★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally, two things about sandy wrasses!

1) You can give them a little sand box in the back of the tank to sleep in, hidden behind the rocks..

2) I would ask @evolved what he thinks -- I've been told wrasse that require sand get on just fine without it, and that they learn how to sleep in the rockwork.. He would know more than I.

No sand. Not even a little bit. Two reasons.

I still wake up in Cold Sweat Flashbacks, when I had that Diamond Watch Goby. He would scoop up sand in his mouth, swim to the top, and spread it around my SPS corals like CUP Montis. Over and over again.

2nd reason is I want (no risk on scratching new Tank Glass). Especially with the SOFTER Starphire Glass I have, two Viewing sides. When I play with Circulation an crank it up, it might spread around....make a mess, get into Magnetic Glass Cleaner.

Plenty of fish to choose that don't need Sand. I will check on what kind of Wrasse's are possible.

I Also may never get more fish after last 6 in QT go in.
Things are so peaceful.....I've never EVER seen this kind of peaceful swimming, in my tanks.

Even the Black Capped Basslet is out 95% of the time.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could always grab something like a six-line and hope he's not a jerk! OR, give them a hidey rock hole and let them adjust. Either way, lots of options for that last fish.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could always grab something like a six-line and hope he's not a jerk! OR, give them a hidey rock hole and let them adjust. Either way, lots of options for that last fish.
I have dozens of "Hidey Holes". When doing Rock work, I drilled a bunch of extras.
But not a Six-Line. I've heard horror stories. One guy told me his zipped over to another Bigger fish and plucked out his eye since he was losing the Size Category Fight. Maybe your story?

This tank is only for nice, fish. They are really getting along.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other great options are a Possum wrasse or a Pink Streaked Wrasse. They're super docile.
Possum Wrasse looks interesting. Very different.

Too early right now but keep throwing out ideas for Docile Fish over next 20 days left in QT.

I started the Aniti-bio med for the Carberrryies. And next will be the Angels. Both will get Copper Safe too.

While treatment is running, i can add fish to either QT. They just come out later.

Then I want to shut down all QT's and get back my Frag tank for Frags.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I'm honestly having a lot of fun just reading the discussion on sps in this thread. As someone taking his first steps into acro, keep up the good work!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! I'm honestly having a lot of fun just reading the discussion on sps in this thread. As someone taking his first steps into acro, keep up the good work!
Welcome Byronyk,

If SPS is your interest, then you joined just in time.

I just put my first TWO SPS into the DT. (One Pacman Acro and one Miyagi )

Since this Tank Setup is Virgin, I'm starting on a Mini-Frag Rack (At the Back), and placed on Bottom. PARS are 225 At Peak Lighting.

41880065594_8b266e512b.jpg

I can Watch them them from the Front of the Tank. (I need to watch those Racks are know to flip over)

41880062344_1ec83bef27_z.jpg

Just Temporary .....I'll move them to a rock in proper location, after some initial observations.

Looking forward to Tonight, when Actinic Lighting comes on.

That will be the First Florescent Glow in this.
Tank.

SPS Life Has begun...The Genisis machine has activated.

MAY THEY LIVE LONG.....AND PROSPER....(I mean Grow)

Last edited:

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish myself A HAPPY 2 hour Anniversary. SPS still alive.

Next SPS update 1 Day OLD. Will they make it? In past...... some like A Red Dragon, bleached the next morning.

Go Frags Go... don’t disappoint Papa!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Frags Go... don’t disappoint Papa!
The kids are doing fine.

And chance for the Carberryi Anthias is better. One was looking a bit pale, and sleeps in the Spongebob house, while the rest sleep in the RockCave...but he does have a tunnel thru the Grass Patch to the Cave. (It could be the Newbie that I transfer over, and he is separate right now).

So I started the Copper Safe / Nitrafurazone Treatment.
I didn't go with the Furan-2, since I got some pure Pharmaceutical Nitra... It's the Med that is in Furan-2 (but Better, if dosed very accurately).

27740361817_f4e0a579a9_o.jpg

Funky looking Yellow Tank Eh?

Unlike Cupramine, CopperSafe doesn't make water this Yellow. Nitrafurazone does.

Next I'll be treating the Angel Pair.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YIKES (Phosphate Level 0.86 in Kitchen Tank) After Months of limited Maintenance (ie. NEGLECT)

I did water changes, every other month during the New Tank Build, and cleaned skimmer only when I noticed it full of paste.

I did check ALK and Calcium Levels, but Never Phosphate since that tank never had Phosphate issues.

What motivated me to check TODAY is my Torch Was Receding, and my Frogspawn not as full. Even Richordias not that happy.

SO Today's Test .....I knew right away things were going to be bad since the Hanna Egg Tester VIAL turn REALLY BLUE

P04=0.86 (Never had that kind of reading EVER)

• I did a OverDue 20% Water change,
  • threw in a Bag of ChemiPure,
  • and added a Two Little Fishies Reactor loaded with Fresh Seachem Phosguard. (I used to use GFO but this stuff appears better. You can get more flow thru it). Not concerned so much with quick PO4 Drop since NO SPS Corals.

Back to the New tank.....Things should spring back since that Kitchen Tank is quite forgivable.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The New MASSTICK (Feeder Stick) Copperband and BLACK CAPP BASSLET

I may be beating the Masstick/Feeder thing to death, but it's really important when you have a finicky eating fish like a Copperband.

Here is a Video of the new DIY Feeder. Works better than the Shell trick.

Both Copperband Butterfly & ** NOW Black Cap Basslet ** enjoy it.

P.S. Frags are doing well, but one of the Anthias that was withdrawn looks a bit pale, and I think I see a red blemish (At least I started double treatment to protect the other 3....nothing more I can do)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.86 isn't that bad. Several of the renown SPS keepers kept theirs significantly higher for years (Sanjay, Richard Ross, etc etc). And the tank is question is a non-coral only tank, so no worries !

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.86 isn't that bad. Several of the renown SPS keepers kept theirs significantly higher for years (Sanjay, Richard Ross, etc etc). And the tank is question is a non-coral only tank, so no worries !
Still the tank need a tune up. T5 need change, pumps are filthy, etc

But you crack me up with your "non coral" thing. I know SPS are the real challenge and that is what draws me to this next attempt/challenge. But a tank full of select NON-corals will impress A NON-REEFER way more than than sps CORALS.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know those people don't matter ;)

Rakie,
Funny :) Very Funny :) LOL

But since we are on the Topic of CORALS(sps) and NON-CORALS(all other corals) as you label them, there is a hypocrisy in that kind of Reefer Mentality.

SPS folks, take Zoom Photo's up to 1000x magnification and oogle about how beautify the Stem with Polys Look like. I'm one of those too.

A LPS Polyp can be viewed in glowing, flowing, sparkle from 15 feet away with the human eye. Zoa's are kind of in between to see their colorful artwork.

Perhaps, I've never had a painfully, meticulously grown SPS tank with Mature Colonies. We may appreciate the effort and achievement more then the result.
It would be spectacular to have a Fully Loaded CORAL-only Tank.

Like Matt's (Reefmutt's) tank at now at mid stage. I can't imagine what that must look like in person. Especially under actinic/Led lighting.

Thus my goal, and target for this Tank ( A bunch of multi-colored rigid sticks)

Hope it happens someday.

Onward.

And one last comment. These Reefers (Coral and Non-Coral Lovers), see one of God most Greatest Life Forms growing in their Tanks (ALGAE), and they Freak out with Horror and rip the stuff out.
We are weird eh?

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I just say that to mess with my buddies who like LPS. There's plenty of nice non-corals out there.

Nice solid acros that are simple one or two colors can really shine -- when both of those color are highly florescent, they outcolor the fanciest of Acros.

Here's a good example of what you're talking about, this is one of my favorite multi-tone acros; Z's Paradise
20171018-DSC02005_zpsc3qmunrr.jpg

Heres one of my favorite simple acros; Heaven and Hell mili
newacropora2052.jpg~original

No doubt Z's paradise has more colors going on... But this two tone milli pops from head to toe. That's the difference between, say, a green slimer (that pops) versus a standard greed dud that doesn't pop.

But in the end, all that matters is if you truly love your lobo, it will love you back

8-9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP the Anthias DIED!!!

The one that looked pale as was not part of the 3some pack. Stopped eating today.

He was already ill looking before I started Treatment.

Really, REALLY hoping the treatment saves the Last Three.
Even a Threesome, 2 female, 1 male (transition) would be nice.

If one more dies, I have other API MEDS that I can try as a last resort, but don't want to mix Meds at this point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back