125 gallon reef tank build, looking for advice and pointers for success.

Colin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am new to the forums but have been keeping reef tanks/fowlr tanks for the past five years. I recently picked up a 125 gallon tank that was brand new from craigslist for $100 dollars so that was too good of a deal to pass up. So, since I have picked up this tank, I was looking to see what everyone thought of my current plans for setting it up, plans are as follows:
  • 125 gallon display tank
  • 75 gallon sump/refugium
  • currently I have about 20lb of live rock, and about an additional 70 lb of base rock from my 75 gallon FO set up. So 90lb total, thinking another 30ish pounds? I like open areas for fish to swim
  • Thinking mixed reef for the coral selection
  • I want to keep active fish so the tank seems fuller than it actually is.
  • Triton method would be the goal for this set up, hopefully a 75 gallon sump is large enough to achieve this.
Feedback on those things would be appreciated as that is what I have kind of set my mind on as for now, and would like to see what people think of it and see if it is in fact something that someone could achieve.
Some other things that I would need to consider but do not know where to start are:
  • Lighting, I have run Kessil pendant lighting in my tanks and I have run t5ho on my tanks, I really like the kessil lighting but I dont know how practical it is to use these lights on a 125 gallon due to the length. My current thoughts would be metal halides (maybe, I know these get hot, but I live in ND and this would be in the lower level of my house), with some retrofit t5ho bulbs put in, along with some moonlight led lights for the night time effect.
  • Stand, the aquarium that I had picked up did not come with a stand unfortunately, but it was 100 dollars and it still has the box and stickers on it so it is brand new. What would be the best design for a stand, I want one that is tall enough and deep enough for my sump (75 gallon) to fit underneath. Also I would like to build it so the height of this aquarium is right around 36 to 40" off the ground. This being said what are some stand designs that other people have had success with.
  • Overflow, I would like to drill this tank, but I really do not want to mess it up, so how effective are the hang on back overflows that I see on the internet for sale. Are they effective, I have seen a lot about them siphoning too much water into the sump if the power goes out. So what would be the recommendation to drill or not to drill?
Sorry for the long post, just excited to have something other than a biocube in a long time.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the site mang!
1. kessils are fine but you have to be realistic with the area they cover and add the appropriate number. bigger tanks use bigger/more equipment!
2. diy a stand! it's easy and allows you to customize it however you see fit. i used this guys plans which are pretty much the same plans that everyone uses because it works and is tough.

3. i have never used an overflow that wasn't built onto my tank so you'll have to find that one from someone else with experience that way.
for next time, you're probably better off separating your questions and asking them individually if you want more response.
best of luck!

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can chime in on the lighting for you. I have no woodworking skills to help you out though. I highly recommend drilling the tank, but definitely do your research first to make sure it is not tempered and you have the correct tools.

I used three Kessil 360WE on my 72 x 24 x21 tank for about 8 months and was able to keep SPS with average growth and color. I had to be strategic with where I put the SPS coral though. I added four T5 retrofits and got better growth and color after that. You can always start with the Kessils (assuming they are the 360 and not the 160) and add T5 later if you want to save some money on lighting for now. Here is a link to my tank thread before all the Kessil haters come in and tell you to spend $3k on Radions. They are effective lights if used correctly.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bigjims-155-tank-thread.257840/

OP
OP
Colin B

Colin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can chime in on the lighting for you. I have no woodworking skills to help you out though. I highly recommend drilling the tank, but definitely do your research first to make sure it is not tempered and you have the correct tools.

I used three Kessil 360WE on my 72 x 24 x21 tank for about 8 months and was able to keep SPS with average growth and color. I had to be strategic with where I put the SPS coral though. I added four T5 retrofits and got better growth and color after that. You can always start with the Kessils (assuming they are the 360 and not the 160) and add T5 later if you want to save some money on lighting for now. Here is a link to my tank thread before all the Kessil haters come in and tell you to spend $3k on Radions. They are effective lights if used correctly.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bigjims-155-tank-thread.257840/
Thanks for sharing your tank and success you've had with the lighting, gorgeous tank by the way, soo soo clean and great colors, along with some nice looking fish.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your tank and success you've had with the lighting, gorgeous tank by the way, soo soo clean and great colors, along with some nice looking fish.

Thanks. It has gone through its ups and downs like most tanks. I just don't take pictures of the ugly days. lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back