★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
31393998357_653fe53c4f_c.jpg

Some nice cheer there for sure.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the 3rd Frag I got.

Just a Cheap $20 Birdsnest, but it's different. Has White/Blue Tips.

I saw the colony and it really has contrast.

45610032444_3b0d8a126b_c.jpg

ALSO NOTICE. My Corals are Coloring up again, PE improving (after a downturn, while stopping everything to Kill Cyano)

Reason I got Daring with Coral-Additives/Food is Cyano Ending (with CyanoClean)....I Started Liquid OsterFeast and 1/2 Dose of Amino.

I actually just threw out 2 frags that looke pretty bad....and were not going to recover from the Nutrient Loss.
I had to do something, or lose more.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can do things like that.

My latest Anthias was fine, eating well, then one day just stopped eating and hid all day. He died. I hadn't noticed, but my flasher wrasse was so afraid of him he was hiding for almost a month. The wrasse was nearly dead, no meat on him at. Now that the Anthias is dead he's back out and eating again. He was hiding and eating before, but he was so hidden I couldn't tell he wasn't getting enough.

All that drama from adding one fish.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I SOLVE the (MAGMA WRASSE DEATH) CHOKING!!

So this Magma Wrasse death was certainly unusual, and I have been trying to find the cause.

Pardon the Graphic Image, but this is what he looked like when I removed him. (Different then usual MOUTH GAPING OPEN)

It the way he died that made me look for another reason other then being killed by the new Anthias.

- New Small Anthias don't just become DT killers (it's usually the established fish)
- The Anthias are all scared to death right now on day 1
- The Chromis lived with the Wrasse for couple months. Never even noticed him.
- The Chromis actually got ticked off with all new fish, but never killed any, bit any, just chases a bit.
- The Wrasse was eating very eagerly all the time (so didn't starve. and isn't paper thin)
- No bitten tail or fins
- No visible diseases on Wrasse.
- Was healthy as a horse yesterday.
- Most fish die going into seclusion as they get weak (he was very active and eating the day before...was actually getting along with one of the new Anthias)

As I mentioned, I was doing maintenance that morning on the unhealthy Frags. I pruned a few and move a couple around.
To do that I prepared putty, and Cyano glue to re-attach them.

- I was a bit sloppy and overly generous using the Cyano Glue (Some floated off trying to attach Frags)
- It actually caused my skimmer to go nuts for a couple of hours.

The Magma Wrasse floated out dead right after the maintenance (putty,Glue).
The Magma Wrasse floated out almost looking alive, but stunned/dead.

I THINK he may have gone for a broken piece of putty with Glue, or even possibly a glob of glue floating in tank.
It got stuck in his throat, and he couldn't cough it out.

I have the MAGMA Wrasse in the fridge, and my Daughter who just did Frog Disection in Grade 10 Biology is willing to cut him open to see if there is anything lodged in his throat.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BACK TO the (Beautiful "ATI PURPLE Plus T5 Bulb" ) Best Overall Appearance & POP

So it's been a short while that I removed the ATI Purple Plus Bulb , and traded it for a "ATI AquaBlue Special".

The ABS is a nice color mix, and ideal for Photography, but I really missed having the Red's from the PP bulb.

Always a risk to add too much RED SPECTRUM (algae), but with that ATS running VERY Well on the Upgraded LED GROW Panel (things should be fine).

Also the Purple Plus bulb is my 39W 3ft Dimmable, so I can reduce intensity and Blend with my other 6x 54 Watt (Blue Plus, and Coral Plus bulbs)

I like the new look, and it's quite a display when THE PURPLE PLUS BULB is on by itself.

46342572091_abd1caf08d_b.jpg

This is PURPLE PLUS just by itself. Tank actually looks like this to my eyes.
ZERO Photoshop adjustments.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOREST FIRE Digi ( Near Death to Recovery )
Why you sometimes don't give up on Hopelessly Damaged Corals

I almost threw this Frag in the Garbage....(It was so bad...Coraline was covering the Dead Skeleton)

45622910164_9b7dc22046_c.jpg

Doesn't Happen Every Time, but I'm Happy that I didn't give up so easily....

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LAST of the NEW FRAGs ( IceFire Enchinata II ) Trying Again to Keep A Favorite

The last IceFire I got, kept bleaching from the Bottom. I cut it so many times (to save it). At the end it was smaller than a grain of rice.

Trying One more time. The Ice Fire is probably my 2nd Favorite SPS. Strawberry Shortcake #1 from SPS I've seen in person.

45433880375_677716420b_c.jpg

This time, I put it lower Lighting Intensity Placement. (Medium)

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching from the bottom sounds like RTN. How long did you dip it? I killed off several of my smooth skin/deep water acros by dipping them in Revive for the same amount of time as I did other hardier acros. They don't withstand that dip as well. Now I use Bayer so it's not so much an issue.

That's a nice frag, BTW.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching from the bottom sounds like RTN. How long did you dip it? I killed off several of my smooth skin/deep water acros by dipping them in Revive for the same amount of time as I did other hardier acros. They don't withstand that dip as well. Now I use Bayer so it's not so much an issue.

That's a nice frag, BTW.
I will admit that I don't Dip Anymore. I have Revive and a un-opened 40 oz Bottle of Bayer (which is hard to get these days).

I lost too many sensitive Frags with Revive. Usually by distraction.
Started dip...Got a distraction(kids/wife). OVER DIPPED, time wise.
I do love the refreshing/clean SMELL of Revive :)

I would consider Bayer but must learn how to use it, and be careful about things like proper handling, spilling, cleanup/disposal (Stuff is harmful to health).

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Melafix! its my favorite dip by far -- I've used them all. It destroys worms like nothing else out there. I've had AEFW survive Bayer. The only problem is it's both extremely gentle, and caustic...

For 5-6 minutes, it's perfectly gentle, and all corals will be just fine after dipping and swishing around in some tank water before placing in tank. 10-15 minutes? Dead corals.

so if you're prone to distraction it's the last thing I'd recommend, but at the same time... It's the first thing I'd recommend for everybody.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit that I don't Dip Anymore.

That's going to eventually catch up with you, methinks.

Smells like a freshly Pine Sol mopped floor. I remember that smell from youth as that is what my Mom used to clean with.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit that I don't Dip Anymore. I have Revive and a un-opened 40 oz Bottle of Bayer (which is hard to get these days).

I lost too many sensitive Frags with Revive. Usually by distraction.
Started dip...Got a distraction(kids/wife). OVER DIPPED, time wise.

I would consider Bayer but must learn how to use it, and be careful about things like proper handling, spilling, cleanup/disposal (Stuff is harmful to health).

Wait Wally, you decided to start QTing and stop dipping? I am confounded. Not judging, just find it interesting. I dip, but do not QT, as you know. I do think part of the problem with my Montipora, beyond the light acclimation issue, was that I was distracted while dipping them.. Probably sat for 20 minutes in it. Ugh.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait Wally, you decided to start QTing and stop dipping? I am confounded. Not judging, just find it interesting. I dip, but do not QT, as you know. I do think part of the problem with my Montipora, beyond the light acclimation issue, was that I was distracted while dipping them.. Probably sat for 20 minutes in it. Ugh.

That is a long time to hold your breath, even for a monti.
When dipping, it is difficult to find the right moment to get them out of the liquid.
I always think, meh... one minute more.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't dip without having a digital timer on the counter. It doesn't take much for me to wander away from something, either.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HANG ON EVERYONE. ( I was INCORRECT stating I don't dip).....Let me explain.

Let me clarify since I overstated that I don't dip. Not entirely true, since as everyone knows I am meticulous with everything I do.

When I said I don't dip, it was just for thin, deep water acros, like "Red Dragons, PacMan" and only twice after close inspection, and I actually did QT on the Frags, with further inspection, cut off plugs,etc.

I always used a timer, that I have in my pocket, to ensure I dipped for under recommended period.
I then would rinse and put into a bucket of tank water, and dip a 2nd time one day later.

I didn't dip my a Red Dragon on 2nd Attempt only one time after the first distraction since the Dip killed it overnight, in Coral QT.

I use my Fish QT tank, and run it using DT water and QT my Frags in the 10 Gallon Tank. (No fancy filtration setup, just heater)

Sorry for letting everyone think I don't dip ever, or I won't don't dip anymore.

I like the idea Rakie says, to use Melafix. Possiby Bayer on 2nd dip, and even continue with Revive which I have successfully used for years (except once on a Red Dragon)....... Staggered dips (multi-products). Frag doesn't go into DT, till a brief QT and Observation is done.

One thing for sure, I would never NOT DIP an ACRO, since it could have AEFW on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 minutes, it a lot. I killed my Red Dragon after a planned 5 minute dip that went 10 minutes overtime. So 15 minute total.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 minutes, it a lot. I killed my Red Dragon after a planned 5 minute dip that went 10 minutes overtime. So 15 minute total.

Yeah. I know. And I always set timers too. The shipment came a few hours late, long story. Just dumb all around.

Last edited:

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE

One thing for sure, I would never NOT DIP an ACRO, since it could have AEFW on it.[/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]
But Wally - Red dragon /ice fire / pacman are All Acropora. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that you should not be dipping expensive hard to keep frags to maximize success - it will be more costly long term if you introduce red bugs or AEFW

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back