2.5g Ideas!!!

chill86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was cleaning out my barn and found a aga 2.5 g aquarium. I wanted to come on here and get some ideas as to what type of tank I could make it into. Would you guys/gals use a airstone/sponge combo for filtration? I may put a few corals in it, and I want to get a led light from lowes and some how mount it on there. If anyone has a similar setup please post some pics.
Thanks!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can go many different ways.. I guess it depends on your flow and lighting to what you want to raise in the tank.
Personally a bare bottom tank give you a clean look, but you will get detriment on the bottom that will need cleaned off from time to time.

OP
OP
chill86

chill86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to use one of the new cree bulbs from lowes. Does anyone know if they stock any that would look like 14-20k?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update?

bmoore92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to add a sump to it? Otherwise with a 2.5 gallon I would guess the daily evaporation would be enough to raise the salinity to possibly lethal levels. At least water changes would be a breeze lol

OP
OP
chill86

chill86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to add a sump to it? Otherwise with a 2.5 gallon I would guess the daily evaporation would be enough to raise the salinity to possibly lethal levels. At least water changes would be a breeze lol
I do not plan on running a sump, I have a small in tank filter that I'm going to place in it and direction the flow to where there is a small amount of surface agitation. That way there will not be much evap. That is also why I want to run leds, they are not only cost efficient and look good but they also keep the temp low resulting in less evap. as well.

bmoore92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I averAge about 0.5 gallons evap on a 29 gallon frag tank per day running leds and a small HOB filter. Might be something you look further into. I averaged about the same evap on my old 65 gallon reef ready setup too. If be worried about the potential to lose 1/5 of your water volume on a daily basis without a sump.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that any of the cree bulbs at the big box stores are rated at higher that 6500k. Best bet would be a Par38 bulb (actinic and 10k) with the E27 screw in base. They are pretty easy to find on ebay. Good Luck with the tank and keep us updated.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back