180 gallon stocking ideas. Will ghost ribbion eel fit in?

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to plan my 180 predator tank and am looking for some cohabitation advice. My list right now is:
- 2 sapphire damsels
- blue tang
- purple tang
- chocolate tang
- 2 line monocle bream
- banana spine check
- snowflake eel
- banded moray
- ghost ribbion eel
- any kind or stingray that will fit
- epullete shark
- bamboo shark
- horn shark
I’m looking for advice on what to eliminate off the list immediately and I need to know how a ghost eel will do in this environment if it doesn’t fit in no worries and I am prepared to switch out the sharks every year or two if/ when they get too big.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ghost ribbons are thicker bodied than the rhinomuraena quaesita.
I don't know much about rays and sharks. The other fish shouldn't hurt the ghost. However, if the ribbon can catch the damsels, they could get killed. I've read a few posts on ribbons killing tangs.
Honestly, my fish never had an issue. Injured fish are done for.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost ribbons are thicker bodied than the rhinomuraena quaesita.
I don't know much about rays and sharks. The other fish shouldn't hurt the ghost. However, if the ribbon can catch the damsels, they could get killed. I've read a few posts on ribbons killing tangs.
Honestly, my fish never had an issue. Injured fish are done for.
I’m not worried about the damsels as I have the ribbion with the damsels that I plan on putting in the 180 gallon as well as the tangs that I listed here

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to plan my 180 predator tank and am looking for some cohabitation advice. My list right now is:
- 2 sapphire damsels
- blue tang
- purple tang
- chocolate tang
- 2 line monocle bream
- banana spine check
- snowflake eel
- banded moray
- ghost ribbion eel
- any kind or stingray that will fit
- epullete shark
- bamboo shark
- horn shark
I’m looking for advice on what to eliminate off the list immediately and I need to know how a ghost eel will do in this environment if it doesn’t fit in no worries and I am prepared to switch out the sharks every year or two if/ when they get too big.
sharks are big no no in a 180. I would also steer you away from rays. Once you get rock in there, account for rapid growth, they will not have the swimming room needed. @dantimdad can shed some more light on this, as he has owned numerous sharks/rays.

Another thing to think of is bioload vs amount of water. With eels and tangs, you will need to export very heavily or the water will be crap. Literally. All you have listed are massive poopers.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not worried about the damsels as I have the ribbion with the damsels that I plan on putting in the 180 gallon as well as the tangs that I listed here
The posts I read lacked a lot of information. It was basically "my ribbon killed my tang, swam around with it in his mouth the whole time" kind of post. No idea if the tangs were sick, injured or what. Out of 3 ribbons I have had, they never went after my live stock. They went after their food.
As far as eels go, I don't see any territorial dispute.
For enjoyment as this seems to be a long going eel tank with a mixture of fish,

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sharks are big no no in a 180. I would also steer you away from rays. Once you get rock in there, account for rapid growth, they will not have the swimming room needed. @dantimdad can shed some more light on this, as he has owned numerous sharks/rays.

Another thing to think of is bioload vs amount of water. With eels and tangs, you will need to export very heavily or the water will be crap. Literally. All you have listed are massive poopers.
What about coral cat sharks? They get only 2 feet long. Also what is the growth rate for sharks/ rays in general?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about coral cat sharks? They get only 2 feet long. Also what is the growth rate for sharks/ rays in general?
at 2' you are matching the outside dimesions of a standard 180. This does not leave much turn around room for even the smaller sharks. Growth, from my experience is from small to large quickly, as long as there is an ample amount of food. Limiting food to limit growth is not advised, as then the shark becomes malnourished and this leads to a weakened immune system, setting you up for failure.

I would suggest that if you really like eels, to specialize in them and setting up a tank with numerous types. Eels can be easily managed and you can accommodate their bioload with an oversized skimmer, ATS or other forms of nutrient export.

In short, mixing that may different types of things can be done, but usually they are done in larger tanks and by people with tons of experience with the critters.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 2' you are matching the outside dimesions of a standard 180. This does not leave much turn around room for even the smaller sharks. Growth, from my experience is from small to large quickly, as long as there is an ample amount of food. Limiting food to limit growth is not advised, as then the shark becomes malnourished and this leads to a weakened immune system, setting you up for failure.

I would suggest that if you really like eels, to specialize in them and setting up a tank with numerous types. Eels can be easily managed and you can accommodate their bioload with an oversized skimmer, ATS or other forms of nutrient export.

In short, mixing that may different types of things can be done, but usually they are done in larger tanks and by people with tons of experience with the critters.
Ok thank you for the advice! This is definitely not a finalized plan so the sharks were never a for sure thing. I also forgot to add groupers to my stocking list. Are there any that are compatible with this tank size?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for the advice! This is definitely not a finalized plan so the sharks were never a for sure thing. I also forgot to add groupers to my stocking list. Are there any that are compatible with this tank size?
A blueline or a miniatus would work, but they would need a large cave in the rocks to reside in. Others will disagree on this, but once they get large, they do not move much. The issue will become them eating everything. You will not be able to keep a fish in the tank that will fit in it's mouth or is not able to fight back against being eaten.

With that said, I would not recommend one if you want to keep anything else in the tank fish wise. And hungry, they may even go after and eel.

It would basically be a grouper only tank if kept in a standard 180.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the formosa, maybe miniatus. There's also argus/peacock grouper, which gets about the size of a miniatus. Say goodbye to those damsels at the least if you go this route, though.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blueline or a miniatus would work, but they would need a large cave in the rocks to reside in. Others will disagree on this, but once they get large, they do not move much. The issue will become them eating everything. You will not be able to keep a fish in the tank that will fit in it's mouth or is not able to fight back against being eaten.

With that said, I would not recommend one if you want to keep anything else in the tank fish wise. And hungry, they may even go after and eel.

Ok definitely dot want that I’ll steer clear. What about teethed fish like triggers and puffers? Would those fish fit in well?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forgot to add.

the groupers capture food by the shear amount of water they can suck in. All a fish has to do is whim by and one gulp with draw them into its mouth.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok definitely dot want that I’ll steer clear. What about teethed fish like triggers and puffers? Would those fish fit in well?
If you are going to keep eels, you stand the chance of both of those nipping the eels. While it may not happen. My puffers and triggers could have cared less about my ribbon and my zebra moray, I want you to be aware of that. If it does happen, puffers are easily removed, but triggers are quick and a pain in the butt to catch lol. You are also adding fish that produce a lot of waste. So you have to keep that in mind as well.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add.

the groupers capture food by the shear amount of water they can suck in. All a fish has to do is whim by and one gulp with draw them into its mouth.
Blue line would be able to eat tangs and fully grown banana spinecheecks and monocle breams? They only get 13 inches but they have the ability to eat something that large?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, sharks and rays are not suitable for our tanks for a variety of reasons. Even the small ones require 300 gallon + tanks, and they will eat any shrimp or small fish. On top of that, they can injure their snouts in our rectangular tanks. Most people recommend a rounded tank of 6 feet or more in diameter for the small species, and even bigger for the horn shark. When it comes to the eels, just have good nutrient export and sufficient hiding spots, and you should be ok. I would replace the sharks and ray with some other large fish of your choosing. Wrasses, the less aggressive triggers, angelfish, and tuskfish are all good choices. I hope that this helps!

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue line would be able to eat tangs and fully grown banana spinecheecks and monocle breams? They only get 13 inches but they have the ability to eat something that large?
Unless you're buying full grown tangs, then yes. Any small fish is fair game if the grouper has any size to it.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to keep eels, you stand the chance of both of those nipping the eels. While it may not happen. My puffers and triggers could have cared less about my ribbon and my zebra moray, I want you to be aware of that. If it does happen, puffers are easily removed, but triggers are quick and a pain in the butt to catch lol. You are also adding fish that produce a lot of waste. So you have to keep that in mind as well.
I’ll keep that in mind when I buy a protein skimmer. I’ve heard warnings of the puffers and triggers nipping eels but have never heard of anyone who has had it happen

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, sharks and rays are not suitable for our tanks for a variety of reasons. Even the small ones require 300 gallon + tanks, and they will eat any shrimp or small fish. On top of that, they can injure their snouts in our rectangular tanks. Most people recommend a rounded tank of 6 feet or more in diameter for the small species, and even bigger for the horn shark. When it comes to the eels, just have good nutrient export and sufficient hiding spots, and you should be ok. I would replace the sharks and ray with some other large fish of your choosing. Wrasses, the less aggressive triggers, angelfish, and tuskfish are all good choices. I hope that this helps!
Awesome info thanks for the reply!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're buying full grown tangs, then yes. Any small fish is fair game if the grouper has any size to it.
This right here. You would have to have full grown tangs.

Now I know this is not the same kind of grouper you would keep in a tank, but it makes a good example.

This baby goliath grouper was caught using a 3.5" pinfish as bait. The grouper is only 10". Now I know this fish is able to reach 6-8' in size, but the same applies to all groupers. They can fit quite a bit in their mouth.

the deck boards are 3.5" wide for reference.
IMG_7735.JPG

Back