13 gallon nano light, HELP??

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!
Would like to start getting into growing corals (tbd on what exactly I want) in my aquatop 13 gallon nano tank, dimensions: 16x16x12. I'm in the beginning stages of my first diatom outbreak, tank has been set up since the first week of April.
Would an AI Prime HD or RedSea ReefLED 50 be too strong for this tank? Would maybe lean more towards the RedSea because I don't want to tinker too much with the light specifications.
Many thanks in advance! :)
-Chase

fish.jpg

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honest;y get ai prime out of those two. overall better light and you can look for lighting schedules and settings online so you dont have to play around too much. And also try to figure out what coral route you want to go. Depending on what coral you may not even need one of these lights

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply!
I think since I am a newbie, I'll probably go the route of soft corals. I do, however, REALLY want to have a rock flower anemone, my LFS has some and I scope them out every time I go in, maybe that should be in a bigger tank at a different time.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply!
I think since I am a newbie, I'll probably go the route of soft corals. I do, however, REALLY want to have a rock flower anemone, my LFS has some and I scope them out every time I go in, maybe that should be in a bigger tank at a different time.
Oh nice. tbh if you are trying to save money and dont mind manually turning on a light the kessil a80 is a good light with enough power for softies and rock flower anenome. I run it over a nano lps and rock flower anenome tank.

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice. tbh if you are trying to save money and dont mind manually turning on a light the kessil a80 is a good light with enough power for softies and rock flower anenome. I run it over a nano lps and rock flower anenome tank.
Epic! That light was in consideration too, I was just concerned that it might not be strong enough to illuminate my whole tank.
Drop a picture of your nano??

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this AQUA KNIGHT A029 on my 6g Pico. Love the timers and the shimmer effect from this little LED
Make sure you get the 2nd generation, has more functions and better mount bracket than original.
1652997051135.png

HIPARGERO Aquarium Light–2nd Generation A029
Aquarium LED Lights, 30Watt Saltwater Light with Touch Control, Sunrise / Sunset (30min), TIMER and Self-test Function for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank

New Features in 2nd Generation A029 (sell after 2022.1.10)
Self-test Function When AC Plug On
--2nd Generation A029 has CPU inside, CPU will do self-test when AC power on. It will test control circuit and LED circuit fan etc. During self-test, the blue and white channel LEDs will fade on and fade off quickly within 10s. So it is normal that led flash one by one after AC plug on.
Build-in Timer -- 2nd Generation A029 support Timer. It can set 8 working Hours /10Hours / 12Hours /14Hours /24Hours per day. Touch the timer and can change the working hours. Please note that timer starts when AC plug on. The three indicators will show working hours.
Sunrise/Sunset support --2nd Generation A029 has Sunrise / Sunset functions. After customer setting working hours and brightness of channels, A029 will do sunrise. It will be weak and change brighter and brighter like run rise. Please note that the timer starts when AC plug on and the sunrise time will also start at the same time. So it will very weak at start, please wait 30min. A029 brightness will be setting brightness after sunrise. The lamp will run sunset function before turning off. Sunrise and Sunset period is 30minutes.
Intelligent Fan Control-- 2nd Generation A029 can control fan on/off. Fan turns off when LED is off.
New Wider Rack-- updated rack clamp is wider and it can support Rimmed tank and Rimless tank.

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this AQUA KNIGHT A029 on my 6g Pico. Love the timers and the shimmer effect from this little LED
Make sure you get the 2nd generation, has more functions and better mount bracket than original.
1652997051135.png

HIPARGERO Aquarium Light–2nd Generation A029
Aquarium LED Lights, 30Watt Saltwater Light with Touch Control, Sunrise / Sunset (30min), TIMER and Self-test Function for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank

New Features in 2nd Generation A029 (sell after 2022.1.10)
Self-test Function When AC Plug On
--2nd Generation A029 has CPU inside, CPU will do self-test when AC power on. It will test control circuit and LED circuit fan etc. During self-test, the blue and white channel LEDs will fade on and fade off quickly within 10s. So it is normal that led flash one by one after AC plug on.
Build-in Timer -- 2nd Generation A029 support Timer. It can set 8 working Hours /10Hours / 12Hours /14Hours /24Hours per day. Touch the timer and can change the working hours. Please note that timer starts when AC plug on. The three indicators will show working hours.
Sunrise/Sunset support --2nd Generation A029 has Sunrise / Sunset functions. After customer setting working hours and brightness of channels, A029 will do sunrise. It will be weak and change brighter and brighter like run rise. Please note that the timer starts when AC plug on and the sunrise time will also start at the same time. So it will very weak at start, please wait 30min. A029 brightness will be setting brightness after sunrise. The lamp will run sunset function before turning off. Sunrise and Sunset period is 30minutes.
Intelligent Fan Control-- 2nd Generation A029 can control fan on/off. Fan turns off when LED is off.
New Wider Rack-- updated rack clamp is wider and it can support Rimmed tank and Rimless tank.
I went with your suggestion and got the aquaknight after reading a LOT of positive reviews, and it looks GREAT on my tank. I currently have blue at 100% and white at 60%, you think that is too much? It is a little blue for me, but as long as future corals will be happy, I'm happy.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say its turned up a little too high. If you go to youtube and good AquaKnight par there is a dude who does a video with his settings and par numbers. I believe on either a Biocube or a IM10 I can't remember.

Edit:I found it

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh cool, thanks!
I turned them down by 20% (now blue = 80% white = 40%) and it looks much more tame to the eye. I guess I won't know for sure until I get some corals in here and see how they do.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running same 20% setting myself. Any more especially whites caused algae and diatom bloom. Plus under higher blues the coral colors just POP.
Steve beat me to the Youtube, would of also suggested it. One of the reasons I picked the light for the Pico.
Happy Reefing :)

OP
OP
DrummerWithFish111

DrummerWithFish111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running same 20% setting myself. Any more especially whites caused algae and diatom bloom. Plus under higher blues the coral colors just POP.
Steve beat me to the Youtube, would of also suggested it. One of the reasons I picked the light for the Pico.
Okay, 20% white 80% blue! I notice the diatoms in my dank are loving it, I've had the light off for a few days in hopes that they would go away (initial diatom bloom), I've had the light on for four hours and they are throwing oxygen bubbles around like mad.

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this thread is a little over a year old do you guys still have this light running? How’s it doing?

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have this light running? How’s it doing for you? Looking for a budget light for a nuvo 10 gal.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!
Would like to start getting into growing corals (tbd on what exactly I want) in my aquatop 13 gallon nano tank, dimensions: 16x16x12. I'm in the beginning stages of my first diatom outbreak, tank has been set up since the first week of April.
Would an AI Prime HD or RedSea ReefLED 50 be too strong for this tank? Would maybe lean more towards the RedSea because I don't want to tinker too much with the light specifications.
Many thanks in advance! :)
-Chase

fish.jpg

I went with the Red Sea 50 on this exact tank. No complaints.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back