision to not go 48" wide, and I don't regret going 46" wide. Works for my office space, better for lights, and smaller Water Changes changes (since I used to have a 65 Gal Tank).

As far as rockwork. That is trial an error with whatever pieces you have.
Good to have some big pieces, and medium. Not all big, or small.
I looked around on internet and combined a few good ideas, but ultimately it's the rocks shapes you have.
It took me two tries. The first one failed since I tried to build the pieces outside my tank. While moving into tank one structure broke apart. So next time I built rockscape inside the Tank (with no water).
3 Islands was always my goal, and then I added the Arch to join, the left two islands (which I like).
Those two loose pieces of Tonga on the bottom used to point straight up, but that didn't work well for flow. So flat came out better.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you could always try a few again and start with observation, not medication (unless immediately apparent they are sick).

OR... You could mix and match Anthias. I had a buddy who had terrible luck with more than 1 of anything, because of that he's got 5-6 different anthias, one of each. All happy and healthy, they all interact, but none of them care enough about the other to fight. He may have been lucky though..
I didn't know two different Anthias would get along.
I guess they should be somewhat similar species of Anthias.
Like the Carriberryi doesn't notice the Sunburst Anthias.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know two different Anthias would get along.
I guess they should be somewhat similar species of Anthias.
Like the Carriberryi doesn't notice the Sunburst Anthias.

Yeah, they can. That buddy of mine has all the basic ones that most people have and they all get along fine.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in COMPLETE SHOCK!!!! ( One Firefish had ACCIDENTAL DEATH)

I thought I've done it all, but I guess not.

I came to inspect QT, and only saw one Firefish. The water didn't look right (kind of cloudy)
NO THE TANK did not leak from the Crack.

Then I saw the 2nd Firefish. It was half Mangled. Tail end.

I figured things out I think.

The Maxijet Pump was too strong, so I was pulsing it for 2 second bursts every 5 minutes.
The input guard fell off, and for some strange reason the Firefish must have gotten close (no idea why).
It must have gotten sucked in, tail end first.

Depressing. Weird.
I could understand if this happened at night during sleep, but during daytime when they were always swimming around.

I actually turned off the Web Cam Monitoring since things were going well.
Had I had it on, I would have more clues.

I am stunned and in disbelief.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still baffled. That was a one-in-million chance of that happening.

Anyway, I replaced the Maxijet with the SAFER Mini Pump I wanted to used but couldn't find.

43857222590_524e80d66d.jpg

I am trying to thinking Positive. At least I don't have to worry about two firefish in one tank (possibly one killing the other).

My brain is still digesting this freak accident. It would make sense if the fish jumped out somehow, but killed by a pump (only running 2 seconds out of 600 seconds) (with guard falling off), baffles me like nothing ever before.

I keep thinking is it Remotely possible that one killed the other, but these are firefish, not piranhas.

QT now looks lonely and weird since they were so nice together.

Last edited:

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries Wally. Although it happened to u just reading this I’m a little depress as well. Everyday and night I pray tmr my fish will still be alive. Taking any loss is tough but ur not alone my friend.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Reefandthecurious

Nice for you to come along for some support during a difficult time for me. This bugs me a lot right now.

But I have to keep my cool, and stay composed.

I have to take care of the remaining Firefish, since losing both would be just a bit too much.

The QT Tank is a bit polluted, but I don't want to overreact. My first though was move to fish to my Frag Tank which is empty. But that is reserved for the final transfer.
I just threw in a tiny blue legged hermit crab, just to clean up any flesh dust in this QT.

The first 10 Gallon QT tank is Sterile/Dry since 24 hours after vinegar disinfection yesterday at 6pm.

I'm going to do a water change to get some mature water and setup the first 10 GAL QT with proper Bio-filter pump.

Let it age a few hours and move the Firefish over. Maybe tomorrow morning, but maybe later tonight since moving fish to a clean tank might be better.

I will make that decision after I do a Amonia and Nitrite test.

Man this is mind boggling.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back