★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MANDARIN (KILLING SUMP DT) FIXED

Obviously I'm still upset about Killing my Mandarin of Years.

Thinking about using the In-Sump-DT for a mini Tank. Not sure what will be inside, but whatever goes in. STAYS IN. And if it jumps...STAY ALIVE in Return-Pump Section.
2019-01-09_SumpDt-Fix.jpg

The substrate/SandBottom in the Sump/DT/Refuge needs something to keep it clean (I dare not stir it at this point)

I'm thinking Sand Sifting Starfish, or a Watchman Goby.

And either a few small fish, or a PAIR OF MADARINS after filling the mini-DT with more Live-Rock-Work (since I still want to keep my Copepod Farm running)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bored with my TANKS....WHICH IS DANGEROUS.

Thought of adding stuff to the Refuge DT. Had a CONCH bagged, but then thought. NOTHING NEW for now. No changes!!!

SPS are doing FINE. CYANO GONE.

So why not look at Snail Paced Growth in Photos.

2019-01-10_SalmonMontiGrowth.jpg

And a FIRST Closeup PHOTO of the New Strawberry Shortcake

2019-01-10_SSC.jpg

I killed the Last one.

Today I noticed the Newbie Show some PE. Something I never got from last SSC.

If I can keep this guy alive, then I can keep anything alive in my DT since they are as sensitive as a SPS you can get.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New FRAGS ( These have Future Potential ) Not Super Slow Growers

I do have some Nice Frags in DT, but the best ones are The SUPER SLOW Growing kind.

So I went on a hunt for some Medium Fast Growing SPS.

31779680477_9d8459d355_b.jpg

1) Habanero - Shockaholic
2) Aussie Voilet Tenuis
3) Blue Cali Tort
4) Validia
5) RR Papi Chulo
6) RR Wakatobi

Photo taken Fresh from bags, and just glued on plugs, so they will color up a bit more when Contrasting PE shows up.

Thanks to @tenurepro for #1, #3, #4 from his great SPS collection.

Was going to put them in the Frag Tank, but a few will be Flipped with DT Frags. (Unlesss somehow I can fit them all in) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice collection you are building here!
Yes, thanks to your contribution.

I am thinking I better start for Long Term. Things are too tight in DT, and I don't trust the Frag Tank at this point (Based on results so far).

Running a frag tank without doser, and without constant monitoring similar to DT, and without similar nutrient levels (with Fish) may not work as well. Or may NOT work at all.

So I need a long term Frag Tank solution. which will be Plumb Frag tank into DT.
THAT is a big undertaking with my current shelving and equipment layout.

So going to start planning/design for that. A Many month project.
PERFECT WAY TO Relive Boredom for the Frag Growth Wait. and Also way to stop me from Messing up my STABLE DT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a New Collectables Hobby ( I just Over DID it ) 6 New FRAGS Mounted in DT

Well now my (DT) is Officially a (SPS Collectables Frag Tank),
and no longer what I would consider a respectable DT for someone with Years of Experience...who built a nicely laid out (Properly Spaced Out) LPS TANK.

Sure it looks like a Amazing Multi-Colored Dream Coat since I now have every color in the Rainbow in there.

I took a FTS Photo in Full Lighting, but won't show it..... till I build a Proper Separate Frag Tank, and tidy things up.

I'm actually now ashamed of myself.

Here is what it looks like (as far as I'm willing to show for now)

2019-01-13_110G-SPS-New6Mounted-ShadowShot.jpg

Those new frags are spectacular looking under Tank Lighting....

TANK in General is Very Pretty, but a not a well laid out piece of Reef Art Work.

THE ONLY GOOD NEWS.....is....NOW I WANT the SPS to GROW SLOW :) or I will be in big trouble!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS FRAGS ...... TOP SHOTS (Best Photo's)

No full tank shots for a while, but individual Frag Photo's needed for future compares.....

All Photos taken with the White LED Video Camera Light and my DIY Portal.

31795118717_c7320dd91e_c.jpg

46683730582_1e362cd5ea_c.jpg

46011702704_bc50eca04c_c.jpg

46683731022_b871fb51b7_c.jpg

46011701564_8bd4ff0df0_c.jpg

46011700914_4451b2c5cc_c.jpg

46011701954_c8ea4e5e3d_c.jpg

31795119807_cd6dfa674b_c.jpg

46011703114_2a3e721294_c.jpg

31795121267_8837eafdcf_c.jpg

Wish I could rotate my Tank Sideways....They don't Look as good from Front Viewing.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous pictures Wally!!!
Something good is happening in the tank!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous pictures Wally!!!
Something good is happening in the tank!
Very nice!
Thanks @Janci @NY_Caveman,

It Goes to show that "PATIENCE" and "HANDS OUT of TANK" to achieve STABILITY....two of my Past Greatest Flaws does make a BIG DIFFERENCE.

Not out of the woods yet, since I have learned that Tanks Fight us to self destruct, either accidentally, or by struggle to achieve balance.

I'm going to raise the T5 Light fixture, and get some more reference photo's of the Frag's that I couldn't Photo properly. That LED Video Camera Flood light is the best.

Everything looks great.....Keeping my fingers crossed, and out of tank.

Absolutely....No changes!!! to my Current Methodology/Light/Flow Setting, since the formula is working, and no need to make things Better.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIRST (GROWTH LESSON) Watched in HORRROR!! ( Responded Fast and All OK ) ELECTRIC MIYAGI FALL

I guess the time has come..... Never expected this, but a good lesson learned for the Future.

I DID NOT TOUCH ANYTHING last night, or put more then my Camera lense into tank.....

This is my Majayi (last MONTH) that is the Oldest Frag I have, and most grown up.

39777477553_fd84e796a8.jpg

IT was one of 4 FIRST Frags going into this NEW TANK back 6 Months ago.
Given as a new Tank Gift by the Generous @tenurepro

46743173631_c2d811cc02.jpg

They were NEW TANK sacrifices....and two never made it....

This Morning....
When Lights came on, I noticed in horror that the Miyagi dislodged from it's glued spot and it was tethering on the edge of the Rock Cliff.

46018040654_0f36781c6b.jpg

If it fit and fell into that Crevice, WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE to Retrieve without Taking RockScape Apart. So IMPOSSIBLE!!

Right away I turned off circulation, so it wouldn't fall.

Carefully remove it, and got some putty and Glue, and mounted it back, Same Spot...but in better position and firmly Puttied down.

All good now. Actually better since more room to spread out and slightly more upright.

39777477123_9e4bec2e90_c.jpg

Lesson learned, is Frags on Plugs need to be glued better, and as the Frags get bigger, I need to check mounting firmness (Weight and Flow tug at them more).

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIRST (GROWTH LESSON) Watched in HORRROR!! ( Responded Fast and All OK ) ELECTRIC MIYAGI FALL

I guess the time has come..... Never expected this, but a good lesson learned for the Future.

I DID NOT TOUCH ANYTHING last night, or put more then my Camera lense into tank.....

This is my Majayi (last MONTH) that is the Oldest Frag I have, and most grown up.

This Morning....
When Lights came on, I noticed in horror that the Miyagi dislodged from it's glued spot and it was tethering on the edge of the Rock Cliff.

If it fit and fell into that Crevice, WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE to Retrieve without Taking RockScape Apart. So IMPOSSIBLE!!

Carefully remove it, and got some putty and Glue, and mounted it back, Same Spot...but in better position and firmly Puttied down.

All good now. Actually better since more room to spread out and slightly more upright.

Lesson learned, is Frags on Plugs need to be glued better, and as the Frags get bigger, I need to check mounting firmness (Weight and Flow tug at them more).

You sure it was not snails or something bulldozing it? Not that it matters really. Nice save for a beautiful piece.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Snail, but I don't have any powerful Turbos.

It could also be the first frags were not glued down properly in haste, and I hear that glue/putty doesn't last forever for bonding. Things work better when SPS frags encrust to rock.

However with my overcrowding I will be watching in advance before entrusting happens for minor placement adjustments for the final layout.

Either way next time a Snail wants to get by the Miyagi he will have to go around.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS FRAGS ...... TOP SHOTS (Best Photo's)

No full tank shots for a while, but individual Frag Photo's needed for future compares.....

All Photos taken with the White LED Video Camera Light and my DIY Portal.

31795118717_c7320dd91e_c.jpg

46683730582_1e362cd5ea_c.jpg

46011702704_bc50eca04c_c.jpg

46683731022_b871fb51b7_c.jpg

46011701564_8bd4ff0df0_c.jpg

46011700914_4451b2c5cc_c.jpg

46011701954_c8ea4e5e3d_c.jpg

31795119807_cd6dfa674b_c.jpg

46011703114_2a3e721294_c.jpg

31795121267_8837eafdcf_c.jpg

Wish I could rotate my Tank Sideways....They don't Look as good from Front Viewing.

Some really nice colors here Wally! I am going to want to get some frags from you when things grow out!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really nice colors here Wally! I am going to want to get some frags from you when things grow out!
For sure!!! I owe you something nice from my Tank. (after all the nice Premium SPS I got from you).

IF THEY GROW OUT & Keep Colors. Hoping they do since things are in the right direction.

But there are alternatives if you want COLOR.

I was at Big Als Fish store, and saw this tank of fish.

2019-01-14_GlowFish.jpg

From a DISTANCE.......I thought is was one of those FUNKY ALL PLASTIC "blacklight" Display Tanks with floating Neon Plastic Jellyfish/Fish.

But as I got closer, I realized they were real fish.

I heard about GLOFISH from a friend, but this was the first Time I saw them in Person.

See for yourself. I TOOK A VIDEO..... (REAL!!)

I remember decades ago there were these Fresh Water Fish, with Bellies full of Phosphorescent (whatever).

But these GLOFISH fish are actually genetically modified to Have These Colors.

Kind of COOL!! But not for me. Too Tacky.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This Morning....

Nice save.
With now the putty put that professionally, I doubt a snail will now be able to make a come back to throw it off the rocks. LOL

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure!!! I owe you something nice from my Tank. (after all the nice Premium SPS I got from you).

IF THEY GROW OUT & Keep Colors. Hoping they do since things are in the right direction.

But there are alternatives if you want COLOR.

I was at Big Als Fish store, and saw this tank of fish.

2019-01-14_GlowFish.jpg

From a DISTANCE.......I thought is was one of those FUNKY ALL PLASTIC "blacklight" Display Tanks with floating Neon Plastic Jellyfish/Fish.

But as I got closer, I realized they were real fish.

I heard about GLOFISH from a friend, but this was the first Time I saw them in Person.

See for yourself. I TOOK A VIDEO..... (REAL!!)

I remember decades ago there were these Fresh Water Fish, with Bellies full of Phosphorescent (whatever).

But these GLOFISH fish are actually genetically modified to Have These Colors.

Kind of COOL!! But not for me. Too Tacky.

They used to inject dye into the mass pet store Glo Fish. After a short while the dye would fade and people would be left with transparent glass fish. There was a big debate in the freshwater hobby about the ethics of this.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton ICP Test Results (Came Back)
All Good after 1 Week WC and Running Algae Scrubber
(Trace Elements fine) [ Salifert K test is OFF ]

So this is very interesting and Glad I did the ICP Test.

SUMMARY:

-> My Algae Scrubber, running FULL TILT on making Macro had no Impact on Lowering Trace Elements (1 Week after Water change)
-----------> This means I can Scrub All I want with my Current Weekly Water change and no worries about adding anything.

-> ALSO I know my Tropic Marin PRO Salt is Good Salt to Use (along with the Few Additives I drop in Like Fuel, CE Gro/Amino)

HEAVY METALS (Toxic):
-> The Very Slightly High Aluminum is expected since I was using Aluminum Based PhosGuard.
-> Not sure where the tiny Copper/Tin comes from (Magnets, Rusty Clamps?), but I just threw in some CurpriSorb that will polish the water clean
-> I did a check on my Fuel Additive and it does contain Very Low Level of TIN (could that be the cause of the spike)

-> My Iodine Levels are slightly low, and that can be something I can look at for dosing.
-> My IRON is fine [slightly high]......... (I though it might be LOW and was considering additive to increase.....Now I don't need to at ALL :) )
---------> Wonder what is increasing Iron (Maybe Fuel, or Some Contaminator)

K (Postassium):
-> My best learning from this is my Multiple Salifert Tests showed Low K=380, but Triton test came back K=413 (high) and I actually have been testing a lot, and adding KCL to get to 400
-------> I am probably very off now (TOO HIGH)....but nothing Critical.
-------> I NO LONGER can Trust my K SALIFERT KIT! (not expired)...Will try Red Sea Kit

(Phosphate):
-> Yup, I am on the high side (WHO CARES)
---------> I did start AquaForest BioS-Pro and -NPpro (that will drop N&P slowly over time).

46732260252_ff95a1b8ee_o.jpg

CONCLUSION: (Changes to apply):

-> Continue running with Tropic Marin PRO salt (all trace elements doing good)

-> Continue running Algae Scrubber (Full Tilt..No TraceElement Stripping proven), Good for keeping Nuisance Algae out of DT. (probably helps with N&P)

->
STOP ADDITING FUEL since Water Changes are good enough, and Algae Scrubber is NOT Stripping off Elements. Fuel could be adding Tin/Copper

-> Never use PhosGuard ever again (Possible Aluminum), and no need to control P with it.

-> Add CurpriSorb (on/off) every week or so for a day or two (Copper and Heavy metal Polish)

-> Look into but not necessary (Iodine) additive

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back