★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite the impact of nutrients. He will feel better physiologically just eating. How do you feel after you get done with the meal? Even if it is a pizza.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are sick and nice bowl of chowder sounds better than a zucchini sandwich

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say you have nothing to lose from a freshwater dip. A fish may start to look dead during a FW dip, but do not panic. If it is too stressed that is usually shown by rapid breathing.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say you have nothing to lose from a freshwater dip. A fish may start to look dead during a FW dip, but do not panic. If it is too stressed that is usually shown by rapid breathing.
I am seriously considering it but want to be 100% prepare for anything.

Have net, bucket, clear small container (to look for fall off), gloves, aeration, water aerated water, etc all ready

Maybe even tonight (less family distractions), but possibly tomorrow.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a matter of figuring out what they will eat.

A human can live off of Fritos longer than he could live starving
Yes, with anthias figuring out what they eat (first) is the trick.

But in this case, this guy ate ferociously everything I was feeding him, up to 3 days ago when he went into hiding.
He looks like he want to eat, since he stirs when I add food.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have agreed until I tried coral essentials. Nothing has done what it claims until I tried them
I have the two Coral Essentials you and Caveman talked me into buying..... (GRO and AMINO( bottles (Not cracked open in the fridge).
When my Cyano goes away....I will try them.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert. At first it looked like he was trying to eat. Towards the end of the video when he was facing down, looks like he's really breathing rapidly.
I agree he was trying to eat.
As far as breathing rapidly. For this kind of Anthias that was slow.
The other two that are healthy pant much faster then that.
I too would think his breathing was not normal, if I didn't have the others in the QT next door to compare.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYANO/Detritus Sweep ( Multi Flow/Tip HOSE )

Here is a Tool that I want to share with you since I've been using it now to MORE PROPERLY remove Cyano.

I am totally again blowing off Cyano with a Powerhead or even Turkey Baster.

THINK about it. It's Bacteria. If you blow it off, where do it go? DOESN'T Leave your CLOSED SYSTEM Tank.
(Sure looks great for a day or two, but Cyano will most likely come back)...Why?
It's because the BLOWN Off Cyano Goes into Water Column, and all over your sump areas, pumps, filters. To possibly get more food to stay alive.

Detritus is different (pure particulate). It will still settle on rock and Tank bottom (where you can sweep it up after it collects)

I CAN'T TAKE CREDIT for this Whole IDEA, but I made a Great Idea Even Better.

The idea I read is using a WIDE 1/2" or 3/4" hose is great for a QUICK WATER CHANGE.
But for Siphoning off Ditritus or multiple small area patched of Cyano, the Siphon is too Fast. By the time you start it, bucket fills, so fast, you barely have any time to do your sweep work. Possibly start another bucket, but even then, maybe you want a smaller water change.

SO THE IDEA was to use a narrow flexible Hose, that Gives you MUCH MORE TIME to SWEEP YOUR CYANO (or bottom Detritus)

I took it a bit further, and added CASCADING, HOSE REDUCERs, and some Cut To 45 degree ends.

44339445870_b3e2a396e2_b.jpg

YOu don't have to buy dozen of feet of each hose. Just go to Hardware/Home Depot and buy 6 inch pieces from Made to Cut Section. Find hoses/tubes that fit one into the other nice and snug.

I don't have all the SECTIONS hooked up AT SAME TIME as in photo above.

It works like this.

-> Main THICKEST HOSE it attached to one or two reducers, and you start the Siphon into Bucket. (Work good since the THICKER hose has a HEAVY Water Sihphon in it so more power at the Thinner reducer)

** Start with REDUCERS attached to Main HOSE **

-> You can start with a Few cascading reducers, and after some sweeping, pull one short end off, to increase the Flow (for more suction power on the rock)

There is one other HOSE I USE with is WIRE LOOM (must not be split or no siphon)...Loom is super flexible, and so much that I add a Stick to have a guide to reach far spots.

WISH I COULD give Due Credit to the Guy who mentioned the Narrow Tube Trick.
Since it's a Great Idea, and gives me dozens of minutes to work on my Siphon Sweeping (on a single 5 Gallon Water Change) .
(can't remember where I read it a few years ago)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your little guy has been on my mind.
Thanks for caring for the guy...... I check on him like 20 times a day. Hang around the corner peeking to see his behavior. Hoping. HOPING he starts eating.

Not sure what Nutrimar Ova is, but the Frozen CYCLOPS I am trying are as tiny as fresh frozen food gets.
Most fish go nuts, including Anthias when the spray of particulate food goes into tank.

But there is something, I noticed on the Video Camera when looking up the bottom Glass.
The are some live pods/shrimps crawling on the bottom glass. (tiny)
Maybe he is eating live food, but I doubt it.

But if he is....I just added Liquid Phytoplankton to the QT, and some Reef Chilli with Coral Frenzy Powder. To keep the Pods/Shrimps alive and possibly breeding.
He might eat some of the dust food too.
Tomorrow, I am going to collected some of my LIVE Tigger Pods from My Farm and add them too.

I'm polluting QT, but can do water changes more often to keep it clean.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CYANO/Detritus Sweep ( Multi Flow/Tip HOSE )

Here is a Tool that I want to share with you since I've been using it now to MORE PROPERLY remove Cyano.

I am totally again blowing off Cyano with a Powerhead or even Turkey Baster.

THINK about it. It's Bacteria. If you blow it off, where do it go? DOESN'T Leave your CLOSED SYSTEM Tank.
(Sure looks great for a day or two, but Cyano will most likely come back)...Why?
It's because the BLOWN Off Cyano Goes into Water Column, and all over your sump areas, pumps, filters. To possibly get more food to stay alive.

Detritus is different (pure particulate). It will still settle on rock and Tank bottom (where you can sweep it up after it collects)

I CAN'T TAKE CREDIT for this Whole IDEA, but I made a Great Idea Even Better.

The idea I read is using a WIDE 1/2" or 3/4" hose is great for a QUICK WATER CHANGE.
But for Siphoning off Ditritus or multiple small area patched of Cyano, the Siphon is too Fast. By the time you start it, bucket fills, so fast, you barely have any time to do your sweep work. Possibly start another bucket, but even then, maybe you want a smaller water change.

SO THE IDEA was to use a narrow flexible Hose, that Gives you MUCH MORE TIME to SWEEP YOUR CYANO (or bottom Detritus)

I took it a bit further, and added CASCADING, HOSE REDUCERs, and some Cut To 45 degree ends.

44339445870_b3e2a396e2_b.jpg

YOu don't have to buy dozen of feet of each hose. Just go to Hardware/Home Depot and buy 6 inch pieces from Made to Cut Section. Find hoses/tubes that fit one into the other nice and snug.

I don't have all the SECTIONS hooked up AT SAME TIME as in photo above.

It works like this.

-> Main THICKEST HOSE it attached to one or two reducers, and you start the Siphon into Bucket. (Work good since the THICKER hose has a HEAVY Water Sihphon in it so more power at the Thinner reducer)

** Start with REDUCERS attached to Main HOSE **

-> You can start with a Few cascading reducers, and after some sweeping, pull one short end off, to increase the Flow (for more suction power on the rock)

There is one other HOSE I USE with is WIRE LOOM (must not be split or no siphon)...Loom is super flexible, and so much that I add a Stick to have a guide to reach far spots.

WISH I COULD give Due Credit to the Guy who mentioned the Narrow Tube Trick.
Since it's a Great Idea, and gives me dozens of minutes to work on my Siphon Sweeping (on a single 5 Gallon Water Change) .
(can't remember where I read it a few years ago)

I have a 2 foot long rigid feeding tube I use to spot feed corals. It has a silicone nozzle at one end and a squeezer for suction on the other. It is probably 1/4-3/8” diameter. I use this to suck up stuff like detritus and Cyanobacteria right before a water change.

I do blow off the rocks too when it gets bad all over (like I did yesterday), but then I add filter pads right under the overflow slots in the back chambers of my AIO. Since I am cutting back all additives right now, it should give me a good idea if these practices worked. If I have Cyanobacteria all over by next weekend, I will know it was a fail.

Good idea on the reducers though. May have to try that.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 foot long rigid feeding tube I use to spot feed corals. It has a silicone nozzle at one end and a squeezer for suction on the other. It is probably 1/4-3/8” diameter. I use this to suck up stuff like detritus and Cyanobacteria right before a water change.

I do blow off the rocks too when it gets bad all over (like I did yesterday), but then I add filter pads right under the overflow slots in the back chambers of my AIO. Since I am cutting back all additives right now, it should give me a good idea if these practices worked. If I have Cyanobacteria all over by next weekend, I will know it was a fail.

Good idea on the reducers though. May have to try that.

Excellent @NY_Caveman
I guess your tool is like the Two Little Fishies Coral feeder (Syringe for Suck and Spit out). That would work too and infinite time for Cyano-Extraction.
You can take breaks too and come back later.
GOOD Idea, never thought of using my TwoLittleFishies feeder for Sihpon. I did in the past for blowing off Detritus..

I'm still against the Cyano blow of rock thing (just bad history), but we now have a two method experiment running (with some variables)

Approx same start time since I cleaned my Cyano yesterday.

-> You stopped the Aminos, I didn't....but I started CynaoClean.
-> I stopped the Vitamins, you also stopped Selcon Vitamins
-> I siphoned of all Cyano, you blew off Cyano

Hope both methods work, since it's not hoping one way works better then the other, we are both hoping to say Seeya-LATER Cyano in both our tanks.

BUT I bet if both of us stop the DARN ADDITIVES, we wouldn't need tools, we would just have to wait....And Cyano would go away on it's own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL READY for (POSSIBLE Fresh Water Dip) for Carriberryi Athias

I got all my stuff together. Everything was Cleaned, Rinsed and Dried.

Got two different Containers setup (with Heat, Aeration) and have other sub containers I may use for gentle Transfer and (Clear to look for Parasite fall off)

31218622757_17dfbebd84_c.jpg

Since I've never done Fresh Water Dip, I'm terrified. Don't laugh....I'll be fine next time.

Flakie would be Terrified too if he knew what's coming.....
But he's just relaxed, resting...AND NOT EATTING.

45434102254_834483bf80.jpg

He looks so healthy PHYSICALLY (skin)...I've see Horror movie Infected Fish.

Come on Buddy. Give me a sign. What do you want to eat? Can you eat?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent @NY_Caveman
I guess your tool is like the Two Little Fishies Coral feeder (Syringe for Suck and Spit out). That would work too and infinite time for Cyano-Extraction.
You can take breaks too and come back later.
GOOD Idea, never thought of using my TwoLittleFishies feeder for Sihpon. I did in the past for blowing off Detritus..

I'm still against the Cyano blow of rock thing (just bad history), but we now have a two method experiment running (with some variables)

Approx same start time since I cleaned my Cyano yesterday.

-> You stopped the Aminos, I didn't....but I started CynaoClean.
-> I stopped the Vitamins, you also stopped Selcon Vitamins
-> I siphoned of all Cyano, you blew off Cyano

Hope both methods work, since it's not hoping one way works better then the other, we are both hoping to say Seeya-LATER Cyano in both our tanks.

BUT I bet if both of us stop the DARN ADDITIVES, we wouldn't need tools, we would just have to wait....And Cyano would go away on it's own.

This is what I am thinking about aminos. The Coral Essentials seems very dense. I was adding one drop to my small 45 gallon AIO containing 35 gallons of saltwater. This drop would take time to dissipate. What if instead, I added five drops to my 5 gallon ATO reservoir? It would be far more diluted and add much slower than I can add with the single drop. I also considered just diluting the product outright.

I like the result I saw from the product a lot, i just speculate it is too much at that concentration.

My tank is young. I want to go slow. After I observe what happens over the next week or two, I may consider these options.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back